On the Circularity of Presupposing God's Goodness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 04:00 PM
RE: On the Circularity of Presupposing God's Goodness
(15-03-2017 05:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Listen dude, I made the mistake of a making a joke about you asking me for nude pictures of myself, that everyone besides you understand to be joke.

No we didn't. Most of the rest of us understood it as Tomasia being the sick, twisted, lying arse-dribbling of an incontinent babboon. Jokes are supposed to be funny, whereas you are simply sad.

This isn't the first time that your "quirky sense of humor" has caused you problems. Next time you think to make a "joke" first ask yourself, "Will this leave the audience wondering if I am a sociopath, questioning my humanity, or fearing what may be buried in my backyard?"

As ever, it is the actions of the evangelists that are the most persuasive arguments for moral relativity.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-03-2017, 04:21 PM
(16-03-2017 04:00 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  No we didn't. Most of the rest of us understood it as Tomasia being the sick, twisted, lying arse-dribbling of an incontinent babboon. Jokes are supposed to be funny, whereas you are simply sad.

This isn't the first time that your "quirky sense of humor" has caused you problems. Next time you think to make a "joke" first ask yourself, "Will this leave the audience wondering if I am a sociopath, questioning my humanity, or fearing what may be buried in my backyard?"

It hasn't caused me problems, it caused somebody else problems. My life continues on the same, but somebody else was effected by it in ways that were unintended. I don't owe you or anybody else an apology for it. Only him. And I offered him that multiple times, and it's up to him to move on from it.

If he wants to devote the last leg of his life to some petty squabble, ire at an insignificant theist on the internet, that's his choosing. A bed he put out for himself. I regret my contribution to it, but it's time to move on. Spend his time doing what he loves, in better spirits, and company, and not consumed by some turd on the internet.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 04:37 PM by JesseB.)
(16-03-2017 04:21 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 04:00 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  No we didn't. Most of the rest of us understood it as Tomasia being the sick, twisted, lying arse-dribbling of an incontinent babboon. Jokes are supposed to be funny, whereas you are simply sad.

It hasn't caused me problems, it caused somebody else problems. My life continues on the same, but somebody else was effected by it in ways that were unintended. I don't owe you or anybody else an apology for it. Only him. And I offered him that multiple times, and it's up to him to move on from it.

If he wants to devote the last leg of his life to some petty squabble, ire at an insignificant theist on the internet, that's his choosing. A bed he put out for himself. I regret my contribution to it, but it's time to move on. Spend his time doing what he loves, in better spirits, and company, and not consumed by some turd on the internet.

A non apology is not an apology. But srsly dude just drop it. You can't even see why the things you say are a problem on the topic in this thread, I doubt you could ever see why people take issue with your other shit. (I'm saying every time you respond to this you're digging your hole deeper. People are right to criticize what you're saying, everyone fucks up. That's whatever, instead of "defending" yourself on this, just try to be a better person moving forward, that's the only way you MIGHT change anyone's mind about you. Bit of helpful advice)

Also no one has said you owe anyone an apology. Stop putting words in people's mouths k.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
16-03-2017, 04:33 PM
(16-03-2017 04:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  A non apology is not an apology. But srsly dude just drop it. You can't even see why the things you say are a problem on the topic in this thread, I doubt you could ever see why people take issue with your other shit.

Also no one has said you owe anyone an apology. Stop putting words in people's mouths k.

If you want me to drop it, then don't bring it up, particularly when you don't even know what transpired, what has and hasn't been said, both privately, and publicly. You also should quit coddling his resentments like they were children, and imagine you're doing him a service.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2017, 04:42 PM
(16-03-2017 04:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 04:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  A non apology is not an apology. But srsly dude just drop it. You can't even see why the things you say are a problem on the topic in this thread, I doubt you could ever see why people take issue with your other shit.

If you want me to drop it, then don't bring it up, particularly when you don't even know what transpired, what has and hasn't been said, both privately, and publicly. You also should quit coddling his resentments like they were children, and imagine you're doing him a service.

Actually... I'm doing you the fucking service.... Facepalm

It appears you don't deserve it though.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
16-03-2017, 04:55 PM
(16-03-2017 04:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Actually... I'm doing you the fucking service.... Facepalm

Thank you, I prefer that you don't do me any favors.

16-03-2017, 05:04 PM
(16-03-2017 04:55 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 04:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Actually... I'm doing you the fucking service.... Facepalm

Thank you, I prefer that you don't do me any favors.

Done deal, now lets return to the topic at hand. There's a number of posts you haven't addressed yet.

