Once Upon A Time...when we were civil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Once Upon A Time...when we were civil
Perhaps I'm being idealistically nostalgic (selective memory ?). But I do remember a time when I could debate the issues of atheism/theology, science/religion, and fact/faith without resorting to the name calling...liberal vs conservative...divisive BS into which THE conversation has degenerated. Issues once debated in a civil manner by great minds have now become petty bickering points in a seemingly endless US vs THEM mentality. Your thoughts and comments, please.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
31-08-2015, 09:18 PM
RE: Once Upon A Time...when we were civil
Where at?

I find it more able and open in areas these days compared to the past but locations change and ideas change.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Then the Internet happened.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Depends on who is debating. If the opponent is actually willing to listen and debate then it usually is civil but if they ignore what we have to say and spam the same tings over and over again, do not back up their claims and just say god did it in 1,000 different ways then it will get annoying and get people frustrated.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
31-08-2015, 09:42 PM
(31-08-2015 09:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Then the Internet happened.

You touched on exactly what I was thinking. It's not a bad thing per se. We have enabled the great "UNWASHED MASSES" (myself included) to join the conversation. But instead of some "GLORIOUS COMING TOGETHER" we have this increasing polarization. Why ? What is the cause ? The interwebs ? Perhaps the access to unlimited information validating our own beliefs ?

The second mouse gets the cheese.
31-08-2015, 09:49 PM
(31-08-2015 09:16 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Perhaps I'm being idealistically nostalgic (selective memory ?). But I do remember a time when I could debate the issues of atheism/theology, science/religion, and fact/faith without resorting to the name calling...liberal vs conservative...divisive BS into which THE conversation has degenerated. Issues once debated in a civil manner by great minds have now become petty bickering points in a seemingly endless US vs THEM mentality. Your thoughts and comments, please.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-08-2015, 09:52 PM
(31-08-2015 09:42 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(31-08-2015 09:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Then the Internet happened.

You touched on exactly what I was thinking. It's not a bad thing per se. We have enabled the great "UNWASHED MASSES" (myself included) to join the conversation. But instead of some "GLORIOUS COMING TOGETHER" we have this increasing polarization. Why ? What is the cause ? The interwebs ? Perhaps the access to unlimited information validating our own beliefs ?

Anonymity, perhaps, and distance. Also, because people suck. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2015, 10:08 PM
If you're talking about on THIS forum? I think the tone changed sometime around when Taqiyya Mockingbird showed up. Or maybe Chippy.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
31-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Issues debated by great minds huh?

Once upon a time there was some obligation to take the twits seriously. Then a bunch of their stronger arguments got dismantled, so the only twits left were the dumbasses who didn't get it. Unfortunately the remaining dumbasses a. are politically powerful b. cannot be reasoned with in elegant sentences. Therefore the debate descended to their level.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-08-2015, 10:39 PM
A combination of "everybody here already knows me, so fuck it", and "these are the exact same horseshit arguments as last time, so fuck it".

It'd be a lot easier to be charitable if the latest flavour of the month in dogshit forum apologetics weren't so pathologically dishonest.

... this is my signature!
[+] 8 users Like cjlr's post