On governance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
RE: On governance
(10-12-2011 09:20 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  [Re Zat's leaving:] Other people's departure has been barely - if at all - noticed. This will be the same.

I have to disagree with you here, Peterkin. Zat was one of the most creative, intelligent, and stimulating posters to the forum. I think his departure will definitely be noticed, and he'll be missed. I hope his absence is only temporary and that he'll rejoin us when the time seems right.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
How do you guys feel about the work being shared between a few admins?

Like Buddy pointed out "I choose to visit this forum because I want to relax and have fun. Once branded with the ADMIN label, I would be required to visit this forum just to do work. That's the opposite of fun."

If all the work is shared it means its not all placed on just one user, it means that No one user has to feel like this is just another job and can't enjoy themselfs. The forum continues to grow so we may need more than one admin at some point in the not to distant future.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I think you guys have the wrong impression on how much work is involved. There's really not much. It's the kind of work that's made me weary. We need some fresh blood to make the decisions as to where this forum goes.

I'd like to share another idea, at the risk of complicating things. I'd suggest making the admin job a 1 year term (I think it was mentioned before) to keep the admin from burning out and feeling like there's no end. Ya think?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
That's not a bad idea actually. It still means the long process of finding volunteers annually.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Mods will come and go. That's no biggie. Just replace them when the work piles up.

As for replacing the admin, it would be done the same way as me. Set up somewhere for volunteers to post, then discuss with whoever is the staff at the time (the staff include mods and veterans, though that could change), then the final decision would be for the administrator to make (with the approval of Seth). It would be his or her final admin duty to appoint a replacement.

Easy peasy.

12-12-2011, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 02:37 PM by morondog.)
(12-12-2011 02:22 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  How do you guys feel about the work being shared between a few admins?

Like Buddy pointed out "I choose to visit this forum because I want to relax and have fun. Once branded with the ADMIN label, I would be required to visit this forum just to do work. That's the opposite of fun."

If all the work is shared it means its not all placed on just one user, it means that No one user has to feel like this is just another job and can't enjoy themselfs. The forum continues to grow so we may need more than one admin at some point in the not to distant future.

Is good plan IMO. But there should be clear definition of jobs and possibly one leader (possibly chosen by the admins themselves) - just to make sure that for example, multiple guys get appointed and all share the work fairly. Without this, there is a likelihood that admins may feel "Oh, not feeling it today, I'll leave it" which is fine - the system should be flexible enough to allow people to take breaks, but just my personal fear is that if that were to happen too much, then possibly only one or two conscientious guys would end up doing all the work. Committee should always have clear leadership to prevent ill-feeling. Tongue Jeez I should write sermons.

I'm posting in this topic 'cos this kind of organizational detail has started to interest me a lot recently but I'm really not keen for any sort of role, just to be clear Wink Not been a member for long and definitely not a guy who enjoys responsibility...
Ah my intricately detailed beautiful logic is for naught, Oh woe Tongue There's not enough work for more than one... Oh well Angel
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
The problem with all this is that Stark is the only one who actually knows Seth, meaning other nominated admins wouldn't be able to change anything major since they are running a forum for someone they've never met.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I will make the appropriate introductions. Remember that when I took over, it was because Seth had left the forum abandoned for quite a while. He doesn't get involved much at all. I run things by him in an email, and his usual reply is, "I trust you man. Do what you feel is best."

That will probably stay that way with the new admin. Remember too that decisions about the site in general are made by Seth and implimented by DeepThought. The forum is not a big deal to Seth, so no worries. Just let him know when you want to make a big change or something.

12-12-2011, 03:13 PM
(12-12-2011 01:55 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I would just like to go on record with my stance on this.

Like the others have mentioned, I wouldn't mind being purple... but I sure as sh!t don't want to be green. I choose to visit this forum because I want to relax and have fun. Once branded with the ADMIN label, I would be required to visit this forum just to do work. That's the opposite of fun.

But judging from the discussions in the Forum Team forum... we're approaching a decision and it's not one of the veterans we're considering. Time for some new blood to run this mofo.

I wuz thinking BC - but I wuz also thinking this would be BC's take. The simulators don't run to badly in Cantor. Wink

This is my "main scene" right now, and being the bad guy ain't really no problem for Johnny who loves his Gwynnies. I just started running my neck on this topic - and if there's anything we all know about Johnny Cantor - energizer neck on that fool. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-12-2011, 08:18 PM
(12-12-2011 02:08 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 09:20 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  [Re Zat's leaving:] Other people's departure has been barely - if at all - noticed. This will be the same.

I have to disagree with you here, Peterkin. Zat was one of the most creative, intelligent, and stimulating posters to the forum. I think his departure will definitely be noticed, and he'll be missed. I hope his absence is only temporary and that he'll rejoin us when the time seems right.

I thoroughly enjoyed his company and already sorely miss the cantankerous old cuss. Be well, Zatamon.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post