On the road to recovery from obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2017, 07:18 AM
RE: On the road to recovery from obesity
(23-05-2017 02:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Have you tried intermittent fasting king of the sky? I'm down to 190 from 280 using it and still losing weight with minimal exercise limited to lifting big rocks one day a week. I'm a big fan of bio-hacking. We haz teh teknologyz.

Wow Girly that's great!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2017, 03:50 AM
Hands down to men and women who accept the challenge of change! I, too, feel like modifying my lifestyle to get back to my pre-pregnancy figure.
31-05-2017, 11:37 PM
I have not tried intermittent fasting, my diet is the polar opposite. Many small meals spaced throughout the day.
It's been a while since I posted. The last two weeks, I lost a total of 2.2 pounds.
I got in 4 1 hour brisk walks on the beach last weekend, and have started back on the treadmill.
07-06-2017, 04:16 AM
Great results! Keep going! You know cellulite was a real problem for me too, esp after my 2nd pregnancy. I have been reading many articles and tried many creams and diets but it all was worthless. Then I decided to go to the professional consmetologist and she advised me to order a professional cellulite reduction machine at https://bimedis.com for home use. At 1st I thought that it was a waste of money. But when I saw 1st results I was pleasantly surprised. No regrets! All my friends envy me now
[+] 1 user Likes MuntyJay's post
14-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Been a rough few weeks, still on a hard plateau. I dialed the exercise way up, just have to wait for some results.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-06-2017, 04:25 PM
(07-06-2017 04:16 AM)MuntyJay Wrote:  Great results! Keep going! You know cellulite was a real problem for me too, esp after my 2nd pregnancy. I have been reading many articles and tried many creams and diets but it all was worthless. Then I decided to go to the professional consmetologist and she advised me to order a professional cellulite reduction machine at https://bimedis.com for home use. At 1st I thought that it was a waste of money. But when I saw 1st results I was pleasantly surprised. No regrets! All my friends envy me now
I had missed this post. Thank you, I will check that out. My issue will ultimtely be skin, and I may win that battle too.
07-07-2017, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 03:06 PM by Deltabravo.)
(20-12-2016 08:46 AM)skyking Wrote:  I just got started on a doctor supervised diet and I'm in ketosis. I'm in about 2 weeks now, using the program food exclusively. They have me on about 1200 calories. I walk or treadmill every day so far for exercise, and need to get some small weights to get started there.
I used to bicycle so my goal is to get on the bike later this spring.
My wife and I are dieting together and for now the house is contraband-free Big Grin

Here's the skinny ( LOL)
height 74" plus
308 pounds to start.
I had a vision of getting to 200.
They weighed and tested my bod with this electronic device body meter.
It came up with lean muscle mass of 109 pounds. I am somewhat of a brute.
This means that if I lose no muscle in the process, my target is now 225 pounds.
So far it is going well, my body is tolerating the diet food. I only had one bad go when I was away from home working on my truck for a couple of marathon days. I essentially did not eat enough and starved myself.
The doctor prescribed an appetite suppressing drug called Contrave, and it also kicked my ass. It is a combination of naltrexone and bupropion, and you ramp it up over a period of 4 weeks to 4 a day.
Only 4 days in, taking one pill at night, my appetite was gone. I had a strange fullness in the back of my throat and no desire to eat ANYTHING!
I called the nurse and we agreed it was not for me. I don't need it anyway, I am doing OK.
Post dated results:
12-4-2016 started program diet
12-8-2016 first weigh in 299 pounds
12-15-2016 second 293 pounds

My wife has a weight problem. She had a stroke about 20 years ago and started to gain weight around the waist. She started drinking heavily when her ex-husband ran off with another woman and struggled with her weight since she couldn't walk very well and has to use a walking stick. She fell about 5 years ago and fractured her ankle and was in a wheel chair for five months and put on a huge amount of weight so she opted for gastric band surgery.

