One Hour of Fact Checking the Alkaline Diet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Sad One Hour of Fact Checking the Alkaline Diet
So, my Sister started a new Alkaline Diet. She raves about it. Apparently she sleeps less while feeling more awake. But it's supposed to help Autism somehow Huh the type that comes from vaccines of course Rolleyes and the diet also cures cancer [if there was a facepalm emoticon, it would be here].

My Sister's diet seemed kinda suspicious, but so did Dad's slow-carb diet and it was fine (and if you are diabetic the slow-carb diet will save you money on insulin, since it keeps blood sugar constant. This was in an actual review from a neutral source). Unfortunately, I didn't even have to get to reviews to find a problem with my Sister's. This sucks because she feels great, and I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy (being protein shakes and what-not, but still involves real food), I'm just not sure it's doing what it says it's doing. I would like someone to fact check my fact check. Because the more I check the more my BS meter goes off. And I'm a physicist, not a chemist or a doctor.

Now, according to my Sister the company she's buying from is called 7.2 and named after the pH your body is supposed to be. The site http://www.sevenpoint2.com/recovery.html?country=us is so far unhelpful in saying how you are supposed to determine that, at least as far as I've looked. The average human blood is between 7.35 and 7.45, which is more alkaline.

Fortunately this guy http://www.phmiracleliving.com/Articles/...ingpH.html , who is apparently the founder of the alkaline diet, is willing to tell you it is the pH of your piss and spit before breakfast, and is willing to explain how it works. Apparently (according to him) you build up acid in the night... somehow. Which contradicts what my Sister says about a high acid diet. [And (using the logic of the diet) if eating a regular base doesn't alkalize your blood, how would eating acid? Sense this does not make.]

From what I can tell "In a pH balanced body. urine is slightly acid in the morning, (pH = 6.5 - 7.0) generally becoming more alkaline (pH = 7.5 - 8.0) by evening in healthy people primarily because no food or beverages are consumed while sleeping. Whereas, during the day the body buffers the pH of the food and beverages consumed by releasing electrolytes and the pH level goes up. This process allows the kidneys to begin the elimination process slowly." (http://www.chemcraft.net/acidph2.html). And a lot of the things I'm seeing say that a pH above 8.0 in urine is generally bad (possibly leading to kidney stones, same with below 6.0), and this guy says it should be between 7.2 and *8.4.*

He also says, "Bottom-line acids are the expression of all symptomologies and the direct cause of ALL sickness and disease." Now, I was under the impression that many sicknesses and diseases were *directly* caused by micro-organisms, and that is why we wash our hands. Indirect causes can vary, up to and including unrelated micro-organisms.

I can find zero actual research on this. It's all anecdotal, or the occasional doctor/nutrionist saying it makes no sense. I prefer to err on the side of data, but I'll take an expert opinion if the other option is stories presented by the company to make them look legit.

But let's go back to 7.2. I have looked at one product (see previous link to sevenpoint2). The product that puts Hydrogen in your blood. Don't get me wrong, that gets rid of free radicals by binding to them... but free radicals are OH molecules... and you increase pH by adding OH- molecules, this should lower your pH which seems counter productive. Also: "The patent pending process used to create HydroFX was developed by a PhD, Chemist and Scientist with 30 years experience in this field." And the Chemist was named... what exactly? Are they denying him credit? That's a dick move, and effectively copyright infringement (patent infringement?). Did he ask for his name not to be associated with it? That is suspicious.

And I don't mind anyone from any field starting a company in another one... but why have someone who specializes in back pain *advertise* for nutrition? Shouldn't they hire... a doctor, or nutrionist, or at least a bloody Chemist? Maybe the Chemist with 30 years of experience who *developed* the bloody formula that is being sold?

And don't tell me they can't hire someone for less suspicious marketing. Customer kickbacks go up to $1500 for something my Sister mentioned, I think signing people up... That is also suspicious, it sounds like they're adding a money scam to it.

I swear this is setting off my alarm bells at every level. And I don't know if I can or should tell my Sister. My diplomacy is shit. This comes with the afore mentioned autism (Mild Autism Spectrum Disorder, I'm one of those rare officially diagnosed ones). As far as I'm concerned my genes/early development traded diplomacy for math... I'm cool with that.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Knights who say NI!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: One Hour of Fact Checking the Alkaline Diet
So... is your sister doing stupid shit to "fend off" autism? Because uh... oh, never mind... I'm sure you already know. Wink

Glad you decided to stick around.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Tell her to google homeostasis.

'Murican Canadian
08-12-2014, 02:26 PM
She will already have a profound mistrust of science, recent studies have shown presenting people with the facts makes them double down out of resentment. Try to convince her in a way that will make sense to her, don't bring down the law. I'd recommend asking questions, don't tell her it's a load of bollocks, ask her questions that if she thinks about she will conclude herself that it's a load of bollocks, like "How do you know acidity causes disease", when she answers, ask her how she knows that etc. don't be confrontational either, "ask as if you're curious" if you get what I mean.

"A witty quote means nothing"
08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Good news! We have a facepalm emoticon.

Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-12-2014, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 12:23 AM by MPythonGirl.)
(08-12-2014 10:08 AM)kim Wrote:  So... is your sister doing stupid shit to "fend off" autism? Because uh... oh, never mind... I'm sure you already know. Wink

Glad you decided to stick around.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

No, she isn't trying to "fend off" autism. Though she has taken the story to heart about how the alkaline diet is curing a child who got it from vaccines Facepalm (thanks to the Can_Of_Beans for showing me this emoticon). It's one of their selling points. She just mentioned it because I have autism.

She is perfectly fine with science, so long as it has an explanation, if it doesn't... well, she thinks her house is haunted too. I will note that she does *feel* amazing while taking the products, so she tried it before she made a judgment (I figure it's either the extra protein, or it has a stimulant). I think it's kinda like those people who have a "personal experience with god" at this point Facepalm
I want to thank everyone who responded... it's so nice to be able to rant, and get validation instead of a mixture of indifference, being told I'm wrong, or being told I need to be more open minded. And I will definitely take the advice to heart.

Knights who say NI!
[+] 1 user Likes MPythonGirl's post
10-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Everyone here in South Africa it seems is on the Banting diet (don't ask)... It's not that I have a problem per se, it's that the "research" seems generally to be of the standard: "My aunt Jenny cured her coproliths with it, and she drank a glass of arsenic a day to boot!"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-12-2014, 04:48 AM
(10-12-2014 07:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Everyone here in South Africa it seems is on the Banting diet (don't ask)... It's not that I have a problem per se, it's that the "research" seems generally to be of the standard: "My aunt Jenny cured her coproliths with it, and she drank a glass of arsenic a day to boot!"

Of course I had to look the Banting diet up. I swear it's almost a compulsion. The idea that there is a diet that says animal fat is good is exceedingly foreign, no surprise there, but I recognize it as the standard crop of woo. Woo does not care if it counters science or co-woo, as long as it has followers. It seems slightly extra batshit, because it claims one type of fat isn't fattening Facepalm you have my sympathy for having to put up with your local woo. I'm sure the advice in this thread will work for you too.

PS. Seether is awesome.

Knights who say NI!