On governance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
RE: On governance
When I first joined this forum I thought WOW.....so much so that I had to send a PM to Stark to thank him for such a brilliant place to come and discuss things.

I dont see any major problems here myself if I am honest.......yes there was a momentary spurt of the younger generation arriving and posting but the forum adapted to that with the casual coffeehouse V.2.0 (This,That and the other thing section)

Ive not seen any racism, hatred or anything of that sort on here and im sure that if this did happen then the members of this forum would quite quickly moderate it themselves. Then Obv admin could step in with warnings and some actual moderation.

I think for now seeing as this forum is still quite small we can afford quite a close community.....as it grows the site must adapt......and so should we to accomadate all the new people. So Stark has the final say.....big deal.....its just a forum....words on a screen.......if it was any monumentous decision making like the world economy or global food distribution then yes.....have a democracy and a vote.

Im a bit dissapointed that Zat has left TBH.........he could simply have just stepped down from moderating and took a break.......he may say no hard feelings but to me deleting your account completly is a big "fuck you" to everybody.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
(10-12-2011 02:32 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm still here to listen (even if I'm being accused of playing both sides). That little statement hit me a bit hard because I was sitting here reading all the issues and trying to address them, then when I mention my opinion I'm considered wishy washy?

With all due respect (and hoping you hear nothing but my playful tone):

Don't Intersexed Transsexual Lesbians ALWAYS get accused of playing both sides? Angel

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2011, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 09:23 AM by Peterkin.)
Quote: bemore:
Im a bit dissapointed that Zat has left TBH.........he could simply have just stepped down from moderating and took a break.......he may say no hard feelings but to me deleting your account completly is a big "fuck you" to everybody.

'Everybody' wasn't involved. I'm guessing the majority of the membership has no clue that anything happened... and i suppose they're essentially correct.
Zatamon is a software architect; someone who thinks in terms of structure, rather than detail; strategy, rather than tactics - a big-picture guy. When he hears about a problem, he tries to think of solutions that not only cures the current hiccup, but prevent recurrence of this and similar problems in future. In this case, he sought consensus on how solutions should be implemented. Got slapped in the face with wet fish. Didn't like it. Left.
Other people's departure has been barely - if at all - noticed. This will be the same.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
10-12-2011, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 11:41 AM by Lilith Pride.)
(10-12-2011 09:11 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  With all due respect (and hoping you hear nothing but my playful tone):

Don't Intersexed Transsexual Lesbians ALWAYS get accused of playing both sides? Angel

I'd almost say no but my girlfriend has a penis =p

And yes I saw that he was really trying to help, I just don't think he has that much experience with internet forums. I almost broke kittenplay.net, because I added videochat and the forum members started screaming about the fact that people weren't on the forums as much. If he had really thought about what he was suggesting rather than feeling we weren't taking him serious, he would've realized that a democratic look at things would've taken about 2 months to come to the same conclusion we did in 2 pages.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
10-12-2011, 11:48 AM
(10-12-2011 09:20 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Got slapped in the face with wet fish.

Sorry...can't help it...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, i'm familiar with Monty Python.
And that may be the most fitting end to the subject.

Zatamon wasn't suggesting anything that should take a long time to figure out or require any major changes: he simply asked a question about the format in which you all want to go about problem-solving.
Turns out, there never was, and never will be, a problem to address - just some unnecessary whining. The solution was efficient and cost-effective: only lost three or four (??) older dudes with wider interests and a low tolerance for group ... hugs.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
10-12-2011, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 12:12 AM by DeepThought.)
(10-12-2011 03:40 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Yes, i'm familiar with Monty Python.
And that may be the most fitting end to the subject.

Zatamon wasn't suggesting anything that should take a long time to figure out or require any major changes: he simply asked a question about the format in which you all want to go about problem-solving.
Turns out, there never was, and never will be, a problem to address - just some unnecessary whining. The solution was efficient and cost-effective: only lost three or four (??) older dudes with wider interests and a low tolerance for group ... hugs.

As far as I know since I've been here problems are discussed in this forum. They have been since I got here. Many forum changes were implemented here allot of them were voted on by our users.

I didn't realise that we were discussing how we dealt with problems. Only that there were problems and it was all quite vague and confusing.

Oh well... Can't please everyone I guess Sad

From what I gathered there were a few smallish issues but most people are generally happy. One of the issues were regarding filtering and moderation of posts (teen spam threads, etc)
For that I would need to extend the search scripts and maybe add filtering to allow users to restrict recent posts to certain forums. I'd need to add a way to change and store filtering preferences for each user. I could look into it when I have time.

The only other issues raised where democracy by Zatamon and abolishing reps by defacto. Most people here wanted to keep the rep system so defacto angrily left.

Now if this thread dressed up as forum governance really meant how we handle issues, then it was all a miscommunication. Maybe something with the language barrier etc.

Also for a software architect I'm surprised Zatamon didn't realise the amount of software changes required for some of the problems brought up. Another problem with software changes is maintenance as I apply updates. Every custom modification adds more work.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-12-2011, 12:25 AM
(10-12-2011 11:54 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  From what I gathered there were a few smallish issues but most people are generally happy.

You gathered correctly, brother.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-12-2011, 12:26 AM
The other side to Zatamons democracy thing is me... I'm (kindof) admin here. I have full access to the database and site files. Do you think that is up for voting?

I'd say that it's upto Seth since he chose to trust me with that info. Seth is the site owner and I certainly will not hand over any passwords on the say so of anyone but Seth. I don't care who votes! Tongue

Of course as site admin I'm being clear that how the forum runs is not my responsibility. I help by maintaining the software and helping Stark and our moderators implement what we need. Just making the forum run more smoothly.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-12-2011, 12:35 AM
(11-12-2011 12:26 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I have full access to the database and site files. Do you think that is up for voting?

Fuck no fool.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post