On our way back to the middle ages?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2011, 07:08 PM

On our way back to the middle ages?
When I go to the book store, I always go to the Science section, miniscule as it is. In our local book store it occupies 2 whole shelves, right under gardening and pets. To my dismay I noticed that they reorganized the store and right next to the shelf unit, containing the 2 shelves of Science (half of them are just popular junk), I noticed 2 whole shelf units, containing 6 shelves each, with Astrology, New Age, Christianity (never seen that before) and Religion.

Those idiots don’t seem to realize that their miserable lives depend on Science and not mumbo-jumbo. When they fly on a plane, cross a bridge, move into a building, ride an elevator, eat their food, go to the hospital, it is not the mumbo they count on but on the much despised and neglected Sciences.

This is just one example of moving back toward the middle ages of superstition, dogma, abandonment of reason and courage in facing reality. They are huddling in their dank churches and idiotic bible classes, occupying their minds with moronic astrological buffoonery.

This thread is devoted to examples of our marching backwards to the dark ages.

Please add your own pet peeves.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
17-08-2011, 07:18 PM
RE: On our way back to the middle ages?
I hate the fact that society seems to glorify the rejection of science in favour of 'ancient' or 'traditional' bullshit! I seriously wonder how we survive as a species when it seems to me that the majority of people on this planet have a lower IQ/less common sense than your average glass of water.

Like Dara O'Briain said, herbal medicine has been around for thousands of years and then science came along and tested it all and the stuff that worked became medicine, the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some popery. Yet society actually seems to treat herbal medicine as more valid than proper medicine, even in England where people have free healthcare on the NHS and get charged £50 a go for the herbal crap. It completely baffles me.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Um guys.... God does all that stuff... like duh?

You see every time you turn on your TV, god actually does it, with his super powers.

try reading for a change

I mean srsly.... Smile

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
18-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Every now and then I get "blown away" by the intellect of some people. I really feel humbled after reading their words or hearing them talk.

Far more often, however, I'm gobsmacked by how plain stupid and brainwashed and poorly self expressed so many of my fellow humans are. I think Christianity deserves some of the blame for that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2011, 03:13 AM
INTRODUCING>>> THE WONDERFUL TIME MACHINE! Such a marvellous invention brought to you not by those insane mad scientists, but by our magnificent people! As you have noticed some changes around your local neighbourhood here and there, we are having our first trial! We aim to transport the WHOLE EARTH back into the PAST!! IMAGINE THAT! No dinosaurs because we don't believe their existence, we say so, and if you disagree you are a racist bigot who oppresses people. Anyway, as you see here in CHART A, the rise of new age science, or so the people today claim. THEY DO NOT COMPREHEND THE POWER OF THE TIME MACHINE. Yes, PEOPLE ARE EMBRACING ASTROLOGY AND PSEUDOSCIENCE, or as we term them, MAGIC. Look at EXHIBIT 56-B, the rise of mad cults everywhere, JUST LIKE THE PAST! Well, that's all about our time machine, and IF YOU DARE YOU QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY TIME MACHINE, YOU BETTER PROVE IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Next up: How to easily have a heart attack even with a healthy lifestyle in today's world.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
18-08-2011, 05:55 AM

One more comment about the bookstore reorganization.

I noticed that "Politics" (one whole shelf unit) moved next to "True Crime" (one whole shelf unit).

I asked the clerk if this was an accident or 'intelligent design'?

She said: "Funny, you are the third person today who commented on it today".

Apparently, not all of us are brain-dead yet.
18-08-2011, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2011 11:02 AM by Peterkin.)
More indications of a return to the middle ages:

Sadistic entertainments. Not public floggings, burnings and quarterings yet, maybe, but underground videos of turture go viral, and lots and lots of mainstream movies and games and even prime time family viewing revolves around horrible ways for people to treat other people. Dog-fights, bullfights and cock-fights may be legally controversial, but they are held and attended, all the same; human vs human martial contests are growing less reserved and more brutal, with full legal consent, in more parts of the 'developed' West.

