21-04-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: On the exchange of religious views
Yes and you forgot present.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
21-04-2014, 01:02 PM
The "big three" Abrahamic religions seem to be gearing up for it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2014, 01:15 PM
(21-04-2014 01:02 PM)Sam Wrote:  The "big three" Abrahamic religions seem to be gearing up for it.
What makes you think that? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-04-2014, 01:22 PM
(21-04-2014 12:58 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Yes and you forgot present.
Yes, I guess I should have offered the options "something of the present" and "all of the above".

But I was trying to make a slightly different point. When I was a child and learned history at school, I used to think of religious wars as a feature of the past; I felt glad to live after a time when people were willing to kill other people in promotion of their fantastic deities.

Now it saddens me how irresponsible some human beings are (those inciting others towards ideological hatred for their own personal profit) and how gullible those falling into the ideological hatred are.

And then they talk about human dignity.

Oh, well. Cheers, guys, thanks for your views!
21-04-2014, 01:34 PM
(21-04-2014 01:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 01:02 PM)Sam Wrote:  The "big three" Abrahamic religions seem to be gearing up for it.
What makes you think that? Consider

Just the fact that religious violence seems to have been continuously escalating in recent years... Iran threatening Israel. Israel taking land from Palestinians.

Christians fighting Muslims in Africa. Jews fighting Muslims in the near East.

Muslims fighting other Muslims... Christians fighting other Christians.

I just think it'll probably all come to a head one day... Some rouge state will launch a few warheads at its neighbour, and suck the whole world into a massive war.

I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted with Humanism... I agree with everything it stands for, but it seems so fucking futile.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2014, 01:42 PM
(21-04-2014 01:22 PM)living thing Wrote:  
Yes, I guess I should have offered the options "something of the present" and "all of the above".

But I was trying to make a slightly different point. When I was a child and learned history at school, I used to think of religious wars as a feature of the past; I felt glad to live after a time when people were willing to kill other people in promotion of their fantastic deities.

Now it saddens me how irresponsible some human beings are (those inciting others towards ideological hatred for their own personal profit) and how gullible those falling into the ideological hatred are.

And then they talk about human dignity.

Oh, well. Cheers, guys, thanks for your views!

People are going to fight. The more of us there are on the rock the more fights there will be. Religion, politics, ethnic, resource, etc..pick the reason you can justify to those who will fight so they can be willing.
21-04-2014, 01:57 PM
I'll select "future", but I'm assuming you meant "not only in the past" when you listed that as your other non-binary option to oppose "past".

I'd like to think that we won't see much religious war from the developed countries, but things like the LRA and radical Islam still exists, so, there's that. People are still killing each other over religion in large numbers, so it certainly doesn't seem like it's just "in the past".
21-04-2014, 02:08 PM
(21-04-2014 01:22 PM)living thing Wrote:  

Are you KIDDING? Do you live in a CAVE?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-04-2014, 02:24 PM
(21-04-2014 01:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  ... Some rouge state will launch a few warheads at its neighbour, and suck the whole world into a massive war.

I'm rapidly becoming disenchanted with Humanism... I agree with everything it stands for, but it seems so fucking futile.
It's been a long time since I stopped being a fan of any -ism, except maybe for optimism.

I want to be optimistic about the future of humanity; the more we learn about ourselves and our environment, the better prepared we will be to make decisions with consequences that benefit our structural integrity. Sure, learning is a painfully slow process -millennia have gone by and we are still haunted by ghosts from the Ignorance Age- but it is happening and I would like to believe that there will come a time when religious & national conflicts will be features of the past.

However, will that time come before my lifeless body has rotted away? I doubt so. Still, for the benefit of those who may live after us, I think it is worth putting our efforts on humanity.

Have fun!