One in a sextillion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 12:17 PM by free2011.)
One in a sextillion
For me science is the ultimate argument against any type of God figure. The most obvious for me is the vast number of planets in the Universe. As near as I can determine there at least sextillion planets in the universe*. That's 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. Apparently God screwed up on all but one.

*Feel free to correct this if I'm wrong

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 01:20 PM by 17thknight.)
RE: One in a sextillion
(04-10-2011 12:13 PM)free2011 Wrote:  For me science is the ultimate argument against any type of God figure. The most obvious for me is the vast number of planets in the Universe. As near as I can determine there at least sextillion planets in the universe*. That's 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. Apparently God screwed up on all but one.

*Feel free to correct this if I'm wrong

Well, it's impossible to know how many planets are in our galaxy, or how many are in each individual galaxy. It's not even possible to know the exact number of stars in our galaxy, or any other.

That being said, your assumptions are not bad, and you make a good estimate. I would imagine there are AT LEAST a sextillion planets. Which is just such a crazy-huge number.

Let's keep this in mind:
1. We know the Universe is 14 billion years old because we can see out 14 billion light years. As light has only had time to travel through space for as long as the universe has existed, you look out, see how far you can see, and then you know the age of the universe.
2. Here's the thing, though, just because we can only see out to 14 billion light years doesn't mean that's the actual end of the universe. It's only the edge of the visible universe. Think of it like this: if you look up at the night sky with your naked eye you can only see so far into space, but that doesn't mean that space stops where you can no longer see any more stars, it just means you can't detect the light that is further out.
3. Why? Dark Energy and the acceleration/expansion of the universe. The universe is actually spreading out faster and faster the further things are away from each other. This has not happened throughout the universe's history, but it has been happening for a good chunk of it.
4. So what does that mean? Well, if the universe is expanding faster and faster, it has already expanded out far beyond what we can actually see.
5. In fact, at best, we can only see about 1/7 of the Universe.

So take your number times 7 and we might just begin to even scratch the surface of how many planets there are ;-)

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
04-10-2011, 01:00 PM
There's something kinda mystical trying to grasp numbers, time/space and distance like that. For me it's like the god part of my brain in motion.

Depending on the calculation/theorem one chooses, and there are a few, the guesstimate changes almost daily. I do remember some article that stated that the number of galaxies estimated has increased by 6 times in the last few months. That would include stars, planets, inhabitable planets, etc. It doesn't matter really except to cosmologists... but wow, what an incredible god to reality ratio!

reality / god = ???? gee, I can't divide by zero!

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
(04-10-2011 12:13 PM)free2011 Wrote:  For me science is the ultimate argument against any type of God figure. The most obvious for me is the vast number of planets in the Universe. As near as I can determine there at least sextillion planets in the universe*. That's 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets. Apparently God screwed up on all but one.

How is this an argument against God?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
(05-10-2011 10:25 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

I think his argument is based on the idea that many theists don't believe there is life on other planets, that we would God's one creation.

I'm not sure, however, on theological positions on life on other worlds so his assumption may not be correct.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
05-10-2011, 12:02 PM

(05-10-2011 11:06 AM)17thknight Wrote:  I'm not sure, however, on theological positions on life on other worlds so his assumption may not be correct.

Read the "Eerie Silence" by Paul Davies. He has a full chapter on it.
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
(05-10-2011 10:25 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

I suppose I should have said this is an argument against all religions that claim their god made the universe with them in mind. Obviously this doesn't "prove" anything but how anyone can look at the vastness of the universe and conclude that we are somehow special is delusional and arrogant.
06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
(05-10-2011 04:25 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I suppose I should have said this is an argument against all religions that claim their god made the universe with them in mind. Obviously this doesn't "prove" anything but how anyone can look at the vastness of the universe and conclude that we are somehow special is delusional and arrogant.

Then it isn't an argument against Christianity because the Bible says that only the earth was man for men.

Quote:The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.
(Psalm 115:16 ESV)

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
(06-10-2011 10:41 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.

Tell that to the Mormons...

Ooops, infidels.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
(06-10-2011 10:41 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 04:25 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I suppose I should have said this is an argument against all religions that claim their god made the universe with them in mind. Obviously this doesn't "prove" anything but how anyone can look at the vastness of the universe and conclude that we are somehow special is delusional and arrogant.

Then it isn't an argument against Christianity because the Bible says that only the earth was man for men.

Quote:The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.

Dude you're nitpicking. The point is the Universe is huge. The Earth is comparatively a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert. To believe that anyone’s "God" created it intentionally for human beings based solely on a book written 2,000 years ago isn’t quite thinking it through.