On our way back to the middle ages?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 04:40 PM
RE: On our way back to the middle ages?
Lately I've been getting a sense that either the general public is falling rapidly behind science, or science has made such leaps and bounds that the public still hasn't caught up to it yet (or some combination of the 2).

What strikes me most is that science is so far ahead of me now, that many claims of new discovery (e.g. LHC results) are incomprehensible to me. Thus, I am forced to consider them based mostly on trust and past experience with science and scientists. If the folks who are not accustomed to trusting scientists are forced to operate on the same line, they will surely side with superstition. Can we expect anything else?

Recent attempts to bring science back to the public, while noble, have felt too flashy and commercial to me. Programs like Through The Wormhole are interesting to the layperson like myself, but when they are presented with nearly the same level of production as a Christian propagandist piece, will people disinclined to trust scientists trust it? Or will it fail to gain their trust in the same way a Marlboro ad fails to gain mine?

Is science truly as accessible to the public as we would like to believe? Personally, I think we could do a lot more. But then, I'm not a scientist. How easy is it to explain some of our more recent discoveries to the public in a meaningful way?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2011, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 07:32 AM by Peterkin.)
RE: On our way back to the middle ages?
It's certainly true that science gets a very poor popular representation. The reporters who discuss it on news and news-magazine programs are either clueless or have too little time to explain anything but highlights - and they have to make it entertaining. Popular Science journals do a better job, but they have hardly any naked ladies in, so who buys them?
Anyway, i don't see evangelists avoiding air travel, internet or heart surgery.
They pick and choose from science, just as they do from the bible.

It's not distrust of science they're promoting so much as double-think.
And an excuse to behave badly: to push other people around; to be chosen and holier and righteous; to persecute and attack, torture and kill anyone who disagrees with them.
In the new middle ages, it is just such men (oh yes, the female shills will be swept aside - Michelle and Sarah don't know this yet) who will rule.

I just read, right over there -- http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ng-serious --- another indication: the pope is calling for a new crusade. Guess he hates to be out-aggressed by protestants.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply