"One Nation Under God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 08:28 PM
RE: "One Nation Under God"
(04-08-2016 08:22 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 08:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You have a micropenis don't you?

Nope.

You certainly act like one.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
(04-08-2016 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 08:22 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Nope.

You certainly act like one.

Cool story bro.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2016, 08:39 PM
(04-08-2016 07:26 PM)BelleMarie Wrote:  If anyone else has anything else to add, I would love to hear it! - Belle Marie
Why on Earth are American schools forcing little kids to get up and recite a pledge of allegance. That is just freaky brainwashing and is so not 21st century free world behaviour. Don't worry about the phrase "One Nation Under God", get rid of the whole pledge.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-08-2016, 08:52 PM
(04-08-2016 08:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why on Earth are American schools forcing little kids to get up and recite a pledge of allegance.

Nobody forced Girly. I sat respectfully. Here is how the pledge of Allegiance to the Flag should read,

Sometimes I stood. and recited Bellamy's original pledge: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." That kinda pissed them off.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-08-2016, 08:53 PM
I'd just like to add a slight correction to the OP, that "god" in "under god" pertains to Abrahamic religions, not just Christianity. So, that being said, god is the same god of the Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-08-2016, 08:58 PM
(04-08-2016 08:53 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'd just like to add a slight correction to the OP, that "god" in "under god" pertains to Abrahamic religions, not just Christianity. So, that being said, god is the same god of the Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Nobody can.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-08-2016, 05:56 AM
(04-08-2016 08:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 07:26 PM)BelleMarie Wrote:  If anyone else has anything else to add, I would love to hear it! - Belle Marie
Why on Earth are American schools forcing little kids to get up and recite a pledge of allegance. That is just freaky brainwashing and is so not 21st century free world behaviour. Don't worry about the phrase "One Nation Under God", get rid of the whole pledge.

They are subjected to it but not forced. You aren't able to be punished or anything or ever yelled at for not saying it or standing. I know a bunch of times in highschoool I just sat or stood there, The only time I recall anyone ever caring was one kid in my Gym class. Though that Kid I also recall being a person who in the morning after Bush won again was chanting 4 more years down the hall.

i love the actual legal rulings on these Under God or In God We Trust statues. The actual supreme court of back in the 50s or 60s had a case about it but the precedent stands as what the ruling opinion stated, that since the phrase basically doesn't actually MEAN anything, it's not actually supporting a religion, it's just a nonsense phrase. It's such a weak copout.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-08-2016, 07:23 AM
How about one nation under Canada ? I heard that somewhere and it made me laugh.
[+] 7 users Like adey67's post
05-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
05-08-2016, 10:22 AM
A guy I know was in middle school when they made the change adding the phrase "under god" --- and he asked the teacher "Which one"???

It got him a trip to the principal's office.........

The principal couldn't come up with a specific one either....

Go figure......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post