On your deathbed...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
RE: On your deathbed...
(07-08-2015 12:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 10:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  We have members who are struggling with serious illness on this forum and I just find this thread a tad bit insensitive. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, biker, but it is. Sorry.

We are all facing death...some sooner than others. Death is discussed here from time to time as it is a part of life. Hiding from the topic doesn't make it go away.

I don't think the topic itself is insensitive, but the response about suiciding, I think, is a little worrisome, insofar as it might well fall on receptive ears.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 12:28 PM
(07-08-2015 12:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 10:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  We have members who are struggling with serious illness on this forum and I just find this thread a tad bit insensitive. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, biker, but it is. Sorry.

We are all facing death...some sooner than others. Death is discussed here from time to time as it is a part of life. Hiding from the topic doesn't make it go away.

As for deathbed conversions - my dad made it clear when he was in hospice and then a facility that he didn't want any preachers or prayers. His wishes were respected. His lady friend said that his last word was "John", his brother's name. He wasn't calling out to a god.

I faced cancer without even considering prayer. Lots of people said they were praying for me...okay, thanks, whatever. I will search for a good medical team. My mortality slapped me right in the face but I knew it was time to put on my big girl panties and fight back.

Besides, if I was going to pray about it, it didn't make sense to pray to the entity that (following the 'logic') gave me cancer to begin with.

No, I don't believe in hiding from death either. Death is a part of life. Something we will all need to face at some point. That doesn't mean that we can't still be sensitive to others who may be dealing with serious illness. That was my only point.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-08-2015, 12:49 PM
(07-08-2015 12:09 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  In fact, one of the very situations that I am struggling with right now is how to handle the discussion of death.

If you haven't run across them already, check out Grief Beyond Belief

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-08-2015, 12:52 PM
(07-08-2015 12:27 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 12:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We are all facing death...some sooner than others. Death is discussed here from time to time as it is a part of life. Hiding from the topic doesn't make it go away.

I don't think the topic itself is insensitive, but the response about suiciding, I think, is a little worrisome, insofar as it might well fall on receptive ears.

Better hope Girly doesn't show up then.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-08-2015, 12:57 PM
(07-08-2015 12:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 12:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We are all facing death...some sooner than others. Death is discussed here from time to time as it is a part of life. Hiding from the topic doesn't make it go away.

As for deathbed conversions - my dad made it clear when he was in hospice and then a facility that he didn't want any preachers or prayers. His wishes were respected. His lady friend said that his last word was "John", his brother's name. He wasn't calling out to a god.

I faced cancer without even considering prayer. Lots of people said they were praying for me...okay, thanks, whatever. I will search for a good medical team. My mortality slapped me right in the face but I knew it was time to put on my big girl panties and fight back.

Besides, if I was going to pray about it, it didn't make sense to pray to the entity that (following the 'logic') gave me cancer to begin with.

No, I don't believe in hiding from death either. Death is a part of life. Something we will all need to face at some point. That doesn't mean that we can't still be sensitive to others who may be dealing with serious illness. That was my only point.

Many have faced serious health issues and part of that is coming to terms with the possibility of death.

Hiding from that, or pretending it isn't a possibility, is what those who believe they will leave this world and wake up with all their deceased friends and family in heaven rely on.

No one has been insensitive in this thread.

And as for taking your own way out if faced with a terminal illness, it's been discussed here many, many times. There are those that are for it and those against. It depends on the person and the circumstances.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Quote:I wonder - how many Messiahsniffers out there realize on their deathbed -- "There ain't no god"????

I wonder if any of them stop to think "all that fucking praying I did accomplished exactly nothing."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-08-2015, 01:09 PM
(07-08-2015 12:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 12:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  No, I don't believe in hiding from death either. Death is a part of life. Something we will all need to face at some point. That doesn't mean that we can't still be sensitive to others who may be dealing with serious illness. That was my only point.

Many have faced serious health issues and part of that is coming to terms with the possibility of death.

Hiding from that, or pretending it isn't a possibility, is what those who believe they will leave this world and wake up with all their deceased friends and family in heaven rely on.

And as for taking your own way out if faced with a terminal illness, it's been discussed here many, many times. There are those that are for it and those against. It depends on the person and the circumstances.

I thought the thread itself and what it could bring with it could be viewed as insensitive to someone *currently* going through a serious illness. This is only my opinion, I was offering it, as you are offering yours.
07-08-2015, 01:17 PM
(07-08-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 12:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Many have faced serious health issues and part of that is coming to terms with the possibility of death.

I thought the thread itself and what it could bring with it could be viewed as insensitive to someone *currently* going through a serious illness. This is only my opinion, I was offering it, as you are offering yours.

If we got rid of every thread that may upset someone this would be an empty forum.

Running from the truth isn't the way of many of the people here. Even when that truth is seen as unpleasant.

If this thread would have been here a few years ago when I was 'currently' dealing with cancer, I wouldn't have found it offensive or insensitive. Most people with a good grasp on reality can handle real talk.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
(07-08-2015 01:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 01:09 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I thought the thread itself and what it could bring with it could be viewed as insensitive to someone *currently* going through a serious illness. This is only my opinion, I was offering it, as you are offering yours.

If we got rid of every thread that may upset someone this would be an empty forum.

Running from the truth isn't the way of many of the people here. Even when that truth is seen as unpleasant.

If this thread would have been here a few years ago when I was 'currently' dealing with cancer, I wouldn't have found it offensive or insensitive. Most people with a good grasp on reality can handle real talk.

I wasn't suggesting hiding or running from anything. I was just suggesting we are just a little sensitive to others who may be going through a serious illness. I never said hide. I never said don't talk about it. I never said don't grasp reality or real talk. I said be a little sensitive. One forum member has a thread that talks about what he is dealing with health-wise and I am a frequent poster on his thread. I also email this person and we talk offline. Additionally, I work in the medical field. So, no, I don't hide from illness or reality.

I am glad you are doing better health-wise.
07-08-2015, 01:38 PM
(07-08-2015 01:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 01:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If we got rid of every thread that may upset someone this would be an empty forum.

I wasn't suggesting hiding or running from anything. I was just suggesting we are just a little sensitive to others who may be going through a serious illness. I never said hide. I never said don't talk about it. I never said don't grasp reality or real talk. I said be a little sensitive. One forum member has a thread that talks about what he is dealing with health-wise and I am a frequent poster on his thread. I also email this person and we talk offline. Additionally, I work in the medical field. So, no, I don't hide from illness or reality.

I am glad you are doing better health-wise.

Guess I didn't realize that someone on here is ill since I have never posted on that thread or interacted behind the scenes.

The point is that the subject isn't insensitive.

I also work in the medical field...have had cancer...anything else you want to go toe to toe on?