She lost a huge amount of weight and ended up looking emaciated and unwell and eventually her band caused her stomach to close up and she nearly died of starvation and dementia. She went into a coma a year ago and was hospitalized here. We then flew to Brussels to have surgery to remove the band and she has put on about half the weigh she lost, about 50 lbs.

In November of last year she got onto a better treatment for her neurological condition and has really come on well since then and is much better. We are now walking regularly with the dogs and her whole outlook is much brighter.

A few week ago I came across an internet site of a chiropractor called Eric Berg who advocates holistic approaches to health problems like weight. I watched his video about how to lose weight with the use of apple cider vinegar. It's a commercial channel and he is sponsored by a AVC producer but what he says makes a lot of sense.

I'm no doctor but, essentially, he says that weight gain is a result of insulin issues. The body releases insulin to turn sugar into stored fat and the body does not like losing fat because the body stores fat to survive. If one has an insulin problem, then the body stores fat in an unregulated and excessive way and the only way to deal with that is to "get well" first by correcting the diet issue which brings on insulin resistance.

Where the ACV comes in, I think, is that it aids digestion by adding acid to the stomach. That way, the body converts food much more easily into the energy it needs and doesn't need to convert sugars into fat.

I don't want to misstate what he says, but the long and the short of it is that we both started following this plan of taking a couple of spoonfuls of ACV in water before each meal and the weight has dropped off both of us. We've both lost about 8lbs in a few weeks with no exercise other than a few short walks in the hills with our dogs. My wife's cravings for chocolate have subsided; she was going through a couple of large bars of Dairy Milk a day. The ACV regime also involves cutting out sugars. I am finding now that the ACV drink seems to suppress my desire to raid the fridge for sweeties. We are also eating a lot more eggs and a lot of watermellon.

I've come to the conclusion after seeing her fail on every other diet program and with a gatric band, that Berg is on to something. His "take away" idea is that you have to get well and then lose weight, which, when you think about it, is an interesting thought. If by exercising or starving yourself, you are depriving your body of something the body has become programmed to want, then you are only going to get a rebound binge when you stop the diet.

He also explains how this insulin resistance causes protein buildup in the nerves and eyes and causes dementia and blindness, ie., cataracts. My mother in law who has type 2 diabetes is suffering from Lewey Body dementia which is a buildup of protein in the nerves of the brain and also had cataracts.

I'm not advertising this guy's site, by the way, as he has had a run-in with the medical board for advertising bogus products... But, I have tried various diets and I always put all the weight back on because I was constantly craving chocolate and high carb foods. That seems to have gone away now, so, fingers crossed.

PS, I don't want to be a buzz-kill and I am an "anti-naltrexone" advocate and have been for several years. These type of drugs aim at diminishing "psychological" or more accurately, neurological craving, but they don't address insulin issues, as far as I am aware. I have read a huge amount about how Naltrexone and Nalmafene have been marketed over the years in alcoholism and the end result is now becoming apparent that the drug is pretty useless. There are a number of pharmas who push these drugs hard, often based on flawed research and sketchy results so I'd be interested to see how this goes for weight reduction. At the moment I am hugely skeptical but do wish you all the best in your treatment.
07-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Interesting that you did not read the thread at all, copied the OP from 7 months ago, and posted an OP-ED in my thread. Do you wonder how you get negative feedback most of the time? Kindly fuck off, or take the time to read the thread. Thank you.
07-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Still battling it out about 30 pounds above my self imposed goal of 190. My muscle mass is increasing all the time, so I am losing fat, just not in excess of the muscle gains. it is a discouraging number game but it shows in the mirror.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
07-07-2017, 05:00 PM
(07-07-2017 04:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  Still battling it out about 30 pounds above my self imposed goal of 190. My muscle mass is increasing all the time, so I am losing fat, just not in excess of the muscle gains. it is a discouraging number game but it shows in the mirror.

Have you tried changing your type of exercise to challenge your muscles in a different way? Dancing or yoga or martial arts or biking or swimming?