On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 10:46 AM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
(20-12-2016 10:44 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Have you considered bariatric weight-loss surgery?

With that surgery you still have to learn to change your eating habits. If you can manage without it you are better off. I have known several people (most of them women) who have had this done and ended up right back where they were or close to it.

It's a lifestyle change either way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-12-2016, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 11:15 AM by skyking.)
(20-12-2016 10:46 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 10:44 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Have you considered bariatric weight-loss surgery?

With that surgery you still have to learn to change your eating habits. If you can manage without it you are better off. I have known several people (most of them women) who have had this done and ended up right back where they were or close to it.

It's a lifestyle change either way.

Exactly! Bariatric weight loss surgery is bad juju. If you cannot modify your diet to lose the weight you will never be able to keep it off. The downsides can be horrific, the complications. Lifetime disabilities.
20-12-2016, 10:54 AM
I am currently 220.462 pounds. I am 5.11 or 6 foot tall. It feels a comfortable weight.

Good luck mate. It really helps one's agility to be lighter.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-12-2016, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 11:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(20-12-2016 08:46 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is a combination of naltrexone and bupropion, ...

Holy fuck dude. That's an anti-addiction drug coupled with an antidepressant designed for major depressive disorder. (I have extras of both if you run out.)

If you want a real pharmacological aid for weight loss that ain't meth or cocaine try Invokana. I piss out 500 calories per day in unabsorbed sugars.

But good work and keep it up! I started around the same as you (280 at 71"). Down to 210 now. Think 200 is about as low as I want to go. I am not particulary small framed.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-12-2016, 11:14 AM
(20-12-2016 10:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 08:46 AM)skyking Wrote:  It is a combination of naltrexone and bupropion, ...

Holy fuck dude. That's an anti-addiction drug coupled with an antidepressant designed for major depressive disorder. (I have extras of both if you run out.)

If you want a real pharmacological aid for weight loss that ain't meth or cocaine try Invokana. I piss out 500 calories per day in unabsorbed sugars.

But good work and keep it up! I started around the same as you (280 at 71"). Down to 210 now. Think 200 is about as low as I want to go. I am not particulary small framed.

I don't tolerate drugs well since I quit drinking. I never did well with pain meds, they had adverse reactions every time. It is easy to see how that shit kicked my ass!
20-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Sounds great that you found a way to loose weight and that you have a doctor at your side.

I hope very much for you that you will keep your target weight after you reach it and stop this regime.
I am not sure how much you read up on this type of diet (ketosis and appetite suppressors) but I advice that you do.

So many words of caution come to my mind right now but I also don't want to push you off your high right now. You are making progress as I see in your OP and that is great.
The one thing that I want to leave here with you is the fact that you need to learn healthy habits (portion sizes, good food, learning when you are thirsty and hungry, exersize). Because once you reach your target weight, you will come off the appetite suppressor and you will start eating normal food again. And if you have not learned these things by then, you will get very disappointed.

But for now, enjoy your success. And on your low days, when you don't want to do it anymore, look back at how far you have come so you know where you don't want to go anymore.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
20-12-2016, 06:29 PM
(20-12-2016 06:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  Sounds great that you found a way to loose weight and that you have a doctor at your side.

I hope very much for you that you will keep your target weight after you reach it and stop this regime.
I am not sure how much you read up on this type of diet (ketosis and appetite suppressors) but I advice that you do.

So many words of caution come to my mind right now but I also don't want to push you off your high right now. You are making progress as I see in your OP and that is great.
The one thing that I want to leave here with you is the fact that you need to learn healthy habits (portion sizes, good food, learning when you are thirsty and hungry, exersize). Because once you reach your target weight, you will come off the appetite suppressor and you will start eating normal food again. And if you have not learned these things by then, you will get very disappointed.

But for now, enjoy your success. And on your low days, when you don't want to do it anymore, look back at how far you have come so you know where you don't want to go anymore.

Cheers

Thank you Leela. I know you are facing your own struggles Hug
I only took the appetite suppressor 4 days and frankly it was horrible for me. I was not at all myself so now I go it without, and I am doing fine.
I have reached a place similar to when I quit drinking 26 years ago. I am so done with mindless eating.
I am a geek at heart and spend a lot of time at the keyboard, and believe me when I tell you that regular food as I knew it is a thing of my past.
I am already researching things that I can make and like to eat that are good for us.
I ate fast foods @~1000 calories a meal, sometimes more than once a day, and had a dinner on top of that on many days. I could down half a pizza, once again mindlessly.
For example:
I have already started "cheating". I boiled some cabbage and add some bacon crumbles for seasoning and flavor, and a little salt free seasoning as needed.
Cabbage @ 4.4 G sugar per cup, 33 calories
1 tablespoon Costco bacon crumbles
30 calories, 125 mg sodium (5%), 2G protein, 10 MG Cholesterol(3%) and a whole lot of flavor for a guy who is eating bland shakes and puddings.
So the bullet points there are, Sodium. watch that. Cholesterol, also to be watched. 4.4 G sugar is not huge. The bacon cannot be eaten like I used to, several strips at a time. It is now only a flavoring ingredient. I know what it costs me. I measure it.
No trans fats there, no starch to speak of in the cabbage, about 3 grams dietary fiber.
If I have 2 cups of cabbage and the 1 unit of bacon for flavor, it is still under 100 calories and it is nice to have something real and warm in the winter.

That was Sunday's "treat". I have no plans to do it every day.

I am reading labels and counting like never before.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
20-12-2016, 06:34 PM
(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  I am so done with mindless eating.

One thing I've found that helps with that is making my own meals. Not only can I control portion size and ingredients but I get satisfaction from having some skin in the game when I sit down to eat. That's another one. Never eat while you're standing.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Or in front of the TV or the keyboard. Put all that crap away and enjoy your meal and some peace and quiet.
20-12-2016, 07:24 PM
(20-12-2016 06:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  I am so done with mindless eating.

One thing I've found that helps with that is making my own meals. Not only can I control portion size and ingredients but I get satisfaction from having some skin in the game when I sit down to eat. That's another one. Never eat while you're standing.

If you eat when standing up, it makes your feet big. Tongue If that one was true, I'd be a foot tall and have 5'-9" long shoes. Big Grin

Good for you skyking. I need to lose about 40 lbs, myself. I was walking and maintaining my weight, but my feet hurt, so I stopped doing it, and picked up a bunch of weight. I'm getting the orthotics sorted out, and it's a lot better. I don't like swimming in other people's effluvia, so that is out.