On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2013, 10:10 PM
RE: On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair
White people! Am I right?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 06:26 PM
On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high school
What sort of stuff did they have on display??? This is like a cliff hanger for me... so curious!
21-01-2013, 03:36 AM
RE: On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high
(19-01-2013 06:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What sort of stuff did they have on display??? This is like a cliff hanger for me... so curious!

Yeah, me too, I'm all like:

[Image: cliffhanger-1.gif]

WTF?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
26-01-2013, 09:35 PM
(19-01-2013 06:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What sort of stuff did they have on display??? This is like a cliff hanger for me... so curious!
My favorite was an experiment to see what type of filler material produced the best results in a baseball bat. They performed extensive tests to rule out fluke results along with numerous filler materials. Their board was the best decorated with the best graph info and most detailed data. The idea itself wasn't spectacular but I thought they had the most accurate results out of anyone else.

Another was a research experiment to compare genome size with cell and animal size.

The worst was a girl who tested which would be better for dying fingernail polish. A professional aerosol polish dryer or air dry. Hmmm. I fucking wonder which is better. She only performed the test once and only on one finger each. Her board was bright pink and had a couple of pictures from the internet glued to it.

One of the other good ones was a girl tested seedlings in the microwave to see what kind of impact microwaves had on how the plant grew. She ran the test on two sets of plants and got surprisingly consistent results. She would microwave the seeds in the soil not long after planting and then let them grow to see how they were affected. 2 seconds seem to make no difference, 4 was slightly more growth, 6 even more growth, 8 grew the largest plants, 10 grew a wilted and sickly plant, and 12 barely sprouted. She even brought the pea plants into the school to have on display. I thought it was interesting because it could directly affect the way we grow crops if there is potential for greater yield using microwaves. She was also aware of the types of test that would be needed to verify that any possible edible crops wouldn't be harmful.

There were a lot of music experiments. Maybe 10 total. Stuff like does listening to classical music help you take a test better.

After the first couple of projects I started deducting points for people who had stolen their idea from a website. They actually would tell me when I asked that they got the idea by searching online for science experiment ideas. I gave extra points to people who thought up their own experiements because they were genuinely curious to know something.

2 girls worked together on a project that I thought was interesting but I couldn't give them the nod because they didn't test it properly. They ordered an ant farm and attempted to test if worker ants were more loyal to the colony based on whether or not the colony had a queen. The ant farm didn't have one and as they would allow workers out to find food they left around they noticed that the ants didn't return the food to the colony. They picked up the food and ran away. They didn't however have an ant farm with a queen so they had to use a real ant hill. With such variables I couldn't score them very high but I liked the idea so they were still my 3rd or 4th favorite.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
22-02-2013, 12:40 AM
RE: On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high sc
Some of these kids could have potential; not all kids in Christian schools are there willingly. In fact, one of my friends is going to school for his PhD in topology and he went to a Catholic school all his life.