On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2016, 07:27 PM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
I managed to lose 60 lbs. My take on it is you have to accept the fact that you're going to be really hungry for a long time. I put 20 of it back on but I'm still 40 down from a year ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
20-12-2016, 08:35 PM
I'm not hungry beyond psychological crap. When you get into ketosis hunger seems to go away.
21-12-2016, 12:35 PM
(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  Thank you Leela. I know you are facing your own struggles Hug
I only took the appetite suppressor 4 days and frankly it was horrible for me. I was not at all myself so now I go it without, and I am doing fine.
I have reached a place similar to when I quit drinking 26 years ago. I am so done with mindless eating.
I am a geek at heart and spend a lot of time at the keyboard, and believe me when I tell you that regular food as I knew it is a thing of my past.
I am already researching things that I can make and like to eat that are good for us.
I ate fast foods @~1000 calories a meal, sometimes more than once a day, and had a dinner on top of that on many days. I could down half a pizza, once again mindlessly.
For example:
I have already started "cheating". I boiled some cabbage and add some bacon crumbles for seasoning and flavor, and a little salt free seasoning as needed.
Cabbage @ 4.4 G sugar per cup, 33 calories
1 tablespoon Costco bacon crumbles
30 calories, 125 mg sodium (5%), 2G protein, 10 MG Cholesterol(3%) and a whole lot of flavor for a guy who is eating bland shakes and puddings.
So the bullet points there are, Sodium. watch that. Cholesterol, also to be watched. 4.4 G sugar is not huge. The bacon cannot be eaten like I used to, several strips at a time. It is now only a flavoring ingredient. I know what it costs me. I measure it.
No trans fats there, no starch to speak of in the cabbage, about 3 grams dietary fiber.
If I have 2 cups of cabbage and the 1 unit of bacon for flavor, it is still under 100 calories and it is nice to have something real and warm in the winter.

That was Sunday's "treat". I have no plans to do it every day.

I am reading labels and counting like never before.
Sounds great!
Don't worry about a treat of that kind. It is nutricious and tasty, so why the hell not Wink
My own weight struggles are fading. I am still fat but I am losing it finally, now that I am on the thyroid medicine. For me that makes a huge difference because before that medicine, a normal healthy diet would have me gain weight so I had to constantly undereat to keep my weight. Now I can eat concsiously but normal and am losing it slowly.
Did you check with your doctor if you have any underlying issues? Because if you do, medicine that gets your physical problems in check might also make the weight loss easier.

Anyway, I am happy for you, that you are finding ways that work for you. I know it is hard to find the thing that works, especially when you have tried a lot of things already.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
21-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Unlike you Leela, I have not tried much. My weight went up and down with the varying activity of my work, which has slacked off lately. I ballooned in response to that.
You were screwed by your thyroid, that was really discouraging for you.
They ran a full blood panel on me and I have had a couple over the last few years. Nothing crops up there, no big issues.

Today I went in, and I've lost another 4. Down to 289.
The big news from today was my BP.
It was 112/68 !!!!!!
This is a number I cannot remember seeing, ever. I am on the low dose of Losartan, but my prediction of getting off it is looking better.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
21-12-2016, 04:18 PM
(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  I have already started "cheating". I boiled some cabbage and add some bacon crumbles for seasoning and flavor, ...

I wouldn't sweat the Costco bacon bit. First they're real bacon of high quality. Second you're eating a lot less of it than you think. Easy enough to scarf down 6 bacon strips, not so easy to scarf down a cup of bits.

(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  .... for a guy who is eating bland shakes and puddings.

You don't have to do this. All you really have to do is eat a variety of real, minimally processed foods.

(20-12-2016 06:29 PM)skyking Wrote:  I know what it costs me. I measure it. .... I am reading labels and counting like never before.

You'll quickly get to the point where all you read is the ingredient list because you already know the cost/benefit of each ingredient.

Keep it up! And glad it hear it doesn't sound like you have diabetes or your labs would've shown it.

That blood pressure is really good.

Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Day 25, pounds lost, 24
We made a strategy for the Christmas visit. I got costco bags of broccoli, cauliflower, and celery and made up some uncle Dan's dressing.
We were surrounded buy all sorts of carb-a-licious contraband, many feet of counter space devoted to all those cookies and cakes and candies .......
I kept munching broccoli and playing my own inner mantra.
30-12-2016, 06:27 AM
(20-12-2016 10:46 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-12-2016 10:44 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Have you considered bariatric weight-loss surgery?

With that surgery you still have to learn to change your eating habits. If you can manage without it you are better off. I have known several people (most of them women) who have had this done and ended up right back where they were or close to it.

It's a lifestyle change either way.

A guy I work with did this and lost over 100 lbs in a year. But, it's absolutely a lifestyle change. If you think you get the surgery and you're all good, you are going to have big problems. The guy I know had to go for all kinds of psychological evaluations before they would let him do it. But, he was committed and looks great. He eats around 1,000 calories a day now. I couldn't do that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-12-2016, 08:51 AM
I can get all these personal horror stories of what can go wrong with gastric bypass, but I am sure you have heard them. I get blood work done once a month to make sure my kidneys are happy, ketosis puts a big load on them. No way would I do this on my own, not at this level.
The good news is I can go back to about 2400 calories a day of good food when I am at target weight, so long as I keep up the exercise regimen.
30-12-2016, 08:55 AM
How much weight have you lost so far?
30-12-2016, 09:01 AM
look up about three posts. 24 pounds so far.