On my path towards Reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 09:10 AM

On my path towards Reason
Greetings everyone.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while so I thought I'd join.

Anyway, I'm 22 years old, male. For the first 19 years of my life, I didn't know (or care) much about religion. I was a cultural Catholic, but that's about it. But then, I somehow immersed myself into fundamentalist Christianity, started believing in Biblical inerrancy, creationism etc. I willfully ignored all the problems with that view, because I wanted it to be true.

However, as the time was passing, I started to realize that I wasn't satisfied with my "spiritual" progress. More or less the only "fruits" that I got were guilt, and consequently, fear. Guilt and fear over things that hadn't concerned me before.

As a result, I was told to consult the Bible, but all I found there were contradictions. Why are there so many Christian denominations that teach different doctrines? Was the Law abolished or is it still binding? Do I have free will? And most importantly, what must I do to be saved? I couldn't find a conclusive answer to the most important question I could ask. I thought, and I still do, that if God put so much effort into creating this world so complex as it is, that he would bother to properly reveal himself, and his will, to his creation.

So here I am. After three years, I decided to look at the issue from the other point of view. So far I've read the God Delusion and the Age of Reason, and I'm currently reading materials from the Internet, some of them from this site. It will take time for me to deprogram myself from the self-indoctrination I had put myself to, but as it's already getting better, I'm optimistic.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Philosoraptor's post
30-08-2013, 10:02 AM
RE: On my path towards Reason
Let us know if/how we can help.

May I suggest "The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan? I think it will prove very helpful to you. It did to me. It's story about the "dragon in my garage" gets more and more profound every time I consider it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
30-08-2013, 12:45 PM

(30-08-2013 10:02 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Let us know if/how we can help.

May I suggest "The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan? I think it will prove very helpful to you. It did to me. It's story about the "dragon in my garage" gets more and more profound every time I consider it.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look it up.

By the way, would you (or anyone else) recommend me the Greatest Show on Earth? Because I'm also looking for a good book on evolution for a biology layman like myself...
30-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Welcome! I love your username by the way. Thumbsup

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
31-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum ! Was you a traditional Catholic ?
31-08-2013, 05:54 PM
(30-08-2013 12:45 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  

By the way, would you (or anyone else) recommend me the Greatest Show on Earth? Because I'm also looking for a good book on evolution for a biology layman like myself...

'The Greatest Show On Earth' is a good read, it's entertaining and it's loaded with lots of neat accounts of various experiments regarding evolution, but it's aimed mainly at refuting creationist arguments rather than being a lay guide to evolution as a whole. Dawkins book 'The Selfish Gene' is more about the mechanics of evolution and is far more in-depth, although much drier and more difficult to read.

...I'd read 'The Selfish Gene' if you are feeling scholarly and really want to tackle evolution and I'd read 'The Greatest Show On Earth' for lols/counters to creationism.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2013, 06:01 PM
(30-08-2013 12:45 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  

I also highly recommend both of those. Also, Why Evolution is True, Jerry Coyne, PhD.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2013, 04:23 AM

(31-08-2013 04:10 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Welcome to the forum ! Was you a traditional Catholic ?

If by 'traditional Catholic' you mean a pre-Vatican II type, then no.
During my religious period I was, in practice, more like a non-denominational. I liked the Protestant/Evangelical idea more because it seemed simpler to me. And I used to read their books (Strobel, Warren etc.) so it influenced my thought more.

To ridethespiral and Chas, thanks for your suggestions.
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 10:49 AM by Dark Light.)
As people who have an open-mind and access to information, abandoning organized religion becomes inevitable. Not all will come to the conclusion that there is no God, but all will abandon the strict adherence to every religion I have come across thus far. Philosophies may be retained, culture may be maintained, but worship of an all knowing all powerful creator becomes silly. Anyhow, welcome Wink