On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
yoga to treadmill walk cardo to Jogs to strength at the gym to pool aerobics. How about that ? Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
15-08-2017, 07:29 PM
It's been an interesting 5 weeks since I upddated this. I have averaged about 4 weight training sessions a week at the gym, only 1 cardio session, and about 2 swims. This week I added hot yoga to the mix.
I have finally moved into the two teens. I had bounced in and out, but now I think I own them, LOL.
less than 20 to get to 1-something. I have not been 1-something since about 1982.
15-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Just read through your thread. Looks like you've done an amazing job. Keep up the good work! I need to watch what I'm eating a little better than what I do. It's inspiring reading your story!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
16-08-2017, 11:42 AM
thank you. The numbers only show the extent of my up-fuckery. I look back and Shake My Head.
13-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Update: I have backslid about 5 pounds. Getting back to work on it.
12-05-2018, 08:15 AM
This is not a fun thread to think about, when you gain weight back.
The numbers:
I was at an all time low of 218 in late August.
I got that job working on the water, was very physically active and drifted up to 224 over the fall. This was a bit annoying Tongue
Over the winter and holidays I got as high as 232, dieting and eating badly and not as much exercise. This was more than annoying Censored
Since late January, I have basically been stable between 227 and 231.
In the exercise thread I posted about biking from the train to work. I have done this three weeks now, and see a solid 5 pound change. I think I have found my answer.
I need regular hard cardio and anerobic. I have not felt better. My knees hated running, and even the treadmill. All my aches and pains from the transition to cycling are about gone.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
12-05-2018, 08:29 AM
(12-05-2018 08:15 AM)skyking Wrote:  This is not a fun thread to think about, when you gain weight back.
The numbers:
I was at an all time low of 218 in late August.
I got that job working on the water, was very physically active and drifted up to 224 over the fall. This was a bit annoying Tongue
Over the winter and holidays I got as high as 232, dieting and eating badly and not as much exercise. This was more than annoying Censored
Since late January, I have basically been stable between 227 and 231.
In the exercise thread I posted about biking from the train to work. I have done this three weeks now, and see a solid 5 pound change. I think I have found my answer.
I need regular hard cardio and anerobic. I have not felt better. My knees hated running, and even the treadmill. All my aches and pains from the transition to cycling are about gone.

You do have to find something you like to do, and it sounds like biking's going to be it. Congratulations!

My husband was somewhat out of shape when I met him, and he went through a lot of experimenting before he started cycling seriously. He really loves it, and it's changed his body in some major ways (fabulous glutes, ooh la la) ...also given him a whole new set of friends, since he rides in some weekend groups.

Keeping weight off is a struggle for most, and since the body adapts, you have to change up your routine sometimes.

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
12-05-2018, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 09:02 AM by skyking.)
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, I really appreciate it.
I am not giving up yoga, i love it.
like anything else you need to make time to do it.
My hot yoga studio near me closed, which was devestating. I had just started back and had plans for regular weekday sessions. I have 44 prepaid sessions too. Luckily they are a chain, unfortunately the nearest studio is 40 minutes away with no traffic.
I have a plan to take my car to work Wednesdays and Thursdays, and go to that studio on the way home. The drive in is easy, and the drive to the studio is not bad. The traffic gets brutal after that. I will yoga and shower and let the traffic improve the 1.5 hours I am at the studio.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
12-05-2018, 11:13 AM
(12-05-2018 08:56 AM)skyking Wrote:  Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, I really appreciate it.
I am not giving up yoga, i love it.
like anything else you need to make time to do it.
My hot yoga studio near me closed, which was devestating. I had just started back and had plans for regular weekday sessions. I have 44 prepaid sessions too. Luckily they are a chain, unfortunately the nearest studio is 40 minutes away with no traffic.
I have a plan to take my car to work Wednesdays and Thursdays, and go to that studio on the way home. The drive in is easy, and the drive to the studio is not bad. The traffic gets brutal after that. I will yoga and shower and let the traffic improve the 1.5 hours I am at the studio.

Skyking, have you tried to put together a yoga routine on your own and do it in your own home? You could make a routine of "warm up" asanas for starting the day and then, add some more strenuous postures as a kind of "pre-ride work out". (I always recommend this nearly 50 year old, go-to book - google: 28 day yoga Richard Hittleman - it's in a large paperback format, now.)

In any case, it sounds like you've found your thing with the bike riding. Go you! Thumbsup

I'm into the bikes but, more for fun and I'm lazy a leisure rider. I'm a walker for the serious, life saving stuff - I need my cardio to be mindless. Wink
What you've accomplished is amazing! I wish I had a fraction of your discipline. (I'd apply it to my house cleaning issues. Wink )

This thing -of many- admire about you Skyking is: you are saving your own life! I wish others could take up this responsibility. Living life is a responsibility and you are living that responsibility and doing it well! Heart

I'm trying desperately to get a friend to face her weight issues but, she's at the "defiant refusal" stage.
Me: Hey, in the early am when its cool & dawnlight, maybe go out and have walk once around the block. Just once around then, come in, shower, & you're ready for the day. After a week or so, try it twice around. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Shy
Her: I'm not gonna do it! Angry
So yes, I do mean, defiant refusal.

Exact same conflict with vegetables as exercise: defiant refusal.

Is there something -anything- I can tell her? Any advise? Does she just have to hit rock bottom like an addict?

What was the thing that first spured your commitment to change your whole life?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-05-2018, 09:42 PM
I really enjoy the class situation in yoga. I doubt that I could do well without that.
About your friend: You are unlikely to change her. The motivation comes from within, and all you can do is be there when she does come around.
I'd speculate that she has very low self esteem, and figures she is not worth the effort.
I owe this to my wife. She was looking around, and found this doctor supervised program. I had been unhappy for a while, so when she suggested we start, I was all about it.
It's very hard to be the only one dieting in a household.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post