29-11-2017, 09:03 AM
RE: On becoming an Atheist
Well, hi! And welcome! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Hi, newbie here from Louisiana! Big Grin
I'd love to share how I became an atheist, and how my family reacted. Smile To oversimplify, I never did completely agree with Christianity, and especially not the fundamentalist religious experience I was brought up in. I couldn't reconcile the "fact" that all my good, kind family members were maybe going to hell because they weren't the "right" version of Christianity. Plus, even as a young child, I knew the bible contradicted itself and wasn't a very good moral compass.
Eventually I became more liberal in my mindset. It got to the point where I was almost deistic in my beliefs. Then I found YouTube videos by Richard Dawkins, Dan Barker, and the Thinking Atheist Podcast especially. Those helped me figure out the questions I had in my mind, and of course there were many hours of research involved, because hello, science and reason?
Anyway, to wrap it up, I was a closeted atheist for over a year. Due to personal things, a family member found out, and helped me tell the rest of the family. I am 19, and only have a part-time job so I can't support myself financially. I had been so afraid of being kicked out. To my surprise my family accepted me. They said they didn't understand, and said that they would pray for me, but they loved me anyway, and would continue to be there for me. They've respected my wish not to debate or preach to me. It's been almost a month since I've been out to them, and though there were some tears involved, for the most part, everything has been going good. Another thanks to the Thinking Atheist Podcast for being there when I needed a kind friend to listen to.
Did I say this was short? Sorry. Tongue

-Malaina N.
[+] 6 users Like Nic_98's post
30-11-2017, 10:01 AM
(20-11-2017 08:48 PM)qwerty101 Wrote:  So now that I'm here I may a swell tell you what brought me here.

In a nutshell, I guess I'm still a Catholic because I haven't being excommunicated yet, but recently I've come to the conclusion that I don't believe in monotheism.

> What you need now is a Certificate of De-Baptism:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/americ.../81929739/
30-11-2017, 11:36 AM
(29-11-2017 11:32 AM)Nic_98 Wrote:  Hi, newbie here from Louisiana! Big Grin
I'd love to share how I became an atheist, and how my family reacted. Smile To oversimplify, I never did completely agree with Christianity, and especially not the fundamentalist religious experience I was brought up in. I couldn't reconcile the "fact" that all my good, kind family members were maybe going to hell because they weren't the "right" version of Christianity. Plus, even as a young child, I knew the bible contradicted itself and wasn't a very good moral compass.
Eventually I became more liberal in my mindset. It got to the point where I was almost deistic in my beliefs. Then I found YouTube videos by Richard Dawkins, Dan Barker, and the Thinking Atheist Podcast especially. Those helped me figure out the questions I had in my mind, and of course there were many hours of research involved, because hello, science and reason?
Anyway, to wrap it up, I was a closeted atheist for over a year. Due to personal things, a family member found out, and helped me tell the rest of the family. I am 19, and only have a part-time job so I can't support myself financially. I had been so afraid of being kicked out. To my surprise my family accepted me. They said they didn't understand, and said that they would pray for me, but they loved me anyway, and would continue to be there for me. They've respected my wish not to debate or preach to me. It's been almost a month since I've been out to them, and though there were some tears involved, for the most part, everything has been going good. Another thanks to the Thinking Atheist Podcast for being there when I needed a kind friend to listen to.
Did I say this was short? Sorry. Tongue

-Malaina N.

Welcome to the forum Smile

I'm sorry to hear it has caused some strife with your family, but I'm pleased to see they reacted a lot better than some. They seem to respect you, and haven't trashed you just for disagreeing with them.

I hope things continue to go smoothly, and that you enjoy the forum!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Hello and welcome!