On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 08:46 AM
On the road to recovery from obesity
I just got started on a doctor supervised diet and I'm in ketosis. I'm in about 2 weeks now, using the program food exclusively. They have me on about 1200 calories. I walk or treadmill every day so far for exercise, and need to get some small weights to get started there.
I used to bicycle so my goal is to get on the bike later this spring.
My wife and I are dieting together and for now the house is contraband-free Big Grin

Here's the skinny ( LOL)
height 74" plus
308 pounds to start.
I had a vision of getting to 200.
They weighed and tested my bod with this electronic device body meter.
It came up with lean muscle mass of 109 pounds. I am somewhat of a brute.
This means that if I lose no muscle in the process, my target is now 225 pounds.
So far it is going well, my body is tolerating the diet food. I only had one bad go when I was away from home working on my truck for a couple of marathon days. I essentially did not eat enough and starved myself.
The doctor prescribed an appetite suppressing drug called Contrave, and it also kicked my ass. It is a combination of naltrexone and bupropion, and you ramp it up over a period of 4 weeks to 4 a day.
Only 4 days in, taking one pill at night, my appetite was gone. I had a strange fullness in the back of my throat and no desire to eat ANYTHING!
I called the nurse and we agreed it was not for me. I don't need it anyway, I am doing OK.
Post dated results:
12-4-2016 started program diet
12-8-2016 first weigh in 299 pounds
12-15-2016 second 293 pounds
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like skyking's post
20-12-2016, 08:59 AM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
I wish you continued success. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Congratulations! Good for you for taking the bull by the horns. Don't get too discouraged when you inevitably hit weight-loss plateaus. Remember our bodies were "designed" (hehehe) to keep weight on.

I'm sure your quality of life will improve tremendously!

Keep us posted!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
20-12-2016, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 09:18 AM by skyking.)
Thank you Jenny Heart
Thank you too man from Boston. I forget this forum moves along and I need to quote posts.
I'm not screwing around with this any more. I have been so lucky with good genes or whatever, lucky with my health. I started taking BP meds earlier this year after letting my marginal to high BP go untreated for years. I will get off that sometime this spring.

On the plateaus, I figure to just dial up the activity more and more as time goes on. When you weigh as much as I do now, your joints will only tolerate so much exercise. Running is out. I don't have good access to swimming now, but that may change. That one is free exercise Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
20-12-2016, 09:29 AM
At work.

Hug

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
20-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Congratulations! I hope you keep making progress and feeling better and better. Not an easy task, starting a diet during the holiday season!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
20-12-2016, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 10:21 AM by skyking.)
No kidding ! The Contraband will be out in view at my family's houses. I am resolute, my wife not so much. I am trying to form a strategy of bringing our own veggies and dip so we can nosh along and pretend we are having a good time. The goal is to not gain any weight for her. Men lose weight so much faster it sucks.
20-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Good luck with the diet...I am sure it will be easier to follow with your wife doing it too. Less temptations around the house.

Willpower is something I lack...it's a good thing food is not a weakness of mine.

Keep us posted on the progress.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I have been a veritable eating machine all my life. The change is huge, and really scary. I was the guy who ate 4 slices of pizza like it was nothing.
20-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Have you considered bariatric weight-loss surgery?