One fantasy less: there will never be a Jurassic Park

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 09:02 AM
One fantasy less: there will never be a Jurassic Park
It has now scientifically been determined that DNA has a half-life of 521 years. Which means there will be no DNA left – none – after an absolute maximum of 6,8 million years. Which in turn means creating a Jurassic Park filled with cloned dinos is totally impossible without a time machine Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 09:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: One fantasy less: there will never be a Jurassic Park
http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-521...fe-1.11555
Last few paragraphs :

"The calculations in the latest study were quite straightforward, but many questions remain.

“I am very interested to see if these findings can be reproduced in very different environments such as permafrost and caves,” says Michael Knapp, a palaeogeneticist at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand.

"Moreover, the researchers found that age differences accounted for only 38.6% of the variation in DNA degradation between moa-bone samples. “Other factors that impact on DNA preservation are clearly at work,” says Bunce. “Storage following excavation, soil chemistry and even the time of year when the animal died are all likely contributing factors that will need looking into.”

Edit :
Read the comments : It's actually been done already with 135,000,000 year old bacteria. So something is screwy here. http://www.mhrc.net/ancientDNA.htm
Is there a flaw in the "half-life" business BeardedDude ? Isn't "half-life" a way to estimate radioactive decay ? There is no radioactive decay here. This is Biological decay, and would completely depend on the environment. If there are mammoths frozen the the perma-frost, or other remains frozen somewhere, then we don't know what they would find. No ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Is it possible to piece out newer mutations from older mutations in genes? Something along the lines of - deleting the "newer" "bird like genes" in birds so you "regress" back to a "dinosaur"?
11-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Soft tissues have already been recovered from dinosaur bones from the US midwest, but never contain any complete DNA. We can however look at some of the more closely related modern species and *tweek* their genetic code so as to turn pieces off and on. Meaning, we can make a chicken look like a dinosaur.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-10-2012, 09:19 AM
(11-10-2012 09:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-521...fe-1.11555
Last few paragraphs :

"The calculations in the latest study were quite straightforward, but many questions remain.

“I am very interested to see if these findings can be reproduced in very different environments such as permafrost and caves,” says Michael Knapp, a palaeogeneticist at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand.

"Moreover, the researchers found that age differences accounted for only 38.6% of the variation in DNA degradation between moa-bone samples. “Other factors that impact on DNA preservation are clearly at work,” says Bunce. “Storage following excavation, soil chemistry and even the time of year when the animal died are all likely contributing factors that will need looking into.”

Yep! And those are all factors that reduce the quality of DNA from that mathematical maximum – under PERFECT storage conditions – of 6,8 million years.
11-10-2012, 09:22 AM
(11-10-2012 09:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Soft tissues have already been recovered from dinosaur bones from the US midwest, but never contain any complete DNA. We can however look at some of the more closely related modern species and *tweek* their genetic code so as to turn pieces off and on. Meaning, we can make a chicken look like a dinosaur.

Don't you go making some Kirk Cameron kind of animal in that lab of yoursDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I wish I could do that. I leave that to the geneticists.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-521...fe-1.11555

Read the comments : It's actually been done already with 135,000,000 year old bacteria. So something is screwy here. http://www.mhrc.net/ancientDNA.htm

Is there a flaw in the "half-life" business BeardedDude ? Isn't "half-life" a way to estimate radioactive decay ? There is no radioactive decay here. This is Biological decay, and would completely depend on the environment. If there are mammoths frozen the perma-frost, or other remains frozen somewhere, then we don't know what they would find. No ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
(11-10-2012 09:22 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 09:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Soft tissues have already been recovered from dinosaur bones from the US midwest, but never contain any complete DNA. We can however look at some of the more closely related modern species and *tweek* their genetic code so as to turn pieces off and on. Meaning, we can make a chicken look like a dinosaur.

Don't you go making some Kirk Cameron kind of animal in that lab of yoursDrinking Beverage

I wish I could go into a lab and genetically engineer a crockaduck.

Failing that, I would really really really pay an arm and a leg for a plushy crockaduck to put in my office at work next to my plushy Cthulhu.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
(11-10-2012 09:52 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 09:22 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Don't you go making some Kirk Cameron kind of animal in that lab of yoursDrinking Beverage

I wish I could go into a lab and genetically engineer a crockaduck.

Failing that, I would really really really pay an arm and a leg for a plushy crockaduck to put in my office at work next to my plushy Cthulhu.

All it takes is some scissors, two plush toys and skills at sewing! Thanks for the idea! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post