On facebook do you ever get the urge to do this....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 04:59 PM
On facebook do you ever get the urge to do this....
Honestly, this might make me a bad person, I don't know. But whenever on facebook I read somebody say, "Thank god that my sister had a healthy baby." Or, "Thank god I passed my test."

The first thing that comes to mind is an overwhelming urge to reply with 2 simple words...

"You're welcome!" Big Grin

Hahaha, but I never do Sad Anybody ever done this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
15-11-2013, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 05:08 PM by Logisch.)
RE: On facebook do you ever get the urge to do this....
I've deleted the people that post nothing but religious crap off my facebook. For a few reasons...

- If you argue with them on facebook, your friends and anyone else gets to read your argument.
- If you're employed and you have coworkers on your facebook, they get to read it too.
- Some may think it's funny, others might think you're just a dick.

I recently have removed literally all public content from my facebook and set almost everything to private and friends only. Mostly because of some extremely uncomfortable invasion of privacy. However, it was my fault for leaving my info out there. Don't underrate the power of social suicide on the internet. Anyway, that's just my $.02. If someone annoys the fuck out of you on FB, why have them on your fb at all?

I also delete people who cause nothing but drama. I don't want to spend the time on drama, fuck drama.

The other thing about this is... people take offense to confrontation in front of their friends. If you messaged them one on one they'll likely discuss things with you. Comment something satirical to make light of them and it'll likely end up in an argument in which neither party is willing to take into consideration any viewpoints. Just an argument (and then you're the party responsible for the drama).

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I keep people on my facebook who I care about knowing how they are in life. I don't delete people if they say things that annoy me, I can't expect everybody to think like me. I actually like being friends with my friends and family and having them know I am an atheist, because that means they have somebody to talk to about atheism if they ever need to (hasn't happened yet!) I do agree about the private and public content though. I locked my facebook up and the only public content you can find about me is my picture and name. Possibly my state as well. And I NEVER add coworkers that I am currently working with, unless I know they aren't Christian before I add them (other religions tend to be fine).

That being said, I never have religious arguments on facebook. I see people post stupid religious stuff from time to time, if it annoys me enough then I "hide posts from this person from my timeline."

But that urge to say "you are welcome" whenever anybody says "thank god." is getting almost reflexive. I've said it to my gf a few times haha.
15-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Re: On facebook do you ever get the urge to do this....
Thank God I don't see posts like that on FB... Oops.

I've thought of it but it plays differently for me because I always get the, you look like Jesus convos cause of my hairs

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I've never done that.

However, when people post Bible versus I'm usually tempted to respond with another verse that contradicts the one they just shared or if they post a trite, Bibley (is that a word?) meme I have to resist the urge to respond with cold, hard logic.

Unless I know someone welcomes debate, I try to play nice.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-11-2013, 07:46 PM
As a side note. I do notice that those who identify as Christian, are also the ones that constantly "share" urban myths on Facebook without bothering to even use a basic google or snopes.com search. The ramen noodles made of wax coating is making the rounds again.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
15-11-2013, 07:54 PM
(15-11-2013 04:59 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Honestly, this might make me a bad person, I don't know. But whenever on facebook I read somebody say, "Thank god that my sister had a healthy baby." Or, "Thank god I passed my test."

The first thing that comes to mind is an overwhelming urge to reply with 2 simple words...

"You're welcome!" Big Grin

Hahaha, but I never do Sad Anybody ever done this?

No, never thought of it. But I will now. Evil_monster

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I've lost far too many potential friends over arguments that were kindled from a simple, non offensive statement.

Now, I just choose to stay neutral on issues when it comes to friends and family.

It's always best if you choose to have logic on your side, because if you come from a standpoint of logic, no one can tell you that you are wrong.
15-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't want to make too many posts on my first day, but this seems like an interesting topic. Smile

I'm never sarcastic towards family or close friends unless they post/share something that is ludicrously false. For example, towards the end of last year my youngest cousin shared an article about Heaven and Hell being "documented, proven real places" because of a series of supposed near death experiences. (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) After that I blocked her and told the family I deleted my account because it was too much trouble to maintain. I feel a little bad about lying, but it was physically painful to read those lies and propaganda every morning.

As far as more innocent posts like "thank god for"s and similar things....I usually just scroll right past them and try not to dwell. I don't expect them to dwell on my atheist posts so I don't do the equivalent. Even though I really, really want to sometimes.

I'm actually more inclined to do something like this in person. One of my classmates was talking about how God created flowers to be beautiful and smell wonderful *just for human enjoyment.* So I responded with "Actually, flowers exist because the plant needs to reproduce." I got a hearty laugh out of ONE other person in the room. One.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-11-2013, 09:11 PM
I recently added a distant relative (sort of) of my husband's in order to keep in touch due to a death in the family.

Her posts now have me gagging...sappy, over-the-top religious posts that aren't in keeping with her true nature. Once this issue is wrapped up between her and my husband...it's ba-bye. I can't take much more.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy