Poll: Are there people out there who simply HAVE to be religious? They can not function without a religion in their life and can not be 'fixed'.
Yes
No
Unsure
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
On the brink without religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
On the brink without religion
What is your opinion on people who could be described as "on the brink without religion"? By this I mean someone who has deep personal issues who has turned to religion as a way of dealing with these issues. I bring this up because a friend of mine (a Christian turned atheist in his late teens) was telling me about a friend of his who is in this exact situation and how he does not like to bring up his deconversion because he's afraid of where the conversation may go.

My friend would argue that there are people who just MUST be religious (his parents are a frequent example), people who can't function without religion in there life.

I would argue that no matter how damaged or polluted a mind may be, it's better to look at the world from a rational standpoint and have other people there to help you cope and live your life than live in complete ignorance simply because it's easier. I personally just can't accept the idea of such a lazy way of thinking and reasoning being acceptable.

Your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: On the brink without religion
I can understand both sides here. Take AA foe example, if we could definitively prove there was no god and make that information available overnight then there would be a lot more alcoholics the following day.

I would postulate such people do exist, but they do not exist because thats the way they are, they exist because of some mechanism within society that has made them that way (something like AA again). If religion improves there life then fine, let them have it. As a society though, I think we need to discourage such dependence in the future and provide viable alternatives that give the people the credit for their achievements not an imaginary force.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Eternal's post
12-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah! my mom! she was actually saved by religion, if it wasn't for the support she received from her church probably she would have killed herself a long time ago. But it's a weird situation, I tried to push some reason in her mind with some success, and her own mind also turned her a bit away from church over the last years.

But she'll never stop believing, otherwise almost all her life would be just one big joke from the universe (it was pretty fucked up) and I understand her need to believe there's something better after this life, just to keep her enduring her own traumas.

I don't think it's a lazy way of thinking, is necessary for her as she can't find solace in reason and science, we can't judge people only in one aspect of their psychology, that would be irresponsible and would lead us into intolerance.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Religion to some people are essential for their mental and emotional well-being. It's not a lazy way of thinking. To these people, religion is where they seek solace, a comfort object in other words.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:A comfort object, transitional object, or security blanket is an item used to provide psychological comfort, especially in unusual or unique situations, or at bedtime for small children. Among toddlers, comfort objects may take the form of a blanket, a stuffed animal, or a favorite toy

So what happens if religion is removed from their lives? To quote DLJ...
Quote:Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child?

There is an old saying, "Ignorance is bliss". To some, indeed. But for those who wish to view the world from a rational standpoint, ignorance is the very thing we want gone from our lives.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I would argue against religion being a reasonable "comfort blanket". Just because somewhere is a comfortable place does not make it good or reasonable. I could understand the idea of the fellowship of religion bringing comfort to someone, but the actual beliefs of the religion are a whole other thing.

I really can't see how you can argue that religion is not "lazy thinking" in it's finest. You don't know how somethings works, so you go to religion and it says "God does it, don't worry about it" and if evidence is provided towards another answer you ignore it and remain content with the answer given from the bible without any evidence. Intentional or not, ignoring evidence and facts because they don't meet your old theory is lazy logic. imho anyway.
12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I voted no
There are always a lot of ways to get over stuff without religion. There are enough ways to stop drinking that do not include saying that a higher power wanted me to experience this. There are ways to get over losses and drama and trauma and addiction and all the bad things in the world, and it works without religion.
And you can reason with people and just for the argument, you can force people into listening and learning reason. yes that hurts first but once the pain is over, the pain of losing the seemingly basis of your life, you will find a better basis, a more healthy basis, once most of the brainwash is gone you see all the flaws and call yourself an idiot because you used to believe.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
No. One can receive emotional stability in a much healthier, more constructive way. The only reason religion has the massive following it has today is because so many followers are born into it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I agree with Leela and Logica Humano, but I must say that, even though there are better ways to cope with problems, some people don't know them or maybe they just can't make the change from religion to other methods.
We must be careful with this kind of things, and we must not forget that, among all the bad things religions have, there are some good things too, we can't deny those, and some people cling to that to feel some sort of comfort and peace in their life, that can't feel with other stuff.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Yes, in terms of faith. There is no story of ellenjanuary that is not also a story of Gwyneth Paltrow. The whole point of human life is to have a point; even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't know how to vote on this poll.

I believe there are people who think that and feel it is true when they get all afraid from being questioned upon their belief.

I don't believe there are many who are truthful, but you do hear the occasional people saying if they knew that there was no God, they would kill their neighboor. That seems close to being out of the realm of being saved.