On guns, where does one draw the line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: On guns, where does one draw the line
(31-01-2013 10:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One last point too on ammunition for self-defense. Why do the bullets have to be hollow-points and other highly lethal versions? ( A buddy once showed me a type of bullet designed to generate a shock-wave upon striking the victim so as to cause the heart to stop, no matter where the impact occurred) Why not less-lethal versions for self-defense and lethal versions for hunting?

My sister-in-law told me a story once (this is TN) about her grandfather and his run-in with some teenage vagrants. They would come on to his farm at night and steal his gas. He has a right to protect his assets, no? Sure. He has a right to kill teenage boys over gasoline? I say hell no. Anyways, he hid outside one night and waited with his shotgun. They came along with their canisters and proceeded to fill-up (it was a farm and they had a private gasoline tank for farm use). He unloaded two rounds, one for each. Only he used rock salt instead of lethal shot (obviously even this can be deadly if used improperly). He aimed for their asses and hit his target both time. He knew exactly who they were the next day when he saw them at the local store, unable to sit down because of the pain from the rock salt.

In some ways this is still very cruel, but it does the job of self-defense and property defense without the need for lethal force. With medical care, there should be no lasting effects.

Why not implement more of the less-lethal variety of ammo types?

Why not invest in less-lethal weapon types for self-defense instead of guns anyways? And I don't just mean tasers and mace. Why not new technology that disables your assailant without the need for lethal force?

When phasers become available, I will get one. Until then, my .357 magnum will have to do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: On guns, where does one draw the line - Chas - 31-01-2013 10:08 AM