Religious wars are something of the past
Religious wars are something of the future
[Show Results]

On the exchange of religious views

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: On the exchange of religious views
(21-04-2014 01:42 PM)wazzel Wrote:  People are going to fight. The more of us there are on the rock the more fights there will be. Religion, politics, ethnic, resource, etc..pick the reason you can justify to those who will fight so they can be willing.
Yeah, I sometimes wonder if some people view wars as necessary mechanisms compensating for demographic explosions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2014, 02:32 PM
(21-04-2014 02:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 01:22 PM)living thing Wrote:  But I was trying to make a slightly different point. When I was a child and learned history at school, I used to think of religious wars as a feature of the past; I felt glad to live after a time when people were willing to kill other people in promotion of their fantastic deities.

Are you KIDDING? Do you live in a CAVE?
No, I live in an artificial house.

Are you once again not reading? I've explained that that used to be my thought when I was a child, at school. My understanding of geopolitical relationships then was very limited, I'm sorry.
21-04-2014, 02:40 PM
(21-04-2014 02:27 PM)living thing Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 01:42 PM)wazzel Wrote:  People are going to fight. The more of us there are on the rock the more fights there will be. Religion, politics, ethnic, resource, etc..pick the reason you can justify to those who will fight so they can be willing.
Yeah, I sometimes wonder if some people view wars as necessary mechanisms compensating for demographic explosions.
Wars are often fought for resource control with something else used for justification.
21-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Sorry RobbyPants, I skipped your reply.

(21-04-2014 01:57 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I'll select "future", but I'm assuming you meant "not only in the past" when you listed that as your other non-binary option to oppose "past".
You've read the options wisely; the option "something of the future" did not exclude the other one.

No, religious wars don't seem something of the past to me either.

Every time I see an active religious temple I get reminded of how primitive our supposedly modern cultures are.

Thanks for your view, have a good one!
21-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Just like any ferocious animal, religion's final death throws will result in the worst wars of mankind's experience, cascading 'righteously' through the use of modern technological weaponry.

Only a prediction, an inevitable one at that.
21-04-2014, 08:08 PM
False dichotomy.

They have been, are, and ever shall be until humanity grows the fuck up.

And to all the theists here - I'm talking to you. Grow the fuck up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Bitter feelings between religion is something that has been around since man came into being. Thus there's been plenty of wars over religion and there will continue to be wars over religion. I suppose it would stop when everyone realizes they're all equally batshit crazy or decide to play nice, but since when has all of mankind been humble enough to think of that? Nope, I do believe these wars will keep going on and on and on until one of the bright-brained sons-a-bitches gets the clever idea to nuke the other one and screw us all over.

[Image: notagain.gif]
22-04-2014, 06:33 AM
Hello Chas, how are you?

(21-04-2014 08:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  False dichotomy.
Yes, that's true. Fortunately, the thread is not exclusively a poll and there is plenty of room to respond with details.

(21-04-2014 08:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  They have been, are, and ever shall be until humanity grows the fuck up.

And to all the theists here - I'm talking to you. Grow the fuck up.
I agree. The collective human brain still seems at the stage of a selfish infant. "Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine". I hope humanity will understand its potential before it harms itself recklessly.

Thanks for a good advice!
22-04-2014, 07:06 AM
(21-04-2014 08:27 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  ... I do believe these wars will keep going on and on and on until one of the bright-brained sons-a-bitches gets the clever idea to nuke the other one and screw us all over.
Let's hope you're mistaken in your belief!

If only we learned and understood the value of mutual cooperation! But instead, we're stuck in an "endless" competition for our greatness. "My god is better than yours" and "My country is better than yours" are simply ways to say "I am better than you". And that is a stupid notion.

For every task, I am sure there is one person who is able and skilled enough to perform it better than others. However, I don't think any person is better than the rest at performing all tasks. The fastest car driver is not necessarily the most proficient brain surgeon and the mightiest warrior is not necessarily the funniest comedian. No one person is the "best" person, whatever that may mean.

We are sexual organisms, we need to impress potential sexual partners in order to show the quality of our genes; that competitive factor will always be influential. But please note how the expression "our genes" goes in plural. Every one of our DNA-encoded genes is a meaningless arrangement of matter unless many other genes are also there. Our genes discovered the value of mutual cooperation billions of years ago. Every one of our cells is also useless in isolation; we are multi-celled organisms. Even our reproductive cells, which are those whose function is performed most on their own, need each other in order to start a new human being. Single-celled organisms also know the value of mutual cooperation; their organelles perform their functions in parallel, for the benefit of the whole cell. Ants know the value of mutual cooperation, bees know the value of mutual cooperation, and the "clever" species on this planet? Still arguing about who's better than the rest.

Every one of us is a tiny living thing when compared to the organism humanity could be, if we only worked together to sustain it; help each other for the benefit of all. We could be worrying about how to save life on this planet from the impending doom that awaits in our nearby star, instead of worrying about NOTHING being angry at us after our deaths for not thanking NOTHING in exchange for doing NOTHING. And instead of killing ourselves defending our different flavours of NOTHING.

If the god thing created us in its own image, the god thing is stupid as fuck.