"One Nation Under God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 01:56 AM
RE: "One Nation Under God"
(04-08-2016 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 08:22 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Nope.

You certainly act like one.

I'm just happy they started to make bathrooms that accommodate folks with massive dongs like me.

[Image: tumblr_o87rn1JzJy1tyap34o1_540.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
08-08-2016, 07:39 PM
(07-08-2016 05:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Seriusly, is this some kind of a running joke between you two, or are you really being a dick? Because Girly, I didn't know you could be like this and if it's true I'm pretty disappointed.

Sometimes Gilry gets upset that he has a micropenis and lashes out.

#sigh
08-08-2016, 07:46 PM
(08-08-2016 01:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm just happy they started to make bathrooms that accommodate folks with massive dongs like me.

I'm just happy you've finally admitted you're a massive dong. Yes
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
09-08-2016, 11:46 AM
(04-08-2016 07:26 PM)BelleMarie Wrote:  It's been heavily debated whether the phrase "one nation under God" should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. Everyday students in public schools recite these words, regardless of their viewpoints. This, of course, promotes the Christian doctrine and, essentially, encourages Americans to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. As an atheist, I object to this. As an American, I object to this. In my opinion, public schools should not have a bias towards any religion, considering they are funded by taxpayers.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of discussing this was a born-again Christian. He quickly dismissed this idea, stating that Christian values are the foundation for this country and, as a result, should not be changed. He also believed that "one nation under God" applied to religions other than Christianity, and didn't assert a bias towards Christianity.

I politely disagreed; "one nation under God" only applies to a select group. "God" is singular, eliminating any polytheistic religions, such as Hinduism. The term "God" does not equate to "Allah", meaning this phrase doesn't apply to Islam. Lastly, Buddhists and secular thinkers refute the existence of a deity. There are only four major world religions and only one major religion applies to this phrase.

If anyone else has anything else to add, I would love to hear it! - Belle Marie

This country was founded first and foremost with the idea that each man's life belongs to him and that he should seek his own happiness. This is incompatible with Christianity's morality of seflessness and sacrifice. Nuf said.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-08-2016, 01:47 PM
(04-08-2016 07:26 PM)BelleMarie Wrote:  It's been heavily debated whether the phrase "one nation under God" should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. Everyday students in public schools recite these words, regardless of their viewpoints. This, of course, promotes the Christian doctrine and, essentially, encourages Americans to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. As an atheist, I object to this. As an American, I object to this. In my opinion, public schools should not have a bias towards any religion, considering they are funded by taxpayers.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of discussing this was a born-again Christian. He quickly dismissed this idea, stating that Christian values are the foundation for this country and, as a result, should not be changed. He also believed that "one nation under God" applied to religions other than Christianity, and didn't assert a bias towards Christianity.

I politely disagreed; "one nation under God" only applies to a select group. "God" is singular, eliminating any polytheistic religions, such as Hinduism. The term "God" does not equate to "Allah", meaning this phrase doesn't apply to Islam. Lastly, Buddhists and secular thinkers refute the existence of a deity. There are only four major world religions and only one major religion applies to this phrase.

If anyone else has anything else to add, I would love to hear it! - Belle Marie

I'm sorry but. your friend is a self-righteous ignorant wanker, Islam is a monotheistic religion as is Judaism ditch the dick he has no good advice for you and is a total tosser.
11-08-2016, 11:00 AM
(09-08-2016 11:46 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  This country was founded first and foremost with the idea that each man's life belongs to him and that he should seek his own happiness. This is incompatible with Christianity's morality of seflessness and sacrifice. Nuf said.

This country was founded by many different people who had different motives for coming here. Some of them, such as the Pilgrims, Puritans, and Quakers, came so they would have freedom to practice their religions freely.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2016, 11:25 AM
(11-08-2016 11:00 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 11:46 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  This country was founded first and foremost with the idea that each man's life belongs to him and that he should seek his own happiness. This is incompatible with Christianity's morality of seflessness and sacrifice. Nuf said.

This country was founded by many different people who had different motives for coming here. Some of them, such as the Pilgrims, Puritans, and Quakers, came so they would have freedom to practice their religions freely.

It is true that many people settled the Colonies for the reasons you state... but that was a century and a half prior to the founding of the country's founding.

On the other hand, you're right about the variety of reasons for people coming here, and it needs to be recognized by those who try to claim that the USA was "founded as a Christian nation" that a large motivation behind the First Amendment was the fact that almost all of those sects fought against the rights of other sects to freely practice other, "wrong", denominations/religions, and it was therefore necessary to write a Constitution that stopped those efforts.

Indeed, the famous phrase "a wall of separation between Church and State" was from Jefferson's letter penned to the Danbury Baptist Association, assuring them that the new Constitution would protect them from religious persecution by the Presbyterians (I believe) that were dominant in their state.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2016, 07:58 PM
(11-08-2016 11:25 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 11:00 AM)theophilus Wrote:  This country was founded by many different people who had different motives for coming here. Some of them, such as the Pilgrims, Puritans, and Quakers, came so they would have freedom to practice their religions freely.

It is true that many people settled the Colonies for the reasons you state... but that was a century and a half prior to the founding of the country's founding.

On the other hand, you're right about the variety of reasons for people coming here, and it needs to be recognized by those who try to claim that the USA was "founded as a Christian nation" that a large motivation behind the First Amendment was the fact that almost all of those sects fought against the rights of other sects to freely practice other, "wrong", denominations/religions, and it was therefore necessary to write a Constitution that stopped those efforts.

Indeed, the famous phrase "a wall of separation between Church and State" was from Jefferson's letter penned to the Danbury Baptist Association, assuring them that the new Constitution would protect them from religious persecution by the Presbyterians (I believe) that were dominant in their state.

I'm talking about the reasons given in the Declaration for forming a new country, not who came here and for what reason. That is the basic premise of the Declaration: That man has the right to exist for his own sake and that the role of government is as a protector of individual rights. Where can I read about individual rights in the Bible. Where does the Bible tell me to pursue my own happiness. It tells me to die to self and to gain my life I must loose it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-08-2016, 09:42 AM
(11-08-2016 11:00 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

Yes and this principle of freedom to practice their religions is derived from the premise that man has a right to live for his own sake, i.e. to think for himself, believe as he sees fit, live by his own judgement and direct his cognitive activities without interference. This freedom belongs to him by virtue of his nature as a rational being whether he believes in a god or not. This is the root principle of the concept of religious freedom. basically you are free to be irrational if you want to.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post