Once upon a time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 06:44 PM
RE: Once upon a time...
I opened the top hatch of the machine, carefully placing the entire sack inside. I adjusted some more dials before closing the hatch back up. The orange glow became so intense that I had to shield my eyes. The noise grew to be so loud, I had to cover my ears. I started to get nervous; it never did this before. I took a small step back. The entire room started to rumble and the windows were shaking in their panes.

Then the room went black. It seemed the whole world stopped at once. When my eyes adjusted to the dark, I was startled to see him standing right in front of me. He was looming and threatening as always.

"Welcome back," I said and with that, I pulled the ancient weapon I had concealed on my belt.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2013, 07:17 PM
But to my surprise, he grabbed my arm. "No!" he yelled in a gruff, almost metallic voice. Sam raised his gun but the entity held out his arm in Sam's direction. As he did so, the gun was yanked from Sam's hand through some invisible means and shattered against the nearby wall. The entity returned his eyes to mine and I struggled to free myself from his grasp, but was unable to. "We must not continue this fight," he said sternly. "This is much bigger than our pety differences." I could only look at him with a mixture of shock and confusion.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2013, 07:38 PM
I gathered my thoughts and angrily, I stared into his eyes, "Why should I believe a word you have to say?"

"You don't know what it was like," came his reply. He softened his grip on my arm, "It was awful."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
26-02-2013, 08:10 PM
He looked at me once more; gauging my demeanor. But slowly, with an unexpected submissiveness, he let go of my arm completely. I was shocked. I looked at Sam, who's uneasy eyes darted from me to our friend; who seated himself in a chair nearby. Was this a trick? Some sort of ploy? I couldn't be sure. With my hand still wrapped around my weapon, I took a few small, careful steps to my left. The entity let out a sigh.

26-02-2013, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 12:00 AM by Peanut.)
"I knew you'd blame me for what happened," he said slowly. "I didn't mean to come between the two of you."

"You knew that your being there was going to change her mind," I said, anger slowly building in my voice. "You didn't even try to stay away. You kept going back to her. How can I trust the man who allowed the one person I loved more than anything in the world to die?"

"I tried to tell her it was wrong," he said it with such a genuine sadness, he appeared honest. "She insisted on going through with the plan anyway; even though it was against your wishes."

How were we going to put aside our differences and try to change the past to save the woman we both loved?

26-02-2013, 11:46 PM
"Hold the fuck on," Sam interjected. "How the hell we supposed to trust this mother-fucker when he left us both high and dry the last time we saw him?"

It was a valid question, and one which demanded an answer. Still, I couldn't help but be impressed by the apparent sincerity in the entity's voice. If he was lying, he was certainly very good at it. But I needed an answer none the less.

"Well?" I asked. "How are we supposed to trust you?"

27-02-2013, 12:13 AM
"I did the best I could to convince her that she needed to clear things with you before we could go forward in the plan," he said after thinking for a minute-it seemed like an eternity.

It reminded me of the way she tended to get people to follow her lead. If she wanted to do something, she was going to do it. I have no doubt she was able to make this man believe anything was possible.

"In what ways did she alter the original plan?" I asked. "She had to have known the risks."

27-02-2013, 12:17 AM
"She did," he replied, "but she ignored them. She knew there was no way either of you would allow her to go on her own. But she knew me. She knew that I didn't think with my heart; I thought with my head. So she came to me; knowing I would agree that her decision to go alone was the most logical choice. And it was. But I..." He paused, as though to fight back a torrent of tears.

"I had no idea that it would cost her what it did."

27-02-2013, 12:34 AM
I took a moment to absorb everything. I realized I needed to be strong. In the end, we all wanted the same outcome; things just got out of hand.

"Okay," I said. "Let's just get to work getting her back."

I walked over to the drawer by the window and pulled out the notes that were safely hidden inside. They were more than a century old and yellowed with age.

27-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I was attempting to read the faded print when Sam approached me to my left. "You're not seriously considering this guy's bullshit, are you?"
"I don't know what to think right now," I replied, "but I know that if there's even the slightest chance of getting Charlotte back, I'm going to go for it."
He looked at me with disapproval. "Even if it means trusting a guy like Victor?"
I didn't answer him. I simply turned and approached the nearby table. I brushed the thin layer of dust off with my hand and put the papers down. I then raised my eyes to Victor, who was still sulking in the chair - his pitch-black face buried in his hands - and I spoke sternly. "Victor," I said, "I need you to decipher this text for me. It is in a language only you can understand, and it's the only way we can have any possible hope of getting Charlotte back."
He raised his head from his misery and looked at Sam and me. "You don't fully understand, do you?" he asked. Sam and I looked at one another in silence. "This isn't traditional necromancy," Victor explained, "she's not in a place just beyond where we can see; waiting for us to chant a few ancient rhymes so she can be brought back. That's the stuff of outdated Human superstition and fantasy. She's in a much different place entirely."