On my gender

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 09:40 PM
RE: On my gender
(05-05-2016 07:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I hate making this thread because I feel like everyone will eat me alive. I'll take that risk. Whatever.
I realise that some people wonder what my gender is lol. Um... I dunno. I don't really have much of a sense of gender. So I call myself a person, a teen, a kid, things that aren't gender specific.
Am I gonna be super cringe-worthy about it? No. I don't even plan on talking about it. There isn't much to say. I'm only making this thread for awareness reasons. Just to clear things up.
If someone doesn't know, I'm not gonna make a big deal about it.

Okay, I'm ready for
-negative reps
-being burned at the stake
-lyching
-etc
Could be my anxiety? I don't know.Drinking BeverageHoboSadcryfaceUnsure

Sorry to disappoint but this is the internet so we can't easily burn or lynch you. I'd like to think that nobody here is enough of a troglodyte to neg rep you for this but if there is then I hope that they are flung shrieking into the void. Lamo

This isn't something that should be an issue in real life and is completely immaterial here. It's the internet and your gender is little more than a box that you ticked. Hug

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-05-2016, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 10:01 PM by carol.)
(05-05-2016 07:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I hate making this thread because I feel like everyone will eat me alive. I'll take that risk. Whatever.
I realise that some people wonder what my gender is lol. Um... I dunno. I don't really have much of a sense of gender. So I call myself a person, a teen, a kid, things that aren't gender specific.
Am I gonna be super cringe-worthy about it? No. I don't even plan on talking about it. There isn't much to say. I'm only making this thread for awareness reasons. Just to clear things up.
If someone doesn't know, I'm not gonna make a big deal about it.

Okay, I'm ready for
-negative reps
-being burned at the stake
-lyching
-etc
Could be my anxiety? I don't know.Drinking BeverageHoboSadcryfaceUnsure
I like you, kid...and I hope that you can feel comfortable and happy here.Heart
I like hugs too...Hug

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
05-05-2016, 10:02 PM
doesnt gender just mean you have male or female genitals?
05-05-2016, 10:34 PM
(05-05-2016 10:02 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  doesnt gender just mean you have male or female genitals?
Yeah, I think I'm somewhat missing the point of the thread.

I think CosmicRaven feels uncomfortable being referred to as a he or a she.
I certainly would feel uncomfortable being referred to as a she so perhaps CosmicRaven feels that way regarding both "he" and "she".

What this has to do with CosmicRaven's sexual identity, I have no idea. Perhaps gay, perhaps bi, perhaps hetro, perhaps asexual?

Whether it is regards to how CosmicRaven dresses IDK?

Or perhaps it is merely about crossing over to things that are deemed too feminine for a man to do or too masculine for a woman to do? IDK?

I really have no idea as to what this is about. But obviously it is quite important to CosmicRaven.

Seems quite interesting, and I could think that perhaps people in real life may react to CosmicRaven's differences.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get CosmicRaven to explain further. It's none of my business really. No explanation is necessary.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-05-2016, 10:48 PM
(05-05-2016 10:02 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  doesnt gender just mean you have male or female genitals?

When you are born you are assigned a sex based on physical genitals. Gender identity is a psychological state that is mostly based on your physical sex but sometimes it's the opposite or somewhere in between or neither.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
05-05-2016, 11:10 PM
(05-05-2016 10:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

When you are born you are assigned a sex based on physical genitals. Gender identity is a psychological state that is mostly based on your physical sex but sometimes it's the opposite or somewhere in between or neither.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always thought of the following:
Sex = procreation
Gender = biologically male or female
Gender identity = psychological self identification

I really dislike using the word "sex" to mean "male" or "female"
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-05-2016, 11:24 PM
(05-05-2016 11:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 10:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  When you are born you are assigned a sex based on physical genitals. Gender identity is a psychological state that is mostly based on your physical sex but sometimes it's the opposite or somewhere in between or neither.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always thought of the following:
Sex = procreation
Gender = biologically male or female
Gender identity = psychological self identification

I really dislike using the word "sex" to mean "male" or "female"

That sounds fair, it's a medical term, so yes gender is physical, gender identity is mental/emotional and then there's sexual orientation which has nothing to do with gender or identity, it's a separate aspect which I find interesting.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
05-05-2016, 11:43 PM
I had never - not once - spared even a single second pondering your gender; That is, before you made this thread, anyway.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
05-05-2016, 11:51 PM
(05-05-2016 11:43 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I had never - not once - spared even a single second pondering your gender; That is, before you made this thread, anyway.

yeah, now im pretty curious. can we do a poll where we all guess and then have a big reveal? sounds fun!
06-05-2016, 12:34 AM
It's ok, I can't really tell birds apart anyways Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post