Once upon a time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 05:33 AM
RE: Once upon a time...
"Charlotte is essentially reliving the past," he explained. "She's on a plane parallel to ours. The Charlotte we knew on this plane no longer exists. She is alive, but it's an altered state of being. Her new world is stuck on a continual loop replaying events infinitely."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 05:46 AM
"Sounds like fuckin' hell," Sam said; leaning against the table next to me. My heart sank thinking about the woman I love living in some other dimension that I don't even understand. I wondered if she was in pain, or if she missed me. Does she even know that she's reliving things the way Victor says she is? I needed to know more.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 05:54 AM
"Not Hell," Victor explained. "This is very real. She is not aware that she even died."

It's as though he were reading my thoughts.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
28-02-2013, 04:51 PM
(I'm not bullshitting right now; but I actually wrote a big-long thing about Victor reading her thoughts in that last post, but I deleted it to avoid taking over the story. How.Fuckin'.Cool.)

"Then would you mind explaining it to us a little further?" Sam asked, vexedly. Victor opened his mouth to reply, but he said nothing. He hesitated, then let out another sigh. "I can't explain it to you," he said with an air of defeat. "You wouldn't understand."

Sam scoffed and walked away from the table, but I continued looking at Victor in silence. His shimmering white eyes looked at me with sorrow, and mine fell to the papers before me. I observed the text and wondered what it all might have meant. The strange symbols; curious in their form; like numbers combined with letters; an amalgam of every written language known to Man and some not yet known to anyone. My heart burned with frustration that Charlotte could not be reached through such means. If only it could be that easy. I'd seen it done before, and I knew it could be successful. After all, that's how I got my dear Sam brought back to me. But that was a matter of simple mortality, and the reversal of Man's submission to the Conqueror worm. But, as it seemed, Charlotte's dilemma was a different matter entirely.

"Victor," I asked, "where exactly is Charlotte, and how do we go about getting her back?"

Victor began to speak once more, but just as he had before, he hesitated in an apparent loss for words. "No," I said sternly, "I don't want to hear that it's too profound for my simple brain, or that I couldn't understand even if you told me. You're an oracle. An untrustworthy piece of shit, but an oracle none the less. Find a way to explain it to me so that I can understand."

I had apparently been spending too much time with Sam. He was beginning to rub off on me.

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
28-02-2013, 10:25 PM
(28-02-2013 04:51 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  (I'm not bullshitting right now; but I actually wrote a big-long thing about Victor reading her thoughts in that last post, but I deleted it to avoid taking over the story. How.Fuckin'.Cool.)
I've been waiting for you to get carried away. I assumed it was inevitable Big Grin P.S.-Found a German word for "change." (At least I hope I researched correctly. And I couldn't do the dots at the top of the A... Bummer.) Consider

"Imagine a video recording," Victor began. "Scenes will always remain the same; They will play out exactly as they unfolded as captured by the camera. The only way to alter what has been recorded, one must intervene and record over what has been there. An edit if you will."

I was understanding what he was saying, but it seemed impossible to alter the past.

"So how do we...?" I began. Victor cut me off. (His arrogance always irritated me.)

"We just need to use the Anderung," he stated as if it were common knowledge.

I went to the machine and removed the Anderung to take a closer look. I turned it over and over in my hands. I had only ever looked at it in pictures. I brought it over to Victor so he could see.

02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
*Is suffering from temporary writer's block. Will resume when able*

03-03-2013, 12:48 AM
"We need to set it at the desired time; in this case, right before the incident," Victor said. "I'll never forget it. I can imagine it as though it happened yesterday." He began telling the story of Charlotte's last day.

That morning, Charlotte was pumped and excited. "This is going to work," she said. "It HAS to..."

"You can't be too certain of anything, darling," Victor playfully teased.

She finished lacing up her boots, gathered her supplies and organized them neatly in her sack. Among those items was the Anderung. She walked over to Victor and kissed his cheek. (He wasn't always his true form. He liked to impersonate humans to be able to walk among them more easily.)

