On Death and Dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
RE: On Death and Dying
All in all we do not know if our lives will truly be over after death. I will say that I find it unlikely that it will be anything else but oblivion, and to be frank it does not even matter whether or not there is an afterlife with regards to my own life and the way I live it. I am going to assume this is the only life I have and I wish to live it. If there is an afterlife I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Right now, I'm alive and I want to experience it as fully as I can. What I sometimes worry about is not being able to do that and realizing this when I am say 80 years of age and can assume that my end will not be that far away and most of my life is behind me. To illustrate: I would love to go to some place in the High North like Sweden, Norway or maybe even Alaska, and learn how to mush dogs, do some races. It is appealing to me in so many ways. Yet, here I am as a student to make sure I have some degrees when I get back. When I finish my education I may be offered a job straight away, and the safest option (financially) would be to just accept it. However, I fear that doing that will mean that I will not be able to live my dream while I am still young, and will mean postponing it until I don't know when.

Those are the things that cross my mind when I consider my mortality. The fact that there is so much I want to do and hope to experience. Things of which I think they will give me some sort of valuable experience or wisdom so that when I do reach my eighties I will have lived life and can come to terms with my inevitable death.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply