Poll: Are there people out there who simply HAVE to be religious? They can not function without a religion in their life and can not be 'fixed'.
Yes
No
Unsure
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
On the brink without religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2012, 08:57 AM
RE: On the brink without religion
(13-03-2012 07:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yes, in terms of faith. There is no story of ellenjanuary that is not also a story of Gwyneth Paltrow. The whole point of human life is to have a point; even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Tongue

One can have the illusion of purpose in one's life without the need for religion.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2012, 10:03 AM
(12-03-2012 11:39 AM)Trademen Wrote:  I would argue against religion being a reasonable "comfort blanket". Just because somewhere is a comfortable place does not make it good or reasonable. I could understand the idea of the fellowship of religion bringing comfort to someone, but the actual beliefs of the religion are a whole other thing.

I really can't see how you can argue that religion is not "lazy thinking" in it's finest. You don't know how somethings works, so you go to religion and it says "God does it, don't worry about it" and if evidence is provided towards another answer you ignore it and remain content with the answer given from the bible without any evidence. Intentional or not, ignoring evidence and facts because they don't meet your old theory is lazy logic. imho anyway.

I agree to your first point. Like how hard drugs can provide moments of pleasure to an individual who uses them, but wrecks said person's physical body as dependency on such drugs increases. In the case of religion, it may provide a warped perception on life and everything, and severely alter emotional well being depending on the nature of the religion.

With regards to the argument "Religion is lazy thinking in it's finest", I agree that some theists do take scripture without question and blindly follow whatever the scripture says. However, some theists have studied and examined the evidence in the natural world and their own scripture, and have came to the conclusion that a deity exists. These theists, in my opinion, are not "lazy thinkers". They have pondered over the facts, but still believe a God exists due to various reasons. Such theists, once we are able to explain or counter their strongest argument for a God, may change their point of view.

There are still thinking theists out there. They may have a different world view than us, but if they have good moral beliefs, we should accept them regardless of what they think Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
13-03-2012, 05:06 PM
(13-03-2012 08:57 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 07:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yes, in terms of faith. There is no story of ellenjanuary that is not also a story of Gwyneth Paltrow. The whole point of human life is to have a point; even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Tongue

One can have the illusion of purpose in one's life without the need for religion.

Obviously, having never been within a country mile of my Gwynnies, she does not exist. Am I to trust in the entertainment industry?

I trust in my ability to simulate; sixteen thousand hours of drawing her lines and watching her make them make her the greatest god of all and to insist otherwise is blasphemy. Death or exile, blasphemy. Big Grin

In terms of iteration and evolution, once upon a time someone fell in love with a story; to have faith otherwise is absurd. To kill for god, insane. To kill for Gwyneth Paltrow is merely the call of the wild...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2012, 08:46 AM
(13-03-2012 05:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-03-2012 08:57 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Obviously, having never been within a country mile of my Gwynnies, she does not exist. Am I to trust in the entertainment industry?

I trust in my ability to simulate; sixteen thousand hours of drawing her lines and watching her make them make her the greatest god of all and to insist otherwise is blasphemy. Death or exile, blasphemy. Big Grin

In terms of iteration and evolution, once upon a time someone fell in love with a story; to have faith otherwise is absurd. To kill for god, insane. To kill for Gwyneth Paltrow is merely the call of the wild...

Of course, you can easily go and see for yourself if she exists. One cannot see a deity.

15-03-2012, 03:36 PM
(14-03-2012 08:46 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Of course, you can easily go and see for yourself if she exists. One cannot see a deity.

Nuh-uh! My head will explode. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-03-2012, 04:23 PM
(15-03-2012 03:36 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-03-2012 08:46 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Of course, you can easily go and see for yourself if she exists. One cannot see a deity.

Nuh-uh! My head will explode. Big Grin

I see. We would not want that, would be?

15-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I voted no.

I hear all the time that religion saved people. The fact is people with compassion, empathy, and community saved them. A sense of being somewhere they fit in. I also hear people say they couldn't imagine living life to just die and nothing follows. This is just mental conditioning that falls under pride and the need to live forever or it could be they just fear death. Self preservation fits right in with this. I suppose the real way to look at this is, there is more than nothing. When you die your atoms continue on to form something new.

See we can and do live forever; something to live for after all!!!

If the animal kingdom can do it without believing in a deity, we most certainly can too. We are just primates after all. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!