RE: Omnibenevolent (all loving)
Ain't up to us to decode yer delusions. Poopyhead. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-08-2015, 09:23 PM
(19-08-2015 06:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Since when has any sect bounded its doctrine entirely within the Bible? All of them either add extrabiblical doctrine, or ignore the uncomfortable parts. No sect is both purely and wholly biblical.

As for omnibenevolence itself, clearly the Christian conception of God doesn't include that aspect, yet so many Christians do. So a better question is not why atheists argue against omnibenevolence, but why so many sects argue for it when passages like Isaiah 45:7 directly contradict it.

Furthermore, the expression of God in the Bible directly contradicts what Paul has to say about love in 1Cor13. That needs to be cleared up before this question can be answered.

"No sect is both purely and wholly biblical."

True.
If they were the members would be
- totally confused
- in prison.
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
19-08-2015, 09:39 PM
(19-08-2015 02:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 02:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, but that's not omnibenevolence. That's just measures of love; likewise, it's not saying that the love is for everyone.

You are right--but I think the church's take on it is that God's love is plentiful and vast. They would say God loves us so much, he would sacrifice his very own son for us. The people in my church--since there is no greater sacrifice--would take that to mean that God is all-loving.

I asked a question one time if God is God why was there any need for a sacrifice of any kind?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like MattB's post
19-08-2015, 09:45 PM
(19-08-2015 09:39 PM)MattB Wrote:  I asked a question one time if God is God why was there any need for a sacrifice of any kind?

Because God is an egotist, and also a bit of an asshole.

In case you needed another reason to think that.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
19-08-2015, 09:48 PM
(19-08-2015 08:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Ah...no. Paul made it up.

Read that again. Slowly.
Ah, you made it up about PaulTongue

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-08-2015, 09:50 PM
(19-08-2015 09:39 PM)MattB Wrote:  I asked a question one time if God is God why was there any need for a sacrifice of any kind?
Without sacrifice even if God forgives you, you still can not enter His Kingdom.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-08-2015, 09:52 PM
(19-08-2015 09:50 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Without sacrifice even if God forgives you, you still can not enter His Kingdom.

Because you see, Alla's weak impotent god is not the master/creator of Reality, but is subject to it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-08-2015, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2015 10:55 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(19-08-2015 09:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 08:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Ah...no. Paul made it up.

Read that again. Slowly.
Ah, you made it up about PaulTongue

No.

Paul was the first ever to document this. If you think he wasn't, prove it.

You don't know the history, so you state your guess as fact.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
19-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Because...

[Image: th?id=JN.xVA6mT0XlfgBXdG5IGB8%2bQ&am...;amp;h=300]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-08-2015, 06:52 AM
(19-08-2015 09:50 PM)Alla Wrote:  

Obviously repentance can't be sincere unless it is drenched in innocent blood because god so loves his creation. Or something like that anyway.
Drinking Beverage

Sometimes I swear this must be an experiment to see how convoluted and ridiculous can the story be made and still have people believe it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post