On being human, and atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Question On being human, and atheist...
I'm pretty new to atheism, and I can't shake the idea that as people find out I no longer believe in God, they'll attribute my flaws (the same ones I've had all along!) to my atheism. I can't be the first who's felt this way. Dodgy How long did it take for you to feel comfortable being human again?[/font]

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 09:22 PM
RE: On being human, and atheist...
Instantaneously. Then Again I've never fallen for the lies of religion.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I didn't come out to almost anybody until I was already pretty comfortable with my atheism, so I can't really relate.
05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.
You'll find a variety of folks here, some who have experiences very close to yours. I'm still trying to figure "it" all out myself so if you get the answer, let me know too! Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, I've been there:
- Yeah, your car broke because you don't believe in God
- You couldn't do it because your lack of faith!
Or even worse:
- Oh, got the Job?? See, God is helping you. Why don't you believe? He does all these good things for you!!

Don't worry. We know that shit happens even if you believe in any of the many deities available out there. One thing is for sure: there's no god to blame when things go bad... and there is no god to pray when all is fine.

Don't let other people's guilts and fears affect you. They are projecting themselves.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 3 users Like KVron's post
06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
My friends all know I am atheist; by them knowing I found out a close friend of mine is also Atheist. Not only that but another close friend of mine stepped off the religion wagon and over the last few months I have watched him completely jump off (figuratively speaking of course Smile). My parents aren't really religious so I don't think they care; in fact I find my dad agreeing with me on many issues in conversation.

My point is I think you will know who to come out too. If you feel someone will not accept it then maybe you should just leave things as they are with them because you probably are not going to change their thinking. I feel Atheism is something you have to find on your own. Then again if someone will not accept you for who you are and what you believe; maybe they shouldn't be in your life.
06-02-2012, 07:06 PM
If people don't accept you for your beliefs, tell those idiots to read this:

Don't leave false illusions behind
Don't cry cause I ain't changing my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I ain't gonna live anymore believing
Some of the lies while all of the signs are deceiving.

If that doesn't work. Tell them to go fuck themselves. They are too dumb to understand.
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Here's a nice website with interesting articles to get you started Smile
Ebon Musings

If people attribute your flaws to atheism, ask them to justify it. Usually their arguments involve an ad hominem attack or strawmen. Understand why they would say such things, be accepting and kindly tell them the truth.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
15-02-2012, 06:18 PM
(06-02-2012 08:38 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Here's a nice website with interesting articles to get you started Smile
Ebon Musings

If people attribute your flaws to atheism, ask them to justify it. Usually their arguments involve an ad hominem attack or strawmen. Understand why they would say such things, be accepting and kindly tell them the truth.

Thanks, you get it. It's not about coming out or being accepted or bad things happening....it's about human frailty...the same human frailty I had when I was Christian...which now will be interpreted as a failure due to my nonbelief.

You know, "oh, you overeat? It's because you need God in your life" or, "if you were a believer wouldn't use that language" and, "when you were a Christian you never would have gotten so impatient with that man."

None of this has ever happened and probably won't...just something I get around to mulling over as I navigate my new path. Thanks for your thoughts, peeps.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
15-02-2012, 06:30 PM
(05-02-2012 08:53 PM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  I'm pretty new to atheism, and I can't shake the idea that as people find out I no longer believe in God, they'll attribute my flaws (the same ones I've had all along!) to my atheism. I can't be the first who's felt this way. Dodgy How long did it take for you to feel comfortable being human again?[/font]

ValerieAnn,

This is my wife's "coming out" story - it might help...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/04/...erson.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post