On your knees Please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 03:30 PM by Mr Woof.)
On your knees Please!
One of the more annoying aspects of the christian faith, to me, is the grovelling before god.
Particularly in the catholic mass there is much, knee bowing, even to the virgin Mary, along with pleas such as "we worship, you we, adore you" and claims as to the unworthiness of all in attendance. The whole interaction is largely one of surrender and being taken over by the holy spirit.

This surrender and worship of god is based on an alleged fall.Or was it two falls?
Humanity is seen as tainted by god's Adams family's sin or a fall from Heaven by 1/3 of god's then residing angels. Perhaps it was both.

So the god of cancer, starving infants, tsunamis, plagues, torture and turbulence demands our adoration for sins of some nature we know nothing about. Hardly fair really.

Oh yes, I almost forgot; failure to take part in this pantomime means permanent torture.Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: On your knees Please!
I shall not bow to illegitimate authority.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-02-2015, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 03:51 PM by Anjele.)
(15-02-2015 03:27 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  One of the more annoying aspects of the christian faith, to me, is the grovelling before god.
Particularly in the catholic mass there is much, knee bowing, even to the virgin Mary, along with pleas such as "we worship, you we, adore you" and claims as to the unworthiness of all in attendance. The whole interaction is largely one of surrender and being taken over by the holy spirit.

This surrender and worship of god is based on an alleged fall.Or was it two falls?
Humanity is seen as tainted by god's Adams family's sin or a fall from Heaven by 1/3 of god's then residing angels. Perhaps it was both.

So the god of cancer, starving infants, tsunamis, plagues, torture and turbulence demands our adoration for sins of some nature we know nothing about. Hardly fair really.

Oh yes, I almost forgot; failure to take part in this pantomime means permanent torture.Evil_monster

Shortly after learning to walk, Catholic kids must learn how to genuflect. It becomes automatic...in other words no thought is put into it. You just do it.

It means so much that genuflect was the word used to describe not quite coming to a full stop at a stop sign or stop light around the town where I grew up. I am pretty sure that's technically blasphemous.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I don't understand the kneeling thing. But then again, I don't understand the idea of unworthiness either. All life, all beings, are inherently equal. Why should I kneel before god? Why should I be punished for things I had no part in, no choice in, and no control over? Why would I be held as less for mistakes I made out of ignorance, or while I was learning what morality was? Why should I count myself unworthy, and to whom?

Plus my knees are not meant to meet the ground. I saw a sign today on a church that said, "you can not stumble if you are kneeling." You also can't stand tall on your knees, or stride confidently towards your goals. I am a woman, and my proper posture is on my feet, not my knees.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
15-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Christians claim they have a loving god, but the near constant groveling and thanking and self deprecation really gives off the vibe of people who are absolutely terrified that their god might just strike them dead at a moment's notice.

I find the whole thing actually kind of sickening to watch.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
15-02-2015, 04:12 PM
(15-02-2015 03:57 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Christians claim they have a loving god, but the near constant groveling and thanking and self deprecation really gives off the vibe of people who are absolutely terrified that their god might just strike them dead at a moment's notice.

I find the whole thing actually kind of sickening to watch.
In fairness, it was not my experience back when I was in the faith, that people thought of such things as more than a gesture of respect for god. Of course as a former evangelical, I can't speak to Catholic or other high church rituals, but even we had the constant prayer and adoration thing going. I think it was largely a social tic, really. It was what one was supposed to do.

That doesn't change that it is ridiculous. And whether or not the average pew-warmer is aware of it, it's based on exactly what everyone is discussing here: the utter depravity, original sin, and complete unworthiness of the supplicant, the total worthiness of god despite his complete lack of accountability for following his own rules and principles, and the threat of eternal damnation.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
15-02-2015, 04:31 PM
(15-02-2015 03:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 03:27 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  One of the more annoying aspects of the christian faith, to me, is the grovelling before god.

Shortly after learning to walk, Catholic kids must learn how to genuflect. It becomes automatic...in other words no thought is put into it. You just do it.

It means so much that genuflect was the word used to describe not quite coming to a full stop at a stop sign or stop light around the town where I grew up. I am pretty sure that's technically blasphemous.

This genuflection is given in part to the priests too, which makes cases of child abuse all that more abhorent.