On Santa Claus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2013, 11:08 PM
On Santa Claus
Tell me, when was the first time you know that santa claus was huge disappointing myth? I believe this is probably are very first threshold we pass on the path of skepticism and possibly atheism. What made you question its validity? If you never had a belief in the jolly old fat elf, was there anything else your parents lied to you about? Tooth fairy perhaps? Would you do or have done something like this to your children? Why?
I'll share you my Santa Claus story. I suppose I was around 4 or 5, I began noticing patterns. It was the writings on gifts "FROM SANTA" This writing looked so familiar to me. I know I seen it before. It wasn't only at my house about also my grandmothers house. The same exact writing. Then..one day I saw something my dad wrote. IT MATCHED! Same style same everything! Then one christmas morning I noticed foot prints covered in snow in the house leading in and outside the house. But know..it wasn't snow but baking soda. I had the upset tummy to prove it..come on how else was I to tell but eat it?Tongue (same thing happened on easter when I bit into carrot shaped chalk. It looked so much like candySad) It was my dad all along! I even found the powdered boot so there we go, no more santa claus.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2013, 11:56 PM
RE: On Santa Claus
To tell the truth, I don't remember a time in my life that I ever thought that santa was real. Can't say the same for yahweh, but I've grown up a bit.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
29-09-2013, 12:32 AM
(28-09-2013 11:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  To tell the truth, I don't remember a time in my life that I ever thought that santa was real. Can't say the same for yahweh, but I've grown up a bit.

Nonsense, we are all children at heart. Angel

My belief in Santa Claus was randomly shattered at around 7 or 8 years of age by my parents when they randomly told me while picking me up from school one day that they were in fact "Santa Claus." I remember having a classmate before this who would give reasons for why Santa Claus was bullshit, but me and the fellow classmates didn't believe him and frequently invoked the Appeal to Magic argument while defending Ole Nick (Eg: HE CAN VISIT EVERY BOY AND GIRL IN ONE DAY BECAUSE MAGIC!)

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
29-09-2013, 12:45 AM
(29-09-2013 12:32 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 11:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  To tell the truth, I don't remember a time in my life that I ever thought that santa was real. Can't say the same for yahweh, but I've grown up a bit.

Nonsense, we are all children at heart. Angel

My belief in Santa Claus was randomly shattered at around 7 or 8 years of age by my parents when they randomly told me while picking me up from school one day that they were in fact "Santa Claus." I remember having a classmate before this who would give reasons for why Santa Claus was bullshit, but me and the fellow classmates didn't believe him and frequently invoked the Appeal to Magic argument while defending Ole Nick (Eg: HE CAN VISIT EVERY BOY AND GIRL IN ONE DAY BECAUSE MAGIC!)

Honestly, I don't know. But I can't actually remember ever seriously believing that santa clause was real. I probably did at some point in my early childhood, I've long since burned the brain cells holding those memories, though. I only remember playing along.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
29-09-2013, 12:56 AM
(29-09-2013 12:45 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(29-09-2013 12:32 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Nonsense, we are all children at heart. Angel

Honestly, I don't know. But I can't actually remember ever seriously believing that santa clause was real. I probably did at some point in my early childhood, I've long since burned the brain cells holding those memories, though. I only remember playing along.

That whole "we are all children at heart" wasn't debating your attested lack of belief in Santa Claus, it was a tsk tsk to your naive statement to having "grown up a bit." Laugh out load

[Image: giphy.gif]
29-09-2013, 01:04 AM
I can't remember the exact date, but I got one of these in the late 90's "from Santa".
By accident, I think.

[Image: woodydoll.jpg]

My dad's mom liked keeping the Santa story going for my younger cousins, & I knew that already, but if I hadn't yet, that would have been my "this is BULLshit" moment Dodgy

29-09-2013, 07:21 AM
(29-09-2013 01:04 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I can't remember the exact date, but I got one of these in the late 90's "from Santa".
By accident, I think.

[Image: woodydoll.jpg]

My dad's mom liked keeping the Santa story going for my younger cousins, & I knew that already, but if I hadn't yet, that would have been my "this is BULLshit" moment Dodgy
That is another interesting point, how does everyone feel about keeping the illusion of santa to our younger generation of our families. Do you think it would stunt imaginative insights of children? My step cousins firmly believed in santa while he was 14. He used santa radar on the internet and gps..but really? 14? I blame this squarely on the mother but yeah.. Think about this, we are skeptical here it sure hasn't stunted our imaginations. In most cases vastly improved if you want to look at our past and current writers and movie makers.
29-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I never believed in Santa. Since I wasn't taught about anything religious, the idea of a magic man coming down a chimney (which my house didn't even have) was hard to take seriously. My first theory was that my parents were responsible. So, on Christmas eve, I stayed awake, waited, and saw my father place a gift under the tree. I suppose my first experiment was to debunk Santa. I wasn't disappointed because the Santa myth was just a game to me. I don't know how young I was, but I was too short to reach the counters in the kitchen, so I was pretty young.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
29-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't think that I instantly found out the truth about Santa. There were suspicions at an early age that were later confirmed. Then (as the oldest of three by a number of years) it was passed on to me to help keep the magic alive for my much younger siblings. I didn't really feel deceived or crushed by the knowledge that there was no Santa. I was well aware of other tales due to reading a lot. I knew that some things were a lot of fun but they weren't necessarily 'real'.

I think the biggest giveaway on the Santa myth is wrapping paper. If kids see the same wrapping paper at the house before or after Christmas...hmmmm...look Santa used the sames paper as mom does...hey, wait a minute...

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Never believed that stuff. Chimney went right to the furnace. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post