"Ready?" Charlotte's brown eyes shimmered.
"Do I have a choice?" Victor mused.

03-03-2013, 01:20 AM
She smiled sweetly, then positioned herself within the steel circle which lay in the center of the room. The circle itself was large enough to fit several individuals standing in close proximity - approximately six feet in diameter - and was connected to the machine by a series of thick copper wires. These wires slithered across the floor and up the leg of the table; upon which sat the heavy machine. Clad almost entirely in iron, the machine sported several large levers and cranks which connected to a series of visible gears; the inner workings of the machine itself. Victor approached the machine and began to turn a numer of levers, then wrapped his hand around the largest of them; which was situated in the center of the device. Hesitating, he raised his eyes to Charlotte. Neither of them spoke a word. Charlotte took a long, deep inhale through her pursed lips, then nodded to Victor.

He took a breath, then forced the lever downward.

03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
[Piano tribute to Metallica cover of Fade to Black playing in the background. AWESOME. Beautiful.]

The room began to tremble; an orange light beginning to glow brighter and brighter from the center of the machine. The lights dimmed and smoke began to rise from the bottom panel. They had done this countless times before today. Then it happened. A terrible grinding noise was heard and it slowly escalated into a high-pitched siren. It pierced his ears and he looked back at Charlotte; She was desperately trying to cover her ears as well. He assumed she screamed, but the noise had cancelled out all other noise.

The next moment, she collapsed to the ground. Was she in pain? There was no other indication that there was anything to physically harm her. He ran to the machine and tried to remove the Anderung. It wouldn't budge. He looked back at Charlotte and saw she wasn't moving.

He yelled to her, "Charlotte!" There was no response; she couldn't hear him anyway.

He tried even harder to remove the device from the machine. He gave one last mighty pull. It began to wiggle free. At last, the device was pulled free from it's spot. He fell back and landed on his back a few feet away due to the unexpected and sudden release.

04-03-2013, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 04:44 AM by Misanthropik.)
But no sooner had he regained his composure than did the machine begin a new and more terrifying sound. The orange light began to dim and brighten again before changing in hue to a deep, malevolent shade of red. The machine's gears - which had continued to spin - slowly wound to a stop; then began to pick up speed again in the opposite direction. Victor's heart froze in his chest and his eyes widened. The portal which surrounded Charlotte's unconscious body began to spark with brilliant flashes of blue and white as an energy field in the shape of a dome attempted to envelop the space above.

Realizing suddenly that he must take action, Victor tossed the Anderung to one side and scrambled to his feet. He ran toward the portal in an attempt to pull Charlotte to safety, but as he did so, the dome suddenly apppeared in a jolt of electricity; making contact with his arm. As soon as he touched it, there was a deafening bang accompanied by a bright flash. Victor was thrown backward in a shower of sparks and began to convulse on the floor. The evil red light still emenated from the heart of the machine as the gears spun faster and faster with a sickening drone. Slowly, the rogue electrical current sparked and crackled through the metal ring of the portal; causing the electrical dome to become ever-more substantial. Soon, it ascended so high that it covered the entirety of the portal - and Charlotte's body which lay therein.

Victor regained consciousness, but his fleshly Human eyes had been imploded by the force of the electricity; rendering him completely blind. He attempted to find his bearings, but was overcome by the now-deafening whirring of the machine. Placing his open palm over both eyes, he summed all of his ethereal powers in an attempt to heal himself. With his sight restored, he uncovered his eyes and beheld his beloved enveloped in the impenetrable electrical dome. He was too late to save her. In the space of a single second, he could do nothing but watch as the dome exploded with a brilliant green flash; forcing him to cover his eyes.

When he finally opened them and looked around the room, his heart sank. Glowing plasma lingered in the air like the lights of the North, and the machine was slowly winding to a halt. The portal no longer sparked, and the deafening sounds had fully subsided. But most disheartening of all was the fact that Charlotte no longer lay in the middle of the portal. She was nowhere in the vicinity at all. Charlotte was completely gone.