Of course the popularity of spook-stories in book and movie and television format - including pseudo-scientific treatment of paranormal phenomena by supposedly respectable documentary channels.

The immense (and growing) disparity of income, education and living standard in so-called modern, industrial countries rivals that of medieval Europe. So does the political power of clergy.

The demonizing and muzzling of other forms of thought; denigration and sometimes actual persecution of intellectuals. Book-burning; book-banning. Real and threatened prosecution for speech crimes.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
18-08-2011, 02:41 PM
All the science types don't buy their books at brick and mortar "book stores"... Science is too big to fit in any chain "book store"... They just keep whatever science stuff that the general population can read. Religion on the other hand can be written/made up by any idiot and understood by the general population. If you own a book store what would you put in it?

I don't think we are heading to the dark ages... I would say that there are more people in search of a hyperreality than in the past. The global economy is going down the drain and people look for anything to remove them from their day to day.
We can't go back to the dark ages anyway... too much reliance on science.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
18-08-2011, 03:24 PM
(18-08-2011 02:41 PM)myst32 Wrote:  I don't think we are heading to the dark ages... I would say that there are more people in search of a hyperreality than in the past.
I can't disagree with this because i don't know what it means.

Quote: The global economy is going down the drain
This, i do agree with, and it seems to me one of the reasons for falling back on the past, taking comfort in superstition, looking to death for a better life. Bad economies also guarantee poor public education; illiteracy and the spread of mis- and dis- and incomplete information; more private and religious schools, which have their own agendas.

Quote: and people look for anything to remove them from their day to day.
Does this mean, they need escapism, entertainment, fantasy, distraction? If so, yes, that's true. Not a fertile ground for civic sophistication or the pursuit of difficult concepts, let alone research in climate change mitigation.
Or maybe you mean, this lack of interest in serious material is temporary and will improve when the economy does?*
(*and pigs sprout wings)

Quote:We can't go back to the dark ages anyway... too much reliance on science.
Once economies collapse, fuel either runs out or becomes too expensive, technology starts to break down, older sources of energy are revived. (Coal???!!) and more people resort to inexpensive manual (shanties; wood-stove, lettuce grown and rabbits raised in the back yard) subsistence.
As science becomes more unpopular with the superstitious masses and harder for the population to access (both to learn and to buy) it also becomes more remote, esoteric; used only to serve the elite and frighten the people.

The middle ages was not without technology and science: just look at all the ingenious devices in the Inquisition chambers.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
18-08-2011, 03:57 PM

(18-08-2011 02:41 PM)myst32 Wrote:  All the science types don't buy their books at brick and mortar "book stores"... Science is too big to fit in any chain "book store"...

It is the trend that is important. Ten years ago the ratio between science and mumbo was 1 to 2. Now it is 1 to 12. If you add "True Crime" and "Harlequin Romance" to the mix, the ratio now is 1 to 20. I bought Richard Feynman's "Lectures of Physics" in a brick and mortar book store in a small town. Now you can find Hawking's "Brief History of Time" in 5 different editions and other fashionable coffee-table science books.

Talking about trends: in the late Renaissance, from the era of Roger Bacon and Thomas Aquinas to Newton and beyond, science was ‘in the air’, it was fashionable to understand and discuss science. Educated aristocracy and the emerging middle class welcomed news of discoveries and were proud of their geniuses..

One particular example was the ‘war’ between Germany and England, regarding the question of priority in inventing mathematical calculus. Both Leibniz and Newton discovered it, independently, but the admirers of each accused the other of plagiarism. Contemplating this nationalistic rivalry, it is quite obvious how much scientific accomplishments were valued at the time.

Today is not one of those eras. In current Western culture, science is considered boring and incomprehensible. We live in an age characterized by a revival of spiritualism, mysticism, superstition, faith. Reason has almost totally disappeared from public debates and the mass media; the laws of logic are all but forgotten.

If you want to project current trends to their logical resolution, the dark ages are not that far from the probable end result.