On governance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 05:37 PM
RE: On governance
Personally I think this forum needs to operate like the Roman Republic; a dictatorship parading as a democracy. Which is how it has been operating in the past. On some issues, Stark will call for a council of his trusted advisors (the forum management team) and we will have our input (or at least, the illusion of input). But ultimately Stark will make the call and we will praise him for it and give him our support in the hopes of improving our position in the political hierarchy so that our children won't starve during the winter.

The Council of the Wise has been summoned before on issues like "Should we ban people who have ridiculously low Reps" and "Should this trusted individual be admitted into our council?" But at the end of the day, Stark is the one with the admin login and he is the one that must live with his judicial decisions.

It works and I approve.

Though lately there has been an uprising in the peasant ranks and Stark shall need to do one of 3 things to squash it.

1. Find the leader and cut off his head
2. Impose a religion on the people so that they are now offending God with their restlessness
3. Distract the masses with a bloody gladiator's event or a celebratory party with punch and pie

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Buddy Christ's post
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Buddy, I am trying to translate your post for the rest of us.

Apart from the hilarity, you seem to be saying: "everything is fine, stop bitching!"

Did I get it right? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 07:16 PM by Buddy Christ.)
It's a roundabout way of pointing out that for a forum for atheists to discuss religion, there seems to be a lot less discussion lately and a lot more bickering.

The "insightful topics about religion" to "I don't like the font used for my name" ratio is shifting. Let the admin be an admin and focus on starting new, entertaining threads. Stark doesn't HAVE to consider any of this. He could kick us all off the thread and close this bitch down if he wanted. Let's just be grateful for the forum and leave it at that.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
06-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Does this mean, Buddy, that you are advising Stark, who has the ultimate power on this forum, to disregard the input from those eight people I quoted from in Post #28 (including my own?)

Add to them the following suggestions:

(06-12-2011 02:21 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  The concerns are perfectly legitimate and i'm not at all sweeping them under any carpet. Of course the shit needs to be cleaned up. I thought that was understood. I thought the only question was who is supposed to do the cleaning and by what means.

(06-12-2011 02:58 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  We actually should listen to a minority. We aren't a government system we don't need everything to work precisely. so everyone should be able to have their input. It's best if we can maintain the fact that each opinion matters. Those who have issues need to know that we are listening. We aren't here to ignore the smaller groups. Hopefully we haven't given off an elitist clique feel yet =p. and I for one am not sure how I could.

(06-12-2011 04:59 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  So far i'm finding this thread really useful to find out what the most important issues are that need working on.. It's so easy to get carried away in the smaller less important details sometimes and ignore the bigger things. So thanks for that!
Keep it coming!

I don't think Stark is inclined to do that. Sad

However, only Stark can tell what he is inclined to do. Huh
06-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm advising Stark to weigh the pros and cons of the council and of the people... have himself a burrito... watch a few episodes of The Daily Show... and then do whatever the hell he wants.

[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM

(06-12-2011 07:17 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm advising Stark to ..... do whatever the hell he wants.

I am sure he will.

He has the power! Big Grin
06-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have been here since May this year and although I don't post as regularly as I'd like to (being busy and all) I have not really been bothered with the nauseating adolescent threads as I tend to skip right over them. Having said that, if these type of threads proliferated I probably would be annoyed. With all the juvenile forums out there I am perplexed as to why they bother coming here. I do think some of them require serious professional help. After rearing a son of my own (on my own) and having helped some of my son's friends, I have seen how hard it can be for young people without caring guidance, I am always willing to help and to listen to young people but only to those who genuinely require/need it not those who are from the 'look at me' set.
Whatever Stark decides is fine with me as he has proven time and again to be a very moderate moderator hehe
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
06-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd say that if it's possible buddy has come up with a great solution in just making this that and the other threads not applicable for the daily thing. If we just put them on a different string of threads then people will have to actively seek them. That would severely cut down on the issue while not removing freedoms, and if people posted in the wrong place too much we call them spammers.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
06-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Is that what this is all about? Adolescent gossiping and Tiger Beat like posts appearing in certain subforums? Here's the trick; don't go to those subforums then. I didn't even know about this because I only view the topics I want to view. If I go into the Casual Coffeehouse, I should expect to see anything ranging from "Butterscotch is the Best Pudding Flavor" to "Jewish People Driving German Cars; It's the Opposite of FUBU." When the emo Twilight self-brooding stuff or whatever it is starts creeping into the serious sections, then there's a problem.

If I'm still off-base on the issue, could someone please state the problem outright? I still don't really know what we're talking about.

06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I may be off-base I really am not that bothered either. From what I hear it seems to be the fact that when people hit recent posts they see a bunch of things from this that and the other thing. I use recent posts but then I skim past sections I'm uninterested in to find what I want. There really is the same amount of intelligent talk, just more other talk now. Which should be ok since we have sections for that. We even separated into two casual forums for casual but meaningful and purely casual.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.