One foot out of the closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: One foot out of the closet
My previous post was written from my phone. That's why it was so short. Allow me a little bit of room to expand...

As you can tell from reading this thread, this was a long and drawn out process for me. I let my doubts and suspicions about God drop a piece at a time, so that in the end, nothing really came as a surprise.

In our last conversation, my conclusion was pretty much the only thing left unspoken. Either she wasn't ready to hear it, or I wasn't ready to say it. I honestly don't know which.

In any event, this weekend we were cleaning out bookshelves and she put all my Bible-related stuff into a box and asked me what I wanted to do with them. "Don't get defensive. I just want to know what to do with all those books."

Now, a couple of these books were actual Bibles, and good ones, too (Scofield Study, Bullinger's Companion Bible), and I did not wish to part with them. If nothing else, they're really good resources. But a Greek Lexicon? An Interlinear? Daily devotionals? How to Study Your Bible? Etc. There is no chance at all of me ever cracking these books open again.

So I answered, "You really don't know, can't know, how important all of this once was to me. For you, religion is a part of your life. But for me, my faith was my identity. It was such an important part of who I was. It was important for me to know my faith inside and out. Now that I don't believe it anymore, it's really hard for me to part with it, because it's like admitting I was wasting my time and energy for so many years."

We'll be donating the books to a library or something. Most of them, anyway. I'll keep some. As a reminder. And a warning.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Like me on Facebook
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
24-06-2014, 07:05 AM
RE: One foot out of the closet
(23-06-2014 11:29 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  My previous post was written from my phone. That's why it was so short. Allow me a little bit of room to expand...

As you can tell from reading this thread, this was a long and drawn out process for me. I let my doubts and suspicions about God drop a piece at a time, so that in the end, nothing really came as a surprise.

In our last conversation, my conclusion was pretty much the only thing left unspoken. Either she wasn't ready to hear it, or I wasn't ready to say it. I honestly don't know which.

In any event, this weekend we were cleaning out bookshelves and she put all my Bible-related stuff into a box and asked me what I wanted to do with them. "Don't get defensive. I just want to know what to do with all those books."

Now, a couple of these books were actual Bibles, and good ones, too (Scofield Study, Bullinger's Companion Bible), and I did not wish to part with them. If nothing else, they're really good resources. But a Greek Lexicon? An Interlinear? Daily devotionals? How to Study Your Bible? Etc. There is no chance at all of me ever cracking these books open again.

So I answered, "You really don't know, can't know, how important all of this once was to me. For you, religion is a part of your life. But for me, my faith was my identity. It was such an important part of who I was. It was important for me to know my faith inside and out. Now that I don't believe it anymore, it's really hard for me to part with it, because it's like admitting I was wasting my time and energy for so many years."

We'll be donating the books to a library or something. Most of them, anyway. I'll keep some. As a reminder. And a warning.

Congratulations! Very well-managed! Thumbsup Thumbsup

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply