On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
RE: On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists
'Now is the only real time at your disposal' (forget who said that).

'Who then remains unconquerable, he whom the inevitable cannot overcome' Epictetus

or

for the metaphysically inclined..............................

"Draw the curtains, the farce is over. I'm waiting for a great perhaps" Rabelais.Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 01:54 AM
(08-04-2013 07:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  The younger you are, the stranger the concept of death is, and the more it scares you (as a rule).

As you get older the concept becomes more and more normal.

Once your peers are dying off, you start embracing the idea.

That is the natural course of it, and that is a very good thing.

Of course there are exceptions, I have considered death a friend for a very long time. It's like this is all a movie, and you can go and turn it off anytime.

So you won't be seeing me in any assisted living facilities, I figure when the body or the mind has run it's course, it's time to go.

Meanwhile, like the OP, I make sure I enjoy life to the fullest. I don't have time for drama and the like. I do have time for things I find enjoyable, and I enjoy as many of them every day as I possibly can.

Life is short is such a platitude, but there is a lot of truth to it. The thing young people don't get, is that only your body gets old and used up. Barring dementia, your mind never gets old. You never really feel old, and your childhood seems to have been just yesterday.

Like my mom said on her death bed: "Here I am, a young girl in an old woman's body. "

I nodded and thought I understood, but, really, I didn't quite get what that means until now.

What she said.Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-04-2013, 01:22 PM

I was a soldier long ago and saw plenty of death ad participated in it.
I think many people need to grasp just how brutal life can be for the poor and sick. Many atheist or I would say most are from fairly affluent family's (by world standards) Death is a great loss to one who derives pleasure out of life but when life brings unremitting suffering then it is another matter.

I personally believe that mind is a constituent of reality,matter and mind being two sides of one coin. So I believe ind goes not like a wave on an ocean when conditions arise individual awareness arises when they cease(death) it returns to the source, until conditions arise again. Never the less What is feared is loss of loved ones not loss of self.For me love is more important than anything else.

The comforting thought of suicide has gotten me through many a dark night
Arthur SchopenhauerTongue
22-04-2013, 01:29 PM
(22-04-2013 01:22 PM)Aethelwulf Wrote:  What is feared is loss of loved ones not loss of self.

I agree.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-04-2013, 02:26 PM
(22-04-2013 01:22 PM)Aethelwulf Wrote:  
I was a soldier long ago and saw plenty of death ad participated in it.
I think many people need to grasp just how brutal life can be for the poor and sick. Many atheist or I would say most are from fairly affluent family's (by world standards) Death is a great loss to one who derives pleasure out of life but when life brings unremitting suffering then it is another matter.

I personally believe that mind is a constituent of reality,matter and mind being two sides of one coin. So I believe ind goes not like a wave on an ocean when conditions arise individual awareness arises when they cease(death) it returns to the source, until conditions arise again. Never the less What is feared is loss of loved ones not loss of self.For me love is more important than anything else.

I think that the brutality of life, and the povery in many places, does tend to bring the "less fortunate" to a belief in an afterlife. But it's a double edged sword. When you choose a deity, you have to choose to fight for it! You have to become a killer in many cases. There is no "Source" Only people who fear death and will do anything to escape it. They are not "Evil", but they should be stopped. Because they only cause harm.
25-04-2013, 09:50 PM
(12-08-2011 06:20 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists

We all die some day. We don’t like to think about it and keep ourselves busy, starting projects with definite goals and completion timeframes and that gives us a feeling of permanence. We don’t look beyond the projected end-dates, this way we don’t have to think about the futility of it all.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not depressed or scared, I am only brutally honest with myself.

What intrigues me is that my death will be a unique event in the universe. It has never happened before and it will only happen once. The fact that billions of human beings have died during history and a lot more will, every day, is not really relevant. My death will still be a unique event.

In a way, when I die, the world will die too. My world. The only one that exists for me. The one that started when I was born and will end with me. All the stars will wink out, all the people, cities, buildings, mountains, oceans will be gone too. Cats, dogs, butterflies, squirrels, deer, raccoons, roses, sunflowers all disappear.

I was totally convinced about oblivion after a surgery. I remember the doctor talking to me and then, in an eye-blink, talking to me again – except that was 3 hours later. I had total oblivion for 3 hours. If that can happen for 3 hours, it can happen for eternity.

In view of the above, I find human causes and obsessions pretty silly. Why work ourselves up into a state, why get so excited about non-issues? Try to live, day by day, the best way we can, without hurting anyone, maximizing comfort and minimizing pain. It will be over soon.

Of course young people (which I am not) can not live like that, they need to believe in the future, they need to have goals and a feeling of progress, accomplishments. However, one word of caution: don’t live too much in the future: enjoy every second of your life in the present to the fullest because it will never come back. With every extra day you live, you have one less day left.

With this cheerful thought I will go back to building my greenhouse because I want to eat my own home-grown fresh tomatoes in January.

Curious if anyone has intriguing (as opposed to predictable) thoughts on the subject.
Just because an atheist believes there is nothing afterwards does not make it so. Now I ask you, does this bring hope or despair?
25-04-2013, 09:51 PM
double post
26-04-2013, 08:25 AM
(25-04-2013 09:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-08-2011 06:20 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists

We all die some day. We don’t like to think about it and keep ourselves busy, starting projects with definite goals and completion timeframes and that gives us a feeling of permanence. We don’t look beyond the projected end-dates, this way we don’t have to think about the futility of it all.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not depressed or scared, I am only brutally honest with myself.

What intrigues me is that my death will be a unique event in the universe. It has never happened before and it will only happen once. The fact that billions of human beings have died during history and a lot more will, every day, is not really relevant. My death will still be a unique event.

In a way, when I die, the world will die too. My world. The only one that exists for me. The one that started when I was born and will end with me. All the stars will wink out, all the people, cities, buildings, mountains, oceans will be gone too. Cats, dogs, butterflies, squirrels, deer, raccoons, roses, sunflowers all disappear.

I was totally convinced about oblivion after a surgery. I remember the doctor talking to me and then, in an eye-blink, talking to me again – except that was 3 hours later. I had total oblivion for 3 hours. If that can happen for 3 hours, it can happen for eternity.

In view of the above, I find human causes and obsessions pretty silly. Why work ourselves up into a state, why get so excited about non-issues? Try to live, day by day, the best way we can, without hurting anyone, maximizing comfort and minimizing pain. It will be over soon.

Of course young people (which I am not) can not live like that, they need to believe in the future, they need to have goals and a feeling of progress, accomplishments. However, one word of caution: don’t live too much in the future: enjoy every second of your life in the present to the fullest because it will never come back. With every extra day you live, you have one less day left.

With this cheerful thought I will go back to building my greenhouse because I want to eat my own home-grown fresh tomatoes in January.

Curious if anyone has intriguing (as opposed to predictable) thoughts on the subject.
Just because an atheist believes there is nothing afterwards does not make it so. Now I ask you, does this bring hope or despair?

There is no evidence of a hereafter.

A rational person does not select facts by what emotions they evoke.

You find the idea of no hereafter scary. Deal with it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2013, 09:06 AM
(25-04-2013 09:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just because an atheist believes there is nothing afterwards does not make it so. Now I ask you, does this bring hope or despair?

Hope. Consciousness kinda sux. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2013, 10:03 AM
(26-04-2013 08:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 09:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  Just because an atheist believes there is nothing afterwards does not make it so. Now I ask you, does this bring hope or despair?

There is no evidence of a hereafter.

A rational person does not select facts by what emotions they evoke.

You find the idea of no hereafter scary. Deal with it.
Respectfully you are mistaken. I have no fear of dying. Also, your statement of a rational person does not select facts by what emotions they evoke ends in hypocritical reasoning. Hence it is itself irrational. We are not robots. Death is a fact but what happens after death is an unknown. So your statement is no different then saying the desire to live is irrational.