On the appreciation of the universe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
On the appreciation of the universe.
I was going to add this as a comment to the fine-tuning argument thread, but decided to start fresh.

When people find that I'm an atheist, they are often surprised that I find the universe beautiful and life wondrous.

The universe is beautiful and wondrous, fearsome and terrible. Life is precious, nature profligate, bounteous, and cruel. I believe that life, the universe, and everything are precious precisely because there is no God, no Prime Mover, no Design.
Look around you, look at life and nature; look closely and deeply. That this is all here is so marvelous as to leave me breathless at its existence, nearly speechless in awe.
If this had been designed and created, I would look upon it in horror. It would not be wonderful - it would be the cruelest creation imaginable. Animals rend the flesh from living prey, Bambi is torn apart daily. Viruses invade and cause slow, painful death. Parasites feed on us, age destroys us, stars explode and consume their planets in fiery death.
But we are here. We are conscious. We can discover, we can contemplate, hope, aspire, take joy and comfort; we live. It might have been otherwise.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
RE: On the appreciation of the universe.
(05-04-2012 06:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe that life, the universe, and everything are precious precisely because there is no God, no Prime Mover, no Design.

That. Thumbsup Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2012, 01:11 AM
(05-04-2012 06:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I was going to add this as a comment to the fine-tuning argument thread, but decided to start fresh.

When people find that I'm an atheist, they are often surprised that I find the universe beautiful and life wondrous.

The universe is beautiful and wondrous, fearsome and terrible. Life is precious, nature profligate, bounteous, and cruel. I believe that life, the universe, and everything are precious precisely because there is no God, no Prime Mover, no Design.
Look around you, look at life and nature; look closely and deeply. That this is all here is so marvelous as to leave me breathless at its existence, nearly speechless in awe.
If this had been designed and created, I would look upon it in horror. It would not be wonderful - it would be the cruelest creation imaginable. Animals rend the flesh from living prey, Bambi is torn apart daily. Viruses invade and cause slow, painful death. Parasites feed on us, age destroys us, stars explode and consume their planets in fiery death.
But we are here. We are conscious. We can discover, we can contemplate, hope, aspire, take joy and comfort; we live. It might have been otherwise.

Exactly. Thank you for expressing that so beautifully.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
15-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote: But we are here. We are conscious. We can discover, we can contemplate,
hope, aspire, take joy and comfort; we live. It might have been
otherwise.
No, Girly...That. Thumbsup Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Part and parcel, Hellbound. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-05-2012, 05:32 PM
The universe is, indeed, appreciating... at an increasing rate. Meanwhile, I depreciate... also at an increasing rate.
I wish it was otherwise. But wishful thinking does not depreciate my appreciation of the universe.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Eloquently put, Chas Smile

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlbC6UzBqQ6jb_G5nHPyi...z6Zq8lD9pR]

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
15-05-2012, 07:47 PM
(15-05-2012 05:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The universe is, indeed, appreciating... at an increasing rate. Meanwhile, I depreciate... also at an increasing rate.
I wish it was otherwise. But wishful thinking does not depreciate my appreciation of the universe.

Not sure I'd wish it were otherwise DLJ. But I'm careful what I wish for. Wink