On the Divine Plurality in the Hebrew Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 09:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: On the Divine Plurality in the Hebrew Bible
(03-06-2014 08:44 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  As the OP mentioned in the first post, Judaism was originally henotheistic. Yahweh was simply the chief god of the Canaanite pantheon, just as Allah was of the Arabic pantheon.

Judaism did not become strictly monotheistic until the deuteronomistic reforms of King Josiah in the 620s BCE. The unfortunate pluralities were just a legacy hold-over that never got edited out. Just more proof of the fluid nature of religion to evolve over time, and it's adherents to totally forget their own religious history.

Actually Yahweh was the 70th son of the chief Babylonian deity, (El Elyon). He was the war god, (the Lord of Hosts ... a host was a battle array), not the chief god. The reason they picked him was they wanted help in their battles. They were "monolateralist" polytheists. Yahweh had a wife. Her name was Ashura. Statues of her have been found in Jerusalem, Dan, Beth-el, and one other place in the North I don't recall ... wherever the first Arc was from, ...oh Shiloh, I think.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Ya, I corrected my earlier post to El being the chief gawd. Not enough sleep or coffee. My bad.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
03-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I read this and found it informative, although the last chapter (something along the lines of 'what god concept can work for us?') is entirely disposable.

[Image: a-history-of-god-the-4-000-year-quest-of...aqghy.jpeg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user