One Reason I Love Canada

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Heart One Reason I Love Canada
It's hard to imagine the vast differences between Countries that are right next to each other. Even comparing Mexico to USA, besides the racial differences, the whole cultural and lifestyle differences from one and the other seems strange, considering their proximity. I suppose, putting super powers and money aside, Each country has the desire for individualism. However, that's just speculation on my part.

The American and Canadian federal laws I would have to say are very similar though. When it comes to provincial/state laws however, not so much. In fact I feel that some of our laws (though usually following suit with America) are met with less disdain or opposition for one magical reason: Canada actually fully applies a separation of church and state.

Now I can't say that Canada is not filled with religious people; I know many christians, some mormons (and derivatives thereof). We also are more lenient with immigration, so there are plenty of muslims here as well. However, in my lifetime, I have had the freedom from religion in every aspect of my life. I even went to a christian school in Alberta and religion was one class and there was a prayer at the beginning and end. It was not infused with science when we discussed evolution. It did not effect my ability or interest to learn.

Public schools were void of religion, unless you took a course in it. You were allowed to debate the belief system. Every province I have been to, no one has tried to shove religion down my throat (with the exceptional insane person or JW). We're open-minded to religion and are not an "atheist" country, but in my perspective we are an agnostic one.

I can't speak for the northern provinces. I had a friend who was from the Yukon and he hated religion because of how much he had seen in his school and how much religious people made fun of him. It also made him a petty tyrant, turning into a bigot against religious people, essentially becoming the thing that he hates. I can't speak for Nunavut either. It's cold enough in the provinces just below them. But in the more populated area, Canada as a whole is accepting of individualism and our Acts of Freedom are not persecuted as long as they are within all other laws.

A good example (for me) to show how much religion doesn't effect national thinking: We have religious channels, but we DO NOT believe nor own something similar to Fox News. We certainly can watch it here, but the information we receive is from CBC News, which is affiliated (owned by I do believe? I'll have to get back to you on that) with BBC, a network that covers news from around the world. Churches like WBC don't exist here (and if they no, they keep in hiding).

What I'm trying to say with all this is that I love Canada for not being a country overrun but religious fanatics. It's glorious.
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2010, 07:02 PM

RE: One Reason I Love Canada
Canada is glorious, or so all my transplanted relatives tell me. Smile
26-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Canada is a great nation. I have been to the states a number of times and met wonderful people there, but I feel more comfortable in Canada. I also felt almost as comfortable in Australia. It is very much like Canada.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, we're alright, but we're a lot more seedy and racist than people give us credit for... Granted, the religious separation is great, now if only the catholic schools would stop receiving public funding, that would be great. They denied me from going to their High School due to my non-belief, I merely wanted to go because the school was better and had more funding thanks to private and public money where the public high school only gets public funding. If you wanna keep me out, by all means, but don't take my tax money and then tell me I'm not allowed, or my parents tax money, or my grand parents tax money... I think we get the picture here...

Canada is okay Tongue

27-09-2010, 12:44 AM
I didn't know that about catholic schools getting government funds. You are right, that is crap and I don't like it either. Religions don't pay taxes, they shouldn't get funding.
27-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Maybe I should move to Vancouver...

Damn my lack of funds!

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2010, 12:25 PM
my husband is/was Canadian and we lived there when we first got married 20 years ago, but it's too darn cold for me! We had to come back to the South!
27-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Would you guys change your opinion about Canada if you knew that I was Canadian? Smile I suspect some of you thought I was from the Southern US or something Smile
27-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's a suprise to anyone that we have religion up here in the Great White North too. Part of the pride I have in Canada is that we are tolerant (well, fairly tolerant Wink) of ALL kinds.

Just visiting.

-SR
27-09-2010, 04:24 PM

(27-09-2010 03:26 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I don't think it's a suprise to anyone that we have religion up here in the Great White North too. Part of the pride I have in Canada is that we are tolerant (well, fairly tolerant Wink) of ALL kinds.

And thank you all for tolerating me! I mean that sincerely too!