Once upon a time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: Once upon a time...
He threw the Anderung out the shattered window. It disappeared in the bushes. He didn't even think, he just acted on his emotions.

Victor let out a small cry; Soon the tears flowed freely down his cheek. Victor walked over to the machine and stared. He felt responsible for what happened. She wanted to go ahead with the new plan and he knew there wasn't much he could say to deter her.

He thought about everyone else. What were they going to say? What will Richard do? He will never forgive him and he doesn't blame him.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
With a feeling of hopelessness overwhelming him, he collapsed backward onto the chair. He simply stared at the floor with a blank face. Many thoughts went through his mind, but he did not settle on any of them. They simply floated about like the glowing plasma which filled the air above the portal. He could do nothing but sit; comatose.

After what may have been minutes or hours, he raised his eyes to the damndable machine. It was still now; the red light which had been glowing from within it had gone dark, and the gears had long-since ceased their devilish movement. As he stared at the construct of iron and steel, a deep hatred began to build within him. He resented the machine and everything it represented. He detested that he had endeavored to construct it. With his eyes and his heart filling with hatred, he stood to his feet and approached the machine.

With an energetic determination, he began to repair the wires which fitted the machine to the portal. He labored restlessly, hour after hour, to reconstruct what had been damaged in the accident. And soon, his work was complete. The machine had been repaired, and he stared at it with malice. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed the activation lever in his hand and yanked it downward; snapping it off with force. He tossed the broken lever carelessly to the other side of the room and stood in the center of the portal. He continued to glare hatefully at the machine as its gears began to turn and the familiar orange light began to burn to life. Slowly, the machine gained momentum and the outer rim of the portal glowed with a dull blue - precisely as it should have done when Charlotte entered it.

After several seconds, Victor closed his eyes and a brilliant flash exploded within the confines of the small cottage. Immediately after, the machine began to wind down and the orange light dimmed. As for Victor, he was nowhere to be seen. He had gone to another place to be in solitude; leaving this wretched existence far behind.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
"So you just went into hiding?" I said it more as a statement than a question.

Victor just stared back at me.

"And you wonder why people don't respect you," I said.

"Let alone trust you," Sam said with a roll of his eyes. Victor didn't respond; He only stared off into another world.

There was an intense and awkward silence for the next few minutes. Nobody knew what to do or say to anyone. Finally, the uncomfortable silence got the best of Sam. He stood up abruptly and headed out the bedroom door.

"I'm getting some coffee," he said. "This is going to be a long night." I followed after him, leaving Victor in the room alone with his thoughts. I didn't know what to think. If Charlotte is still out there somewhere, I needed to find her. I had to have her back in my life. One hundred years has been too long. I missed her laugh and the way she could always deflate a tense situation. (How ironic that the tense situation we were currently in was essentially caused by her.)

I sat down at the table while Sam made coffee. It filled the cold house with a delicious aroma. I watched the liquid slowly fill the pot. Each drop seemed to relax me further. When he sat the coffee in front of me, I realized how tired I was. Sam was right; If we were going to get anything done, we needed a caffeine fix. I drank my coffee while staring out the window. After my second cup, I realized I hadn't heard any movement from the bedroom Victor still occupied. I wondered what he was doing in there.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
05-03-2013, 05:59 PM
"I'm gonna go see how Victor is doing" I said to Sam as I stood up from my chair. "We've got to get a jump on this thing."

Still sipping my coffee, I walked into the room to find Victor. He was seated in his chair, right where we had left him, but he was no longer staring at the floor with regret in his eyes. He was now seated upright with his eyes closed; mumbling to himself in a low, almost inaudible tone. I stopped in mid-sip and simply stared at the bizarre scene. As I watched, it seemed as though he was whispering in sentences which matched what one might expect from an interactive conversation with another. Words would be muttered; his lips would cease as though he were listening; then they would begin moving once more in response.

"Victor?" I asked abruptly. His eyes shot open in surprise and he looked at me.

I looked back at him curiously. "...You ok?"

"I'm fine" he replied, shifting nervously in his seat. He cleared his throat. "What do you say we get things started?"

I tilted my head in a slight confusion, but I walked calmly to the desk which sat beneath one of the nearby windows and placed my coffee down. I couldn't help but wonder what he had been doing when I entered the room, but I resolved to ask him at a later time. There was far too much work ahead to have my attention stolen by other things.

05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Sam entered the room soon after.

Upon arrival, he exclaimed, "I'm ready for anything!"

"That's the spirit," I said with a smile and raised my cup to him. He raised his back in the universal "cheers" gesture.

Victor got up and walked to where the paperwork lay scattered on the desk. He slowly sifted through the papers until he seemed to find what he had been looking for. He picked up the aged document and began reading it. Sam looked at me; He raised his eyebrows and I responded my shrugging my shoulders.

"Care to share what you find so interesting?" I asked.

"I'm just trying to..." Victor began and then suddenly, he sat the papers back on the desk and walked toward the machine. He leaned around toward the back section of the machine. I could hear him trying to pry something off. Soon, he was lifting the entire back panel of the machine and set it off to the side on the floor.

I picked up the Anderung and walked over to him. I peered over his shoulder to get a better look. There were even more buttons and wires inside. There was a small knob that he was slowly turning.

06-03-2013, 10:49 AM
"I see you've made some additions since I was last here" I said dryly.

"Yes," he responded, "Charlotte was of the belief that we were not exercising our full potential in our studies. She believed that there was still more we could do."

As he continued to adjust the various buttons and levers inside the machine, Sam removed his gun from the rear of his pants and placed it on the table in front of him before sitting down to sip his coffee. Sam was always a watcher. It did not matter the situation; he tended to sit back and observe the circumstances and wait for his precise moment to take appropriate action. That's why I felt safe with him. It was difficult to tell what was going on inside his head at any given time, but I knew that if a situation called for it, he would act immediately with discernment and effectiveness.

07-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Sam stood and went to another cabinet. He reached up and pulled down the small radio that was sitting on top. He blew the dust off and plugged it into the outlet. He turned the dial and soft, classical music began to play. I couldn't place the name of the song, let alone the composer.

"It's Beethoven's Sixth Symphony," Sam said and smiled. "It's too damn quiet in here."

"Thanks," I said.

The music began to pick up; It really was beautiful.

Sam walked over to the desk where the plans lay scattered. He flipped over the various pieces of paper. He held up a tattered piece with a few strange symbols and a diagram of some sort. There were small, hand-written notes in the bottom corner. The writing was light and wispy. It was Charlotte's handwriting.

"Hey, Vic. What's this?" he asked.

09-03-2013, 01:51 AM
*Suddenly, John walked in and was waaaaay too drunk, but he promises he'll kick-start the story again the first sober chance he gets* Laughat

09-03-2013, 01:59 AM
(09-03-2013 01:51 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  *Suddenly, John walked in and was waaaaay too drunk, but he promises he'll kick-start the story again the first sober chance he gets* Laughat
*How did I guess when I saw that there was a new post in this that you would say something like that?*

Oh, you...
Laughat

12-03-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 09:26 PM by Peanut.)
Victor looked up and the second he saw the paper, his pulse quickened and he knew that if he didn't keep his cool, his features would give away his biggest secret. His and Charlotte's secret. He casually walked over to Sam and gently pulled the paper from his grasp. He began to study the paper-for the benefit of the men in the room. While "examining" the note, his thoughts drifted back to the most wonderful and heartbreaking moment of his life.

"I love you, Victor," she said with a smile. "I've never met anyone like you. We can run away together. We can start a new life with each other, and..." She slid her hand over her small belly. She smiled at him again and reached up with her other hand to touch his shoulder. He flinched. The look of hurt on her face caused him so much sorrow. He didn't want to hurt her, but he was scared.

"I'm sorry," he said and grasped her slender hands in his own. He pulled them up to his lips and kissed them. She took a deep breath and looked down at the floor. He reached down and tilted her head up so she could meet his gaze. A single tear fell from her cheek. She quickly smiled, though. (She was always smiling; Even when her heart was breaking, she always managed to smile or giggle. That is why he loved her. She saw hope in the most hopeless of events.)

"I know that is the life you want, Victor," she said slowly. "I know you want to be happy, but...you won't admit it! You keep building up walls around yourself and you try to prevent anyone from getting close." She pulled her hands away and started pacing the room. She stopped in front of the open window. "Just let me IN. Let me make you as happy as you've made me."

Hearing her say those words warmed his heart; the same heart he thought of as a cold, impenetrable vessel up until he met Charlotte. She caused him to feel alive and happy. She was able to sneak her way into the fortress he erected so long ago. She broke through the walls and she wasn't going anywhere without a battle. She was determined to make her presence known and he was going to have to live with it. Victor walked up behind her and rested his chin on top of her head. He inhaled her sweet smell.
"Okay," he whispered.

"It's going to be tough," she said pointedly. "I know it isn't going to be easy, but with you, with us together, I feel we can make it through anything."

"You and your hope," he teased.

"I like to be optimistic," she returned and and tilted her head to the side so he could kiss her cheek.

A few weeks went by.

Everything was progressing normally and their baby was healthy. He was more happy than he ever remembered. He allowed this woman into his life, and he was so happy he did. They were inseparable. They started to believe in the future and all the wonders they could share with the tiny baby that was due to arrive in a matter of a few months.

One night, during a vicious and treacherous thunderstorm, he awoke with a start. He sat straight up in bed. The wind was howling outside and lightning lit up the room as though it were the early morning sun rising. Rain was pelting the roof in a torrent; Like waves crashing upon the sea shore.

He looked over to Charlotte's side of the bed. She wasn't there. A strange feeling came over him. He slowly tossed the blanket aside and swung his feet over the side of the bed. He stood up and began walking toward the bathroom.There was a faint light glowing behind the door frame. He reached the door as another mighty thunderclap rang out. He put his ear to the door, his right hand resting on the doorknob. He heard a soft whimper. He asked, "Charlotte? Are you okay?"

There was a sudden crashing sound from within the washroom. He tried to turn the knob, but it was locked. He heard another whimper and a sob from a defeated and utterly sad woman. He reared back and slammed his shoulder into the door, breaking it open on impact. He saw her sitting on the floor, tears streaming down her face. There was so much blood on the floor around her. She looked at him with dead eyes. There was no life in them. She was indeed defeated.

"I can't even provide a baby," she sobbed. "How could this happen?"

He went to her then, tears stinging his eyes. He knelt down beside her and pulled her close to him. He ran his fingers through her sweat-soaked hair. She leaned her fragile, broken body into his. Her body shook with heart wrenching sobs for what seemed like hours. They stayed in that room until the early morning sun peeked through the window. They didn't speak a word to each other. They simply grieved for their lost baby together.

After they cleaned up the room and she washed herself, she walked like a zombie toward their bed. She lay down and closed her eyes. He decided to go out back to clear his head and let her rest. He chopped wood for what seemed like hours. He only stopped when his hands began to ache and his arms felt like rubber. He walked inside and up to their bedroom. When he entered, Charlotte was sitting at the desk. She was writing in a frenzy. She looked up and the look in her eyes were of determination. She held up the paper on which she was writing.

There were symbols drawn and strange number sequences. The writings didn't seem to yield any discernible pattern.

"I know how to bring her back," she said in a slow, eerie voice. Then she smiled, a truly mad and obstinate face stared back at him...