Big Grin
16-03-2017, 05:24 PM
(16-03-2017 03:37 PM)JesseB Wrote:  And yet when I say to you rape is wrong. I mean it. I don't say things that I don't mean. Slavery is wrong. Murder is wrong.

You may mean it, but you don’t mean it’s objectively wrong, or wrong like 1+1=3 is wrong. You mean it’s subjectively wrong, like wearing white gym socks with dress shoes is wrong, just with a lot more passion and vitriol. 

Quote:You seem to fail to recognize that reality, is. Yet morality is our construct, a human construct. To an extent there will always be a subjective consensus in much of it. After all who is to determine that we are somehow deserving of our existence? Yet that as I have stated before would be an impractical silly place to conclude this story here, lets take it further. We are fully capable of generating what we consider to be an objective consensus. Those things which we can agree are most beneficial to our species and the environment we depend on to survive. To maximize those things that promote and create well-being, and happiness, and the continued existence of our species. Do we need to adopt these values? Hell no. We could destroy all life on this planet (and frankly we might) and who's to fucking say that is wrong except us? (or any aliens who might one day find the remains of our sad misguided species)

I assume you mean by subjective consensus, as sort of like the way the Academy awards committee reaches a consensus on the best film. 

And by objective consensus, an agreement on some series of facts, or predictions. Such as global warming, and it’s consequences. 

Now you may personally care about the well-being and happiness of our species as a whole, I personally only care, at least primarily care about this in regards to myself, my family, friends, and my small community. So no I don’t need to adopt those values, nor does avoiding adopting those values lead to the destruction of our planet as a whole. I’m also skeptical of the sincerity of those who speak in terms of concern for humanity as a whole, because that goes against our most basic biological underpinnings, where empathy is a partial and finicky beast, and not something to be applied so universally.

16-03-2017, 05:25 PM
(16-03-2017 05:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 03:37 PM)JesseB Wrote:  And yet when I say to you rape is wrong. I mean it. I don't say things that I don't mean. Slavery is wrong. Murder is wrong.

You may mean it, but you don’t mean it’s objectively wrong, or wrong like 1+1=3 is wrong. You mean it’s subjectively wrong, like wearing white gym socks with dress shoes is wrong, just with a lot more passion and vitriol. 

Quote:You seem to fail to recognize that reality, is. Yet morality is our construct, a human construct. To an extent there will always be a subjective consensus in much of it. After all who is to determine that we are somehow deserving of our existence? Yet that as I have stated before would be an impractical silly place to conclude this story here, lets take it further. We are fully capable of generating what we consider to be an objective consensus. Those things which we can agree are most beneficial to our species and the environment we depend on to survive. To maximize those things that promote and create well-being, and happiness, and the continued existence of our species. Do we need to adopt these values? Hell no. We could destroy all life on this planet (and frankly we might) and who's to fucking say that is wrong except us? (or any aliens who might one day find the remains of our sad misguided species)

I assume you mean by subjective consensus, as sort of like the way the Academy awards committee reaches a consensus on the best film. 

And by objective consensus, an agreement on some series of facts, or predictions. Such as global warming, and it’s consequences. 

Now you may personally care about the well-being and happiness of our species as a whole, I personally only care, at least primarily care about this in regards to myself, my family, friends, and my small community. So no I don’t need to adopt those values, nor does avoiding adopting those values lead to the destruction of our planet as a whole. I’m also skeptical of the sincerity of those who speak in terms of concern for humanity as a whole, because that goes against our most basic biological underpinnings, where empathy is a partial and finicky beast, and not something to be applied so universally.

... I take it by your response that you forgot to read the first few sentences....

Also... your lack of concern for your species suggests a very underdeveloped awareness of your lack of importance, and the reality that your species can (and at this rate likely will) go extinct sooner rather than later. Fact is your species will go extinct one way or another regardless. So perhaps concern for others and empathy are pointless to you. If that is so I pity you. And yes you are a psychopath if you really think this.

Big Grin
16-03-2017, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 06:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-03-2017 05:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You may mean it, but you don’t mean it’s objectively wrong, or wrong like 1+1=3 is wrong. You mean it’s subjectively wrong, like wearing white gym socks with dress shoes is wrong, just with a lot more passion and vitriol.

Wrong again, Rotten Tomato.

If one has determined what the ethical and moral principles one has established for oneself, and/or one's community, as meaningful and useful, AND WHAT THEY ARE BASED ON, then one can say that objectively, that certain actions "objectively" offend those principles.

Stop talking like an ignorant fool.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post