On the Existence of Garage Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 08:01 PM
RE: On the Existence of Garage Dragons
(20-08-2015 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  Well, when he says and admits there are only two logical outcomes/possibilities, and then tries to claim that he doesn't know if either one is possible, then that is an obvious logical contradiction.
This isn't my claim though.
I have said there are two logical outcomes,
A Gods are possible
B Gods are impossible

The reason logically why there are two is because you can't have both and you can't have neither. It logically has to be one or the other.

The question of what is possible is an entirely different question.
I cannot judge the possibility of the existence or the non existence of god because the definition of god has not been defined in such a way that the possibilities can be assessed.
So my answer is that I do not know if the existence of gods is possible or not.
This very very simple position is something that Free cannot grasp.

Even if you give him an analogy such as unicorns.
Q: Is it possible for unicorns to exist on other planets?
Answer: I don't know.

Q: do you believe unicorns exist on other planets?
Answer: No

Q: Do you believe that unicorns do not exist on any planet?
Answer: No

I do not have a belief for or against the existence of unicorns.
I do not have a belief regarding whether the existence of unicorns is possible or not.

My position is that of "I do not know"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
20-08-2015, 08:05 PM
(20-08-2015 06:52 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 06:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The garage dragon is actually quite a good analogy.
Unbeliever's conclusion on it is out of left field.

You could demonstrate this quite easily by answering the question.
I can't believe how fucking dense you are. I've answered it twice already. Go back and read my posts. Fuckwit!
20-08-2015, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2015 08:20 PM by Unbeliever.)
(20-08-2015 08:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I can't believe how fucking dense you are. I've answered it twice already. Go back and read my posts. Fuckwit!

You keep saying this. It doesn't actually mean that you answered the question.

Because you didn't. Again, you went off on some unrelated tangent regarding the beliefs of those who consider the garage dragon, which is entirely irrelevant. Throwing a tantrum when this is pointed out does not make your argument look any less silly. It only serves to make you look immature.

What is the difference between a garage dragon and no dragon at all?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
20-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Stevil,

I owe you one. You sure saved me a lot of typing tonight!

Unbeliever,

Sagan was a skeptic, not a cynic. He thought is was an arrogant position to claim that one knows that a god impossible. He approached the garage dragon the same way. He didn't rule things out if they couldn't be ruled out by evidence, but he also dismissed baseless claims, as anyone should. If scientists thoroughly investigated every baseless claim, there'd be much less time to investigate evidence based claims. It's much more productive to simply follow the evidence, and wait for the evidence before making conclusions. my 2 cents..
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
20-08-2015, 08:36 PM
(20-08-2015 08:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 07:43 PM)Free Wrote:  Well, when he says and admits there are only two logical outcomes/possibilities, and then tries to claim that he doesn't know if either one is possible, then that is an obvious logical contradiction.
This isn't my claim though.

Yes ... it ... is.

Stevil Wrote:There are two outcomes to the god question:

Either it is possible for god to exist or it is impossible for god to exist. Two outcomes.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid836717

Your words are etched in stone and time-stamped in the event you try to edit that post.

Quote:I have said there are two logical outcomes,

Stop trying to mince words and back-pedal. We all KNOW what you said.

It's too late. You are completely discredited. The only thing you can do now is admit you were wrong and move on, unless you would much rather perfer to continue either looking like a liar, or looking like a fool.

Take your pick.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
20-08-2015, 08:37 PM
(20-08-2015 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  What is the difference between a garage dragon and no dragon at all?

The concept of a garage dragon.

#sigh
20-08-2015, 08:39 PM
(20-08-2015 08:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  What is the difference between a garage dragon and no dragon at all?

The concept of a garage dragon.

What's the difference between the concept of a garage dragon and no dragon at all?

Wink

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
20-08-2015, 08:41 PM
(20-08-2015 08:29 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If scientists thoroughly investigated every baseless claim, there'd be much less time to investigate evidence based claims.
Science can't investigate these "garage dragon" claims because they offer no testable criteria, no falsifiable criteria. They fall completely outside the realms of science.
Carl is a scientist with decent logic skills and an open mind.
He doesn't claim to know something without supporting evidence.

He understands things can be disproven if the claim includes falsifiable criteria.
He understands of the claim is poor then it should be discarded without an assessment as to the claim's conclusion.
20-08-2015, 08:44 PM
(20-08-2015 08:36 PM)Free Wrote:  
Stevil Wrote:There are two outcomes to the god question:

Either it is possible for god to exist or it is impossible for god to exist. Two outcomes.

Your words are etched in stone and time-stamped in the event you try to edit that post.
At what point have I claimed that it is possible for gods to exist?

Did you understand the word "Either" at the front of the sentence?

I have not claimed knowledge of the possibility of the god's existence.

I mean, if I say
Either it is possible Free is mentally damaged or Free just lacks basic logic skills

I am not saying that I know which one is true. I am not saying that it is possible that Free is mentally damaged.
20-08-2015, 08:51 PM
(20-08-2015 08:39 PM)Free Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 08:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The concept of a garage dragon.

What's the difference between the concept of a garage dragon and no dragon at all?

Wink

Conceptual.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post