On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2013, 04:58 PM
On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high school
When I was made aware of the need for judge I thought it was a local public school by almost the exact same name. I figured it was supposed to be an 'e' instead of a 'u' in the name so I volunteered. I just got an email from the principal about the details of the fair and discovered it is in fact a different school.

This is their welcoming statement from the website.
Quote:seeks to provide students with the opportunity for college-preparatory education set in the framework of Christian instruction and example. To this end, the school offers boys and girls rigorous academic instruction, challenging athletic and recreational activities and creative expression in the fine arts. Each of these opportunities is ultimately grounded in a desire to educate the heart.

By “education of the heart” we mean addressing issues from a Christian perspective and allowing our students the opportunity to begin to understand themselves and the world around them from a Christian world view. Some of this education of the heart is formal (Chapel, Bible classes and studies, counseling), while the rest happens as the faculty and the students interact in the normal flow of school activity. This, then, is a truly holistic view of education--a desire to educate the whole child: academically, physically, socially, and spiritually. The key to what we are doing is the faculty, who serve as role models in each of these areas as men and women mature in their professional growth and Christian faith.

I'm still going to judge it but it came as a bit of a shock when I realized I was mistaken. An atheist judging a science fair at a nationally recognized Christian academy. They are going to outline the judging criteria when we arrive at the school on Thursday afternoon. I'll probably be focusing on 2 things mostly though. How original is the experiment and how closely was the scientific method followed.

Dis gun be good

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like germanyt's post
15-01-2013, 05:01 PM
RE: On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious
Is this the school I think it is?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-01-2013, 05:02 PM
air a=ol
You need to record this!

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 3 users Like Question's post
15-01-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: air a=ol
(15-01-2013 05:02 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  You need to record this!

No kidding....sounds like fun!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-01-2013, 05:04 PM
(15-01-2013 05:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Is this the school I think it is?
No lol. Dunham.

side note
How you gonna let my call go to v/m and post in my thread at the same time? You dodgin me brah?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
15-01-2013, 05:09 PM
(15-01-2013 05:04 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 05:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Is this the school I think it is?
No lol. Dunham.

side note
How you gonna let my call go to v/m and post in my thread at the same time? You dodgin me brah?
Sitting at my desk about to do orientation. Can't answer the cell Undecided

Will call you later, though.

And yes, Denham/Dunham... got it.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
15-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Science fairs are usually fun. Thumbsup

I'm betting they will mostly focus on mechanics, engineering, robotics, though, you know - the practical stuff. I'm kind of betting they steer clear of the biological stuff; wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers thinking too intimately about the origins of man!

But you never know about some kids... could be an uppity little atheist lurking about. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-01-2013, 05:11 PM
On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair
Science fairs are usually fun. Thumbsup

I'm betting they will mostly focus on mechanics, engineering, robotics, though, you know - the practical stuff. I'm kind of betting they steer clear of the biological stuff; wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers thinking too intimately about the origins of man!

But you never know about some kids... could be an uppity little atheist lurking about. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
15-01-2013, 05:15 PM
(15-01-2013 05:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 05:04 PM)germanyt Wrote:  No lol. Dunham.

side note
Sitting at my desk about to do orientation. Can't answer the cell Undecided

Will call you later, though.

And yes, Denham/Dunham... got it.
Were you thinking Dunham? I figured you were thinking PVB.

-Mark Twain
15-01-2013, 05:17 PM
On Thurs I'll be a judging a science fair at a very prestigious Christian high sc
Oh, I gotta' hear this! Keep us informed with up-to-the-minute details, GT!

Thumbsup

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Percepticon's post