On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
Thanks Girly Smile
Made another goal today, got my DOT physical!
They have charts with age, neck size, do you snore, BMI. IF you are in the wrong part of those charts you *get* to do a sleep study, at your cost. I dropped my BMI low enough to avoid all that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
03-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Hope all goes well skyking! Keep on moving. Smile
05-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Increasing my cardio daily, still the same time on the treadmill but increasing speed and incline. Throwing some 'sprint' ( lol, still walking) sections in.
Using the home BP cuff, I am 126/87 and HR 105 right after the treadmill. I had a 3 minute cooldown section, so my estimate is HR 120 or so.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
05-03-2017, 12:20 PM
(05-03-2017 12:04 PM)skyking Wrote:  Increasing my cardio daily, still the same time on the treadmill but increasing speed and incline. Throwing some 'sprint' ( lol, still walking) sections in.

I don't run (that shit killed Jim Fixx and it tears old man knees to shreds) and I don't even like walking fast. Come to think of it, I don't much like to move at all. I always put my treadmill at the highest incline (10 deg) and plod along at 2.5-3 mph and I can use the rails to help when the mountain starts to beat the man. I put on Leonard Cohen and pretend I'm Sisyphus.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-03-2017, 12:27 PM
I don't like walking fast on the treadmill either, which means it must be doing something Big Grin
17-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Went for the longest walk to date. I started out with good intentions and had to take 2 phone calls. So I get going again at 20 minutes and go a total of 72 minutes and 5 miles @ 4% incline. HR was an average of 134, and right towards the end it started going down a bit.
Yay endorphins!
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
17-03-2017, 03:21 PM
That's great, skyking!

How's your nutrition going?
17-03-2017, 03:28 PM
(17-03-2017 02:09 PM)skyking Wrote:  Went for the longest walk to date. I started out with good intentions and had to take 2 phone calls. So I get going again at 20 minutes and go a total of 72 minutes and 5 miles @ 4% incline. HR was an average of 134, and right towards the end it started going down a bit.
Yay endorphins!

That's a good sign that your are becoming fit. Fat people can be fit. Keep an eye on when that pulse rate comes back to normal, that should be getting faster and faster. Soon it should be down to a couple of minutes. Then you are fit.

#sigh
17-03-2017, 03:43 PM
(17-03-2017 02:09 PM)skyking Wrote:  Went for the longest walk to date. I started out with good intentions and had to take 2 phone calls. So I get going again at 20 minutes and go a total of 72 minutes and 5 miles @ 4% incline. HR was an average of 134, and right towards the end it started going down a bit.
Yay endorphins!

Mate, one step at a time. (pun unintended)

Two weeks ago I walked up a hill I'd not been able to climb in 4 years.

You will get there. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-03-2017, 05:07 PM
(05-03-2017 12:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:04 PM)skyking Wrote:  Increasing my cardio daily, still the same time on the treadmill but increasing speed and incline. Throwing some 'sprint' ( lol, still walking) sections in.

I don't run (that shit killed Jim Fixx and it tears old man knees to shreds) and I don't even like walking fast. Come to think of it, I don't much like to move at all. I always put my treadmill at the highest incline (10 deg) and plod along at 2.5-3 mph and I can use the rails to help when the mountain starts to beat the man. I put on Leonard Cohen and pretend I'm Sisyphus.

My treadmill goes up to 15 degrees. Tongue

The last time I got overenthusiastic about running I wound up in the ER and my eventual copay/billings cost me more than $600 for 15 minutes of care (palpation by the doc on call and a couple of x-rays).

I like to treadmill to John Oliver or Samantha Bee or documentaries or my book of the moment. Running and reading don't mix for me--too bouncy to keep my eye on the line of text--so I mostly walk.

I have a T-shirt from Despairware with Sisyphus on it and the slogan "that's how I roll."

To OP: mixing it up is better for your fitness than trying to ratchet up the numbers on your treadmill. Add biking or elliptical or dance or martial arts. Also make sure you're doing strength and flexibility training.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post