Omnipresent Silliness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Omnipresent Silliness
There are many attributes of God which clearly aren't constant, are easy to come up with counterexamples of, and are boldly ridiculous. Many people have picked on omnipotence, pointing out that "God could not make a rock so big that He could not lift it" or that God is unable to sin, or that free will trumps his power every time. Many have also picked on omniscience, saying that a God who knows what it is like to commit evil is not a good God, or that a God who knows all seems to be unable to communicate important unknown ideas such as how to cure cancer.

Today I'm going to pick on omnipresence -- God's trait of being everywhere simultaneously.

This has been picked on too, of course. Ricky Gervais tells us how he, as a smart-assed kid, asked his teacher "Is God up my ass? Is He up your ass?" and these things, as silly and crude as they are, demonstrate the flawed thinking of apologists. The bible does place God in physical locations, such as on the Judgement Seat in heaven, although it would not be so humbling if the repentant sinner before the Judgement Seat realized that God was simultaneously under his shoe (or up his ass).

My question is this: how can anyone picture hell as "separation from God"? Can someone actually be separated from a being who is everywhere? If hell is a place, and God is in every place, then God is also spending eternity in hell.

Some apologists may argue that it's not a physical separation but a "spiritual" one, as if God is right there but just ignoring the burning sinners. However, people already exist in that state right now. I don't feel the "hand of God" or "hear his voice"... I live like He doesn't exist because I see and hear no evidence of Him. Is this hell? Is there a difference?

But I don't feel too far removed from God. After all, He's right here taking a crap with me.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
21-07-2012, 11:38 PM
RE: Omnipresent Silliness
(21-07-2012 11:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Today I'm going to ...

Reminds me of my old vicar.

I certainly would not object to hearing a Starcrash Sermon of the Week.

(21-07-2012 11:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  But I don't feel too far removed from God. After all, He's right here taking a crap with me.

Or even helping your crap down its passage (if you go along with Ricky).

In my neck of the woods, I rarely meet anyone who believes in Hell (figuratively or literally) but there are plenty who fear death (fear of the unknown). Couple that with wishful-thinking and you get belief / denial / spirituality etc.

I try the "what were you afraid of before you were born" tack and this usually causes a small intake of realisation-breath, but it does not take the fear away.

Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Generally the idea of god being everywhere in everything means he's inside the rapist, child molestor, dictor and even inside the atheist refuting him self.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
22-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:"God could not make a rock so big that He could not lift it"

He could if he had power over paradox, which an omnipotent entity would.

Just sayin.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Did I mention, fuck you?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
22-07-2012, 10:50 PM
(22-07-2012 12:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did I mention, fuck you?
I have no idea who that's aimed at. I would personally take offense, but your signature with Gwyneth's picture tempers it so nicely. It's like punching someone in the arm and them giving them an ice cream cone.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
23-07-2012, 12:43 AM
(22-07-2012 10:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 12:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did I mention, fuck you?
I have no idea who that's aimed at. I would personally take offense, but your signature with Gwyneth's picture tempers it so nicely. It's like punching someone in the arm and them giving them an ice cream cone.
Big Grin
I was drinking and stuff, and started up a big ol' rant - and edited.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-07-2012, 12:49 AM
(23-07-2012 12:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 10:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I have no idea who that's aimed at. I would personally take offense, but your signature with Gwyneth's picture tempers it so nicely. It's like punching someone in the arm and them giving them an ice cream cone.
Big Grin
I was drinking and stuff, and started up a big ol' rant - and edited.
Yep, that can happen Laughat

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)