On the origin of genes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
On the origin of genes
Where does the new genetic material come from?

Well, here's a really good PEER-REVIEWED article.
________________________________________________________________________________​_____________________________

De novo origin of human protein-coding genes.

Wu, D.D. et al 2011

The origin of genes can involve mechanisms such as gene duplication, exon shuffling, retroposition, mobile elements, lateral gene transfer, gene fusion/fission, and de novo origination. However, de novo origin, which means genes originate from a non-coding DNA region, is considered to be a very rare occurrence. Here we identify 60 new protein-coding genes that originated de novo on the human lineage since divergence from the chimpanzee, supported by both transcriptional and proteomic evidence. It is inconsistent with the traditional view that the de novo origin of new genes is rare. RNA–seq data indicate that these de novo originated genes have their highest expression in the cerebral cortex and testes, suggesting these genes may contribute to phenotypic traits that are unique to humans, such as development of cognitive ability. Therefore, the importance of de novo origination needs greater appreciation.

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info...en.1002379

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2012, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 02:06 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: On the origin of genes
Clear something up for me, if you please.

Does this mean I can finally get around to bitch slapping bullshit creationist claims about needing new "information to produce mutation"? Or do I have to continue bitch slapping them for being stupid for bringing ir up in the first place?

Hell, I'll read it anyway.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
RE: On the origin of genes
(02-12-2012 01:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Clear something up for me, if you please.

Does this mean I can finally get around to bitch slapping bullshit creationist claims about needing new "information to produce mutation"? Or do I have to continue bitch slapping them for being stupid for bringing ir up in the first place?

Hell, I'll read it anyway.
When someone state that there's not one single mechanism that explains new genetic information from random mutation, you can surely slap not only the data on this article, but also the used references about gene duplication, etc.

This is really intersting, because it was thought that the arise of functional protein encoding genes from non-coding regions was something really improbable. Now, there is evidence that it is more common than we thought.

Here's how it occurs. Imagine the folowing DNA sequence ATG XXX ... XXX TTA. This sequence lacks a stop codon (TGA; TAG; TAA) and thus cannot be translated as it is. However, if in the following generation it occurs a mutation into ATG XXX ... XXX TGA (a change from T to G), then this new gene can be correctly translated. Et voila a new gene!

There are some complications to this like promoter regions or terminator sequences, but I've decided to keep it clear.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user