On the 11th of September...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 11:35 PM
RE: On the 11th of September...
(15-09-2015 11:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 06:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What do they charge you? Are they on retainer?

We barter....Drinking Beverage

Consider

[Image: scale.php?img=OC8zLzgvMy8xLTkxMzgwMDMtOD...5ad34172e2]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-09-2015, 11:47 PM
(15-09-2015 11:28 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 11:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [Image: dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg]

You don't even need to know either what happened on that date or the exact date of JFKs assassination to know it sure as tits wasn't JFKs assassination...

Actually, the question itself is pointless and only highlights just how flawed it is to teach history as a series of 'facts' and data points to be learned for a test and forgotten.

So what that the Japaneses surprise attack on Pearl Harbor happened on December 7th? That date, outside of placing it on a timeline in order to establish a wider historical context, is an utterly useless factoid. What does knowing that fact do? Fuck all. If you're going to teach about history, there are far greater and more applicable lessons to be learned from studying the geopolitics that lead Japan to faux peace talks before launching their sneak attack, and the repercussions of drawing the United States into the Second World War. Remembering a date for a test gets you nothing, while attempting to understand the what and why that lead Japan to attack the United States might put into greater clarity such contemporary actions as the conflict between Israel and Palestine.

History should be taught as dependency and causation, not the mere memorization of factoids. Dodgy

Actually, the quiz was given in the context of September 11, as a day that should never be forgotten.

But all the other really important events no one should forget, were actually kinda forgotten.

It always leads to a fascinating discussion -- she says.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Well, these things will be forgotten in our lifetime. Later generations will have other things they must never forget. I certainly will not forget Sept 11.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Quote:Remembering a date for a test gets you nothing, while attempting to understand the what and why that lead Japan to attack the United States might put into greater clarity such contemporary actions as the conflict between Israel and Palestine.

History should be taught as dependency and causation, not the mere memorization of factoids. Dodgy

Absolutely correct! But this would interfere with the national mythology, which is that we are good people and a good nation, while "they" (the enemy of the moment) are all evil people who kill for no reason and want to destroy us out of envy of our goodness.

Folks who are old enough will remember Ronald Reagan's "evil empire" speech, in which he accused the U.S.S.R. and its allies of being an evil empire. Not human beings reacting to geopolitical events, but just people who wanted to destroy us because we are good.

You cannot maintain the lie that all our enemies just want to destroy us for being good if you teach geopolitical history as dependency and causation.

Quote:Actually, the quiz was given in the context of September 11, as a day that should never be forgotten.

Which plays again into the national mythology: If they taught the truth, that September 11 was an event in a chain that goes back at least 100 years and involves the division of North Africa by outside powers into arbitrary nations, for the benefit of the outside powers, and the imposition of brutal dictators, and countless outrages and slaughters of innocents, then it becomes harder to present 9/11 as a simple story of evil men who attacked us for no reason but envy of our goodness.

Americans, by and large, do not want to know why other nations or individuals attacked us. Because knowing that would force us to recognize their basic humanity. And it's harder to hate people if you see them as human.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
16-09-2015, 09:20 AM
(15-09-2015 08:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Meh give it 60 years or so and American kids will think patriot day has to do with the revolutionary war.

Just like today when most kids think D day was the end of world war two and don't know what armistice day even was.

Facepalm

60 years!? Hell, my husband teaches high school and the kids he teaches were two or three at the time and have no memory of 9/11. To them it's might as well have happened 100 years ago.

But it's kind of a weird thing because America, in recent years, has become memorial obsessed. People put crosses on the sides of the road where a family member died and keep it up with flowers for years and years. This isn't something that I recall happening when I was a kid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-09-2015, 09:18 PM
(15-09-2015 11:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 11:28 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Actually, the question itself is pointless and only highlights just how flawed it is to teach history as a series of 'facts' and data points to be learned for a test and forgotten.

So what that the Japaneses surprise attack on Pearl Harbor happened on December 7th? That date, outside of placing it on a timeline in order to establish a wider historical context, is an utterly useless factoid. What does knowing that fact do? Fuck all. If you're going to teach about history, there are far greater and more applicable lessons to be learned from studying the geopolitics that lead Japan to faux peace talks before launching their sneak attack, and the repercussions of drawing the United States into the Second World War. Remembering a date for a test gets you nothing, while attempting to understand the what and why that lead Japan to attack the United States might put into greater clarity such contemporary actions as the conflict between Israel and Palestine.

Actually, the quiz was given in the context of September 11, as a day that should never be forgotten.

But all the other really important events no one should forget, were actually kinda forgotten.

I think people wont forget the 9/11 attacks because it's in the name.
"9/11" attacks. Noone refers to Pearl Harbor as the 7/12 attack.

[Image: oscar.png]
16-09-2015, 09:32 PM
(16-09-2015 09:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 11:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually, the quiz was given in the context of September 11, as a day that should never be forgotten.

12/7
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
16-09-2015, 09:34 PM
(16-09-2015 09:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 11:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually, the quiz was given in the context of September 11, as a day that should never be forgotten.

It's been renamed "Patriot Day."

16-09-2015, 09:35 PM
(16-09-2015 09:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 09:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think people wont forget the 9/11 attacks because it's in the name.

12/7

Thank you! Those people with their metric talk Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-09-2015, 09:45 PM
(16-09-2015 09:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 09:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think people wont forget the 9/11 attacks because it's in the name.

It's been renamed "Patriot Day."

[Image: bill-hicks-i-was-over-in-australia-and-g...rit-re.jpg]

[Image: orwell_on_nationalism.jpg?w=620]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post