"One Nation Under God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
"One Nation Under God"
It's been heavily debated whether the phrase "one nation under God" should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. Everyday students in public schools recite these words, regardless of their viewpoints. This, of course, promotes the Christian doctrine and, essentially, encourages Americans to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. As an atheist, I object to this. As an American, I object to this. In my opinion, public schools should not have a bias towards any religion, considering they are funded by taxpayers.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of discussing this was a born-again Christian. He quickly dismissed this idea, stating that Christian values are the foundation for this country and, as a result, should not be changed. He also believed that "one nation under God" applied to religions other than Christianity, and didn't assert a bias towards Christianity.

I politely disagreed; "one nation under God" only applies to a select group. "God" is singular, eliminating any polytheistic religions, such as Hinduism. The term "God" does not equate to "Allah", meaning this phrase doesn't apply to Islam. Lastly, Buddhists and secular thinkers refute the existence of a deity. There are only four major world religions and only one major religion applies to this phrase.

If anyone else has anything else to add, I would love to hear it! - Belle Marie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BelleMarie's post
04-08-2016, 07:32 PM
RE: "One Nation Under God"
Treaty with Tripoli, 1797.
Written by the Washington Administration, signed by Adams, and passed unanimously by the Senate

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Well I totally agree and anyone who doesn't needs to be reminded that our founding fathers were mostly deists and felt strongly that a freedom of religion is also a freedom from religion.

Even many of the first settlers of the original colonies were escaping religious prosecution, where they came from they were being forced to believe one particular denomination so they wanted to find a place they could literally believe whatever they wanted, in that spirit atheists should be respected with any and all mentions of any God or Gods removed from our money, our court buildings and our schools. Not doing so implies a bias to one religion...kind of like what those other countries in Europe were doing.

If anyone says to you again that our country was founded as a Christian nation remind them that the notion of a separation of church and state was a very important concept since it made us different than England who literally had a Church of England that gave the royal family divine right to rule and they never wanted anything like that to happen here. Also impress onto them that Christianity was used to condone slavery and to restrict the rights of women and homosexuals even to this very day so should we go back to slavery then? Should we take the right to vote, own property and get a divorce away from women? Should we jail homosexuals? Since we are founded on Christianity and all?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like SitaSky's post
04-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Agreed with the last two posters, but also interesting to note that we didn't put the phrase "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance until the summer of 1954. So for about six decades, from the 1890s to then, it wasn't there.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
"One Nation Under God" was added in 1954 during the height of McCarthyism because the original sounded too Commie. Kindly tell your Christian friend that he's right, the original shouldn't have been changed. The version recognized by Congress in 1942 reads: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
(04-08-2016 07:43 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed with the last two posters, but also interesting to note that we didn't put the phrase "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance until the summer of 1954. So for about six decades, from the 1890s to then, it wasn't there.

Blame the "red scare" of the 50's for that.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-08-2016, 07:56 PM
(04-08-2016 07:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 07:43 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed with the last two posters, but also interesting to note that we didn't put the phrase "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance until the summer of 1954. So for about six decades, from the 1890s to then, it wasn't there.

Blame the "red scare" of the 50's for that.

And the Daughters of the American Revolution, Sons of the American Revolution, and Knights of Columbus putting pressure on (as part of the Red Scare). Gotta own up for what my Knight buddies did...well, forebearers of my buddies. But yeah, agreed.

[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
04-08-2016, 08:06 PM
(04-08-2016 07:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 07:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  Blame the "red scare" of the 50's for that.

And the Daughters of the American Revolution, Sons of the American Revolution, and Knights of Columbus putting pressure on (as part of the Red Scare). Gotta own up for what my Knight buddies did...well, forebearers of my buddies. But yeah, agreed.

You have a micropenis don't you?

#sigh
04-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Quote:, stating that Christian values are the foundation for this country

Why don't you try asking him what those so-called "values" might be?

Because beyond murdering the Indians and stealing their land it is hard to come up with anything biblical.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
(04-08-2016 08:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 07:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And the Daughters of the American Revolution, Sons of the American Revolution, and Knights of Columbus putting pressure on (as part of the Red Scare). Gotta own up for what my Knight buddies did...well, forebearers of my buddies. But yeah, agreed.

You have a micropenis don't you?

Nope.