Omnithread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2010, 08:22 PM

RE: Omnithread
Of course, but that is contingent upon free will, and unless I encounter a valid argument against what I have outlined, then as far as I'm concerned, existing within a universe with a god, such as Yahweh, demands there be no free will. It's like arguing over the construction of a roof, when there aren't any walls built.
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Yep. But the theist argues from a position which assumes that free will has been proven. From this position, there is nothing wrong with omnibenevolence. Proving free will is an entirely different matter, though, and I haven't seen anyone prove it yet.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2010, 08:32 PM

I think that the possibilities of a humans actions, are restricted by their environment, evolutionary capacity, and universal constraints. Otherwise, anything within those boundaries is free game.
26-04-2010, 08:40 PM
(26-04-2010 08:32 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  I think that the possibilities of a humans actions, are restricted by their environment, evolutionary capacity, and universal constraints. Otherwise, anything within those boundaries is free game.

What do you mean?

- Terry Pratchett
26-04-2010, 08:44 PM

What I am saying is that free will, exists for a human within those boundaries. Outside of that and it becomes effectively impossible for a human to navigate; i.e. a human is not capable of acting outside of its nature; else it would no longer be human.
26-04-2010, 08:48 PM
(26-04-2010 08:44 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  What I am saying is that free will, exists for a human within those boundaries. Outside of that and it becomes effectively impossible for a human to navigate; i.e. a human is not capable of acting outside of its nature; else it would no longer be human.

And how far do you think that these constraints extend? What is the mechanism by which you think free will functions?
Scratch that, I'm moving this to a new thread, as it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "omni-" anything.

- Terry Pratchett
26-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Omniunderwear, If Yahweh is everywhere at once, and he is clothed, then does he have an almost infinite amount of underwear?
26-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, duh. Big Grin

- Terry Pratchett
26-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Yahweh is presented as being omnipresent. So, logically that would mean that he is everywhere physically, and metaphysically. This would imply that he is everywhere that anything horrible is happening, as well as everywhere in hell. Therefore, is Yahweh conditionally sadistic?