On 'meaning' and 'purpose'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2014, 08:57 AM
RE: On 'meaning' and 'purpose'
My purpose is to worship Gwyneth Paltrow with exuberance and absurdity.

Need of purpose is an artifact of simulation of future, a critical evolutionary component of mind.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-12-2014, 09:03 AM
(19-12-2014 08:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  See signature below.
v v v[/align]

Yes, DLJ, I've seen and admired your signature while looking around the forum. And I agree on an intellectual level (it doesn't hurt that you are quoting Frank Herbert).

Still ... I feel somewhat bereft. It doesn't stop me from living my life, working hard, trying to do things that I enjoy, and so on, but it's there in my mind.

There was a caller to The Atheist Experience, in the last couple of weeks, who was an atheist who wanted to "become" a believer because he thought it would make him happier. Baloney, first of all, and of course, belief is hardly volitional.

I've been interested in the secular aspect of Buddhism for some time, finding at least some of it relevant and valuable to my life. I remember speaking to a couple of "seekers" who had been Christian, approached Buddhism, then scurried back to Christianity. One said, "The problem with Buddhism is you get to the end of it and it just sort of leaves you hanging there."

To repeat, I'm not aware that Christianity ever gave me any sense of "meaning." Yet I would strangely echo the sentiment quoted above — here I am, a non-believer (I truly think this is my natural state, btw), and at the moment I just feel as if I'm hanging here. The elements of your signature are great and I accept them as true. But somehow they don't help.

I have no interest in "becoming" a theist (I don't think that's possible). Perhaps this is all a matter of my becoming more accepting of the reality proposed in your signature.

Or maybe I'm just fucking Eeyore.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
19-12-2014, 10:12 AM
(19-12-2014 09:03 AM)claywise Wrote:  ...

I'm given to understand that ass-fucking is no longer illegal in most US states.* So, feel free. I reckon it's a good a way as any to fill your time on this god-forsaken planet.

Weeping

Anyway, about that "hanging", listless feeling... heed the words of HoC, our prophet of The Church of the Holy Gwynity.

"Simulation of future" and "the legacy we leave behind" is ultimately what it's all about.

Once you've figured that bit out, the world is your lobster.

* Guessing from your deconversion story that you're Murikan.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-12-2014, 10:22 AM
(18-12-2014 12:46 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A hammer has a purpose, but it is also a tool.

Don't be a tool.

I create my own purpose. My purpose in life is to enjoy it and to help others enjoy it. I love to laugh. I love to teach and help someone else have those ah ha moments when they realize something wonderful.

I love to have those moments myself.

My purpose is not to hammer a nail of truth, but to build a bridge of connection with other people.

To me life means I get to go snow skiing. I get to hug my grandson or listen to beautiful music.

Life means I get to live.

I like you incorporating teaching in your response, I get great fulfillment in teaching as well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-12-2014, 01:07 PM
(19-12-2014 10:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 09:03 AM)claywise Wrote:  ...

I'm given to understand that ass-fucking is no longer illegal in most US states.* So, feel free. I reckon it's a good a way as any to fill your time on this god-forsaken planet.

Weeping

Anyway, about that "hanging", listless feeling... heed the words of HoC, our prophet of The Church of the Holy Gwynity.

"Simulation of future" and "the legacy we leave behind" is ultimately what it's all about.

Once you've figured that bit out, the world is your lobster.

* Guessing from your deconversion story that you're Murikan.

Touche on Eeyore